Hi all - this is a Scott Endorphin Elite carbon fibre mountain bike from the late 90's I think. According to some it's an appalling bike to ride, showcases everything that was wrong with mtb's in the 90's, is a load of old rubbish in every way & prone to the frame breaking &/or cracking as soon as you swing your leg over it. I have to say that my experience with the bike differs dramatically from this.
I've owned the bike since 2010 & it was a bit different then to the way it is now. I found it for sale on TZ-UK for a very reasonable price &, being in Lancashire (I'm a Yorkshire lad) it was even local(ish). I drove the 50 odd miles to see it, rode it, fell in love with it, parted with cash & it was mine It needed some work as it came fitted with a set of knackered Rockshock forks which I changed for a pair of Marzocchi's I had. This transformed the bike & I used it on the road to commute on for a good few years. It performed faultlessly in said role & lived a fairly gentle life but, after a tyre change, it also coped well with the (very) occasional bit of off-roading I threw its way. I loved the thing & found it to be without doubt the best handling bike I'd ever ridden up to that point - obviously the gearing wasn't ideal for the road but I'm no king of the mountains or yellow jersey wearer so it suited me fine really.
About 4 years ago it developed a bit of a creak from the bottom bracket (BB) area so, having looked up what to do on Youtube, I decided to have a go at replacing it. Unfortunately this didn't go according to plan as the bottom bracket was totally seized in the frame. I tried everything to free it off but was reluctant to too mad with the brute force method due to the frame material. For the same reason I didn't want to try heating the offending bit of metal either, as a result the BB remained well & truly stuck in the frame (though it was a bit hacked about by this stage)! I kept the frame as I'd liked the bike so much, they're not exactly common (far too rare to just throw away) & I thought that it'd probably make a good project at some point in the future. I then bought a Whyte hybrid for commuting duties through the cycle to work scheme - this is another excellent bike though nothing like the Scott in terms of handling.
Fast forward to last year & I finally managed to get the offending BB out of the frame with the help of an angle grinder, a die grinder (think of a big Dremel type tool) &, naturally, a hammer! Needless to say the threads on the BB were well & truly mullered & I ended up having to use a frame saver BB. Apparently these are a no-no but so what? According to some the whole bike's a no-no & I didn't really have any other option. It seems to work fine but I've not ridden the bike in anger or for any great distance yet - having said that I'm not expecting to have any problems with it. The frame looked to be cracked in a couple of places - from the effort of trying to remove the stuck BB - but once I'd stripped the paint off it turned out that the only crack was a small one underneath the BB, The other crack (on the down tube) turned out to be a crack in the paint (which is very tough & thickly applied). A carbon fibre patch kit was bought off Ebay & the area reinforced considerably - my repair is not particularly pretty but I can't see that area of the frame letting me down now.
So that got me to the rolling chassis stage - wheels, handlebars & forks attached - but no gears or brakes. The old Marzocchi suspension fork was now leaking (& strangely much heavier than I remember it being) so I decided to go rigid & get a pair of the carbon fibre forks that are available on Ebay for not much money. I ordered a set from China but these got lost in the post apparently so the next set came from the UK but cost a little bit more. Ebay (again!) & the parts bin in my garage provided brakes (no name hydraulic disc up front works OK - v-brakes on rear), gears, chain etc & the bike was built up.
I - more or less - finished the bike last night & gave it a quick ride around the estate. I found the riding position cramped on straight handlebars (which is what the bike was fitted with originally) but once I'd swapped these out for risers it all clicked into place & the bike became the comfortable, great handling & fun ride that I remembered it being. At the moment it's a 7 speed but I may fit the front derailleur & make it 21 again. I've toyed with the idea of making it a single speed but I'm realistic enough to realise that I'm just not fit enough (yet) to ride the bike any distance with only one gear ratio ......I may manage it if I've a few more gears to play around with.
Anyway just thought I'd share. It still needs fine tuning, & I may fit a shorter stem to see what difference that makes, but I'm happy to be able to ride the bike again!
The bike has gone from this as originally bought:
To this as my commuter with Marzocchi's & road tyres fitted:
To this with carbon forks & riser handlebars fitted: