Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
wr!ghty200

Where do you guys take your watches for services?

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to ask where other members take their collection to be repaired, serviced or to have any mods or restoration work done?

I currently do not have a local 'guy' who I would feel comfortable taking my watches to. I know at some point I will be needing the services of one so any advice or contacts would be grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A look at "Watch Repairers" may help, just scroll two or three topics further down on the forum. :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mel said:

A look at "Watch Repairers" may help, just scroll two or three topics further down on the forum. :yes:

Thanks for the reply Mel. I checked that thread before posting, not too much info really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok then try a Google on

"Rytetime" and contact Steve Burrage there, or Woodland Technical Services and contact Greg there - - many use them for repairs etc. Also possibly Bruce, forum member may help once out of hospital!

Lot depends on what you want done, and building up aportfolio of repairers you are happy to deal with yourself. Paul on the forum is your man for Electric Watches, he posts in the Electric section and is a world authority on early electro mechaicals !

Hth a wee bit

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22.2.2016 at 16:35, rogart said:

I send my Omega Chronoquartz from Sweden to Australia.  Lets hope it arrives safely and that it can be serviced? 

?? Why? So many good watchsmiths in the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2016 at 16:10, wild84 said:

?? Why? So many good watchsmiths in the EU.

Sorry for late answer. I couldn't find anyone wanted to work on that particular movement. Working perfect now .And well worth the wait. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22-2-2016 at 16:35, rogart said:

I send my Omega Chronoquartz from Sweden to Australia.  Lets hope it arrives safely and that it can be serviced? 

:huh: Don't you possibly have issues with customs twice ?? And the cost of secure shipping !?

You must be able to get local watch services in Sweden no ?

Come to think of it, on a Dutch forum I just read about a guy who just obtained a degree in London, and has recently moved to Sweden, if you want I can get you his coordinates.

edit: I should have read further, I see now why you sent it on ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2016 at 17:05, decraew said:

:huh: Don't you possibly have issues with customs twice ?? And the cost of secure shipping !?

You must be able to get local watch services in Sweden no ?

Come to think of it, on a Dutch forum I just read about a guy who just obtained a degree in London, and has recently moved to Sweden, if you want I can get you his coordinates.

edit: I should have read further, I see now why you sent it on ;)

That would be awesome. II think i could fix him up with a lot of work :) 

Acctually the guy i sent my chronoquartz is also from Europe. have no idea how that is possible. But he sent me the watch when he was here in Europe. Took some extra weeks but that was okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2016 at 22:24, mel said:

Ok then try a Google on

"Rytetime" and contact Steve Burrage there, or Woodland Technical Services and contact Greg there - - many use them for repairs etc. Also possibly Bruce, forum member may help once out of hospital!

Lot depends on what you want done, and building up aportfolio of repairers you are happy to deal with yourself. Paul on the forum is your man for Electric Watches, he posts in the Electric section and is a world authority on early electro mechaicals !

Hth a wee bit

So to recap, in the past few months, Steve B at Rytetime has mostly retired, Woodland have stopped taking new work and Bruce has left the forum. Oh and Paul had 2 moths off with a broken hand but is thankfully back in commission.  This post was a kiss of death!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Padders said:

So to recap, in the past few months, Steve B at Rytetime has mostly retired, Woodland have stopped taking new work and Bruce has left the forum. Oh and Paul had 2 moths off with a broken hand but is thankfully back in commission.  This post was a kiss of death!!!

:laugh::laugh:...lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such is life, the moment a "good" repairman comes along, he gets swamped with work and can't take any more for months - - -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably best not to make this general knowledge, but when I e-mailed Greg at WT asking if he could service my O&W, and mentioned that he came highly recomended by TWF, he replied by return saying there wasn't a problem, and quoted me a price for the work I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote a review a few weeks ago about Woodland Technical and I mentioned that I was not satisfied with the service I received and the timing of my Zenith Elite watch was erratic after the service. I also mentioned I had to keep calling Woodland Technical for updates because I had been left in the dark about what was happening with the watch and eventually it was serviced without being first given the quote and information what needed doing. I did add that the extras that were put on the invoice should have been included in the service if a full service had been undertaken. 

Somebody rang or emailed Woodland Technical about this review and as a result, the review was removed and the moderator was threatened with legal action . I myself received a threatening to sue email. I did at the time reply to Woodland Technical that what I had written was true(  defense of justification in legal terms) I had the necessary proof to validate my claims so no libel had taken place.

I did later at a later period when I received the watch back from Switzerland with the proof of service and price paid, contact the moderator. I explained and gave the relevant proof that I had looked on the Watch Forum prior to sending my timepiece   for service for recommendations and I chose Woodland Technical because of the good reviews I received from the Watch Forum concerning this company. I also sent relevant proof that proved my assertions were 100% correct and my mentioned my irritation that because of the problems I had had with initial service the whole episode has cost m close £500 with the second service. I said to the moderator that a system of reviews and recommendations can only be valid and fair if both positive and negative reviews are permitted otherwise watch enthusiasts will not be able to make an accurate choice as well as restricting freedom of speech. I think we can praise the Watch Forum and their moderator for defending members who wish to write their reviews without censorship by allowing my reentering of this  review

I stressed to the moderator that for this post that I will take responsibility for comments I have made. The truth is that if my original review had been left as it was without someone contacting Woodland Technical by now the post would have been forgotten as just a review amongst many but because I like to be given the opportunity  to state my case without threats I have reentered this post and stated my case.

I will add that I think this more than acceptable because I have been maligned as a fictitious character on Woodland Technicals website what the reviewers may say section.

I have reposted it in this section because this is where I entered the original post and if people think I am being unreasonable or malicious which I am not I can provide the relevant proof which I have 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While you may somewhere in your rambling overlong rant have a valid point, the issue as I see it is that you joined this forum (not related in any way with Woodland I trust you realise) solely to slate Woodland, seemingly with no intent of participating or contributing in any other way. I personally think this is basically rude and a little selfish and rather lessens any moral authority you may have otherwise had. 

Edited by Padders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Padders said:

While you may somewhere in your rambling overlong rant have a valid point, the issue as I see it is that you joined this forum (not related in any way with Woodland I trust you realise) solely to slate Woodland, seemingly with no intent of participating or contributing in any other way. I personally think this is basically rude and a little selfish and rather lessens any moral authority you may have otherwise had. 

 I did not join this forum to slate anyone. I have been a member for a long time but I had lost my original username which I have since found but being as I posted with my new username in the beginning I continued to post with this username.

I believe because Woodland was recommended by this forum I used them and I aired my dissatisfaction as other people have aired their praise. I believe it is rude and wrong because some members are Woodland fanboys they should try to stifle all content that goes against this fan club.

The idea that only one-sided content should be allowed is just not what the world is about.

This whole thing could have been sorted out amiably but certain parties decided not to. My post was correct and apt considering I obtained the information regarding this company on this site. It is rambling not to accept this

Just now, Hoffman said:

I will add to what I mentioned it is lessening ones moral authority to be a moral coward and only write what other people want you to write.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, fair point you are indeed entitled to your opinion and if it had been clear from the start that you were an existing member rather than a blow in with a grudge, I and perhaps several others may have listened wth a more open mind, out of interest what was your previous username?  I would love to hear more about the conspiracy of Woodland fanboys though, I personally have never used Woodland, never met or spoken with Greg (if that is indeed the owner's name) and have no axe to grind either way. If you feel you have received a less than fair airing then bear in mind it may be your method of putting the message across, not the content.

Edited by Padders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Padders said:

Ok, fair point you are indeed entitled to your opinion and if it had been clear from the start that you were an existing member rather than a blow in with a grudge, I and perhaps several others may have listened wth a more open mind, out of interest what was your previous username?  I would love to hear more about the conspiracy of Woodland fanboys though, I personally have never used Woodland, never met or spoken with Greg (if that is indeed the owner's name) and have no axe to grind either way. If you feel you have received a less than fair airing then bear in mind it may be your method of putting the message across, not the content.

 

I do not have a grudge towards  this company. I was completely dissatisfied with service I received that is all. I think a better outcome would have been achieved if the guy had been apologetic and understanding but I found the company to be arrogant. He had no desire to compromise. I had a bad experience from the beginning to the end. I do think this was exacerbated by our personalities 

I meant by fanboys that there are many on this forum who have had good experiences with Woodland Technical and I am pleased that they have but if someone has not had a good experience his wish to mention this on the forum should be respected. I have had services and business with different people that I am quite happy with but I know others who are not happy with these people, and I accept it. 

These emails threating to sue   the moderator and myself was really over the top. I think the moderator received almost 10 emails in a period of 2 hours. Should every company threaten to sue people who gave a review, not to their liking no one would read any reviews because they would know they are censored. I was the injured party and it cost me £480 for the 2 services before the problem was fixed.

I think when one has been treated shabbily often when we express it, we do not use the optimum form  of writing

I will admit I do not post much and I mainly read topics on forums but I find a lot of help from the watch and the clock forums. I own 7 watches and 10 clocks of all types. I did have a profile a long time ago and I cannot remember that one. The one I do remember is also quite new. The beginning of this year with no content, I have been more active on the watches and clocks forum the American site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for the record, and I am doing this from memory since the earlier posts were deleted was the timeline something like this:

1) Old Zenith watch with issues sent to Woodland

2) Poor communication from Woodland regarding necessary work, not uncommon with independent watch repairers in my experience, indeed the norm but annoying and unprofessional all the same.

3) Watch returned serviced but not running particularly accurately

4) You challenge Woodland regarding this and demand a refund. You complain that the watch isn't accurate and that the mainspring wasn't changed. 

5) Woodland suggest the the watch may have taken a knock in the post and offer to have the watch back and regulate it under warranty. They explain that they have no parts account with Zenith (same story everywhere with the Swiss makes) and that the mainspring may not have needed changing if the amplitude is sufficiently healthy: in any case they can't get a spring.

6) You refuse this and demand a refund.

7) Some increasingly stern words are exchanged and intransigent positions are adopted.

8) You send the watch to Zenith who charge you over £400?, presumably to regulate it, though of course they may have refinished it and changed some bits too.

9) You feel aggrieved and post a negative review on one or more websites

I have made many assumptions above. Have I misrepresented or omitted anything of substance? 

Edited by Padders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Padders said:

Just for the record, and I am doing this from memory since the earlier posts were deleted was the timeline something like this:

1) Old Zenith watch with issues sent to Woodland

2) Poor communication from Woodland regarding necessary work, not uncommon with independent watch repairers in my experience, indeed the norm but annoying and unprofessional all the same.

3) Watch returned serviced but not running particularly accurately

4) You challenge Woodland regarding this and demand a refund. You complain that the watch isn't accurate and that the mainspring wasn't changed. 

5) Woodland suggest the the watch may have taken a knock in the post and offer to have the watch back and regulate it under warranty. They explain that they have no parts account with Zenith (same story everywhere with the Swiss makes) and that the mainspring may not have needed changing if the amplitude is sufficiently healthy: in any case they can't get a spring.

6) You refuse this and demand a refund.

7) Some increasingly stern words are exchanged and intransigent positions are adopted.

8) You send the watch to Zenith who charge you over £400?, presumably to regulate it, though of course they may have refinished it and changed some bits too.

9) You feel aggrieved and post a negative review on one or more websites

I have made many assumptions above. Have I misrepresented or omitted anything of substance? 

 

You seem to know an exceptional lot about this case. This is correct there had been poor communication. I did not know where I stood concerning the watch. I had been promised a quote before any work was done but the work was done without my go ahead. The watch was returned and ran sometimes 40 seconds fast and others a few seconds. In some positions losing.

I did visit a Rolex and Patek dealer who put the watch on their timing machine. They confirmed that the amplitude was way out and I should get it serviced. I said, it has been serviced. They said, ask for your money back then, and do not send it back to the people who have serviced the watch. The watchmaker said it is a nice watch send it to Zenith. 

I then contacted Woodland Technical and I asked for a refund just for the service. He mentioned that the oil had probably corrupted the balance spring that is why it runs erratic. The email communication did get heated and I did not want to send it back because of my experience and because we no longer had mutual trust. He had at one time hinted I had opened the watch and damaged it myself which is nonsense because of the clip on back, is of the type that could not be opened with a case opener without damaging the case and there was no reason to open the watch. I am not a watchmaker and when the amplitude is bad a full service is needed or the escapement and balance need sorting out

I had asked before  while he had the watch that maybe the mainspring needs replacing and he gave some really exorbitant figure which made me lose confidence in the company. I never complained about the mainspring not being replaced. I did not complain but considered the invoice contained some extras which would normally be part of a full service. The Rolex dealer had agreed with me that a full service entails removing the cap jewels

I did eventually send the watch to Zenith in Switzerland for a full service and of course regulation. This took almost 3 months because they have a mid-summer holiday for 3 weeks in July. It cost me £365 at Zenith. They also changed a few parts.

I did post a negative review and about 5 days later all the posts were removed concerning this review while the moderator sought legal opinions after threatening emails from Woodland Technical.

I eventually sent all the details to the moderator to verify my claims were correct.

I will finish by asking how do you know all this. I think you know more than that I wrote in the original post several weeks ago.  Are you from Woodland Technical, you have not been a member very long according to your username

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a lot about it since if you recall I posted in response to your earlier complaint and I flatter myself that I have a pretty good memory. Your style of posting and how strange your tale rather stuck in the memory. I also noticed the spoof review on the Woodland site which jogged my memory and I will admit raised a smile.

Anyhow, so the watch was returned to you not running right and instead of letting the repairer sort it, you sought the no doubt highly impartial advice of an AD in what to do next. Did they perchance suggest arranging the Zenith service for you? I wonder why. How did you expect it to end from the point you decided to send it elsewhere? The original repairer's guarantee isn't transferable, he physically needs to have the watch in hand to fix it. I put it to you that you were unreasonable in sending it elsewhere and at this point bought this state of affair upon yourself. I would understand if the watch went to and fro 3 times and you got sick of it: I would too, but to not give the guy a chance to fix what may well have been shock damage in the post was just silly. As an aside, I had an Omega watch go to and fro an authorised dealer 3 times until it was fixed and eventually fix it they did, annoying yes but did it suggest they were shysters, err no. Did I rant and rave on the internet and try to destroy their reputation? Err no.

Next the issue of extra charges for parts. Now I assume you are aware that many independents are now barred from purchasing official parts for many Swiss watches. No? Maybe you should have read up more, perhaps during all those forum visits you vaguely refer to. Yes about that point, so you had a previous name, which you can't recall and you were mostly a reader not a contributor. That rather sounds to me like your status as a blow-in is correct, my initial skepticism was probably justified. Most independents are now reduced to purchasing from Cousins who are notorious for gouging on parts priced.  I can't comment on Woodland but pretty much every independent i have ever encountered makes it plain that the fee is for the basic service, parts are extra if indeed available at all. What exactly did you expect for your, what was it circa £100? Are you aware that even when available, some parts are bloody expensive. Crowns can be £50, Genuine Rolex mainsprings can be £50 etc etc. Did you think all parts were somehow included? Naive springs to mind. FYI, Genesis, Thewatchbloke, Rytetime, Webwatchmaker and all other independent repairers to my knowledge charge for parts as they become necessary. They don't have access to a big pot of free parts. It is the norm.

I wont comment on the threats of legal stuff since it is outside my province and I don't have the facts but based on your earlier comments I am taking your claims with a pinch of salt since you may have yet again over reacted.

Finally:

9 hours ago, Hoffman said:

I will finish by asking how do you know all this. I think you know more than that I wrote in the original post several weeks ago.  Are you from Woodland Technical, you have not been a member very long according to your username

I think this gives me a rather useful insight, though it is really only reinforcing what I already assumed. Mildly paranoid? Jump to negative conclusions easily? I know all this it because you posted it all in great detail and I have filled in the gaps since I have experienced how watch repair works by virtue of using the services of 5 or 6 different repairers. Take a look a the date next to my username. Do you consider joining in 2008 makes me a newbie? I have already stated my connection to Woodland (none) and I rather resent the implication that I am lying. There are several newbie posts likely to generate a rough reception on here and for that matter TZ. Firstly the veiled sales post of the kind ' I inherited this gold watch, what's it worth'. Secondly the kickstarter veiled sales posts. Thirdly strangers joining purely to make a point who contribute in no other way yet expect to use the forum as a soapbox and expect the existing crowd to shut up and listen. A bit like walking into a pub in a strange part of town and shouting over the existing conversation. It just jars.

I am sorry for your experience, perhaps the maxim buy cheap buy twice may be of use next time but IMO some of what occurred is down to you.

 

Edited by Padders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...