• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I'm trying to fulfil my resolution of visit 16 new places for 2016...

I went to Dublin last week (had an amazing time) and I saw adverts everywhere for the Titanic Musuem! so I was just wondering if anyone has been to the Titanic museum in Belfast? Is it worth a trip back over there?

Or if anyone could recommend a good museum that's worth a visit!? (Particularly London)

Jizzle

1. The new Clockmaker's Museum in the Science Museum.

2. The Clock and Watch Rooms at the British Museum.

3. The Royal Observatory in Greenwich.

• Like 1

The Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford is excellent. Its crammed full of glass cabinets which in turn are crammed full of stuff, there's absolutely loads of different items to peruse, including American Indian totem pole and shrunken heads,  you can then move onto  the Oxford University Museum of Natural history with its Dinosaur skeletons (a near life size replica if I remember correctly) and other natural history exhibits.

• Like 1

Not London but good old Townley Hall in Burnley Lancs. And they have a stuffed grizzly which my Dad told me they caught in the local woods.

brown-bear.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Not London but good old Townley Hall in Burnley Lancs. And they have a stuffed grizzly which my Dad told me they caught in the local woods.

brown-bear.jpg

Typical soft English stuffing the poor bear. In Scotland they turned in the boozer up alive and well for a pint.

:laugh: :laugh:

29FF13DD00000578-0-image-a-6_14353341023

• Like 2

EasyJet to Geneva, basel or Zurich and hire a car

Patek, omega, IWC, museum d'hologerie and Beyer in the country , plus more I have not yet visited

Or in the uk the natural history museum and the national gallery are world class. it's cheaper to get to Switzerland by plane than to london by train from me though!

• Like 1

YES!  The Titanic exhibition in Belfast is worth every penny, Anne and I went about 3 years ago, went in at opening time and kicked out at closing and still need to go back to finish it all off.  As BondandBiigM said, the Kelvingrove museum and Art gallery is superb but don't waste your time at the new transport museum in Glasgow.  It's mince!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Typical soft English stuffing the poor bear. In Scotland they turned in the boozer up alive and well for a pint.

29FF13DD00000578-0-image-a-6_14353341023

:laugh:

I remember that bear on the can of bitter must be about 1982.

• Like 1

Some others

Coventry motor museum

Hertitage motor museum

National motorcycle museum  (on a Sunday when the quarterly watch fair is on)

And an unsung old fortified manor house near Preston. Houghton Hall. I was lucky enough to stay in the turrets for a night (you can rent them like an apartment )

6 hours ago, Biker said:

It's mince!

I haven't heard anybody say that for years

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

:laugh:

I remember that bear on the can of bitter must be about 1982.

When I was a kid my Dad and I never missed the wrestling at the local town hall, saw Andy Robbins loads of times, he used the keep the bear in the back of an old bus, his signature move was the "power lock" which left his opponent crippled and unable to walk.

:biggrin:

1 hour ago, rhaythorne said:

I couldn't possibly let a thread about museums go by without a recommendation for my local and excellent Horniman Museum and Gardens in Forest Hill, South London.

Seconded, a great museum with superb collections :yes:

I'd also recommend the Natural History Museum in South Kensington. You'll get to see some of my work :thumbsup: I left some time ago but was an exhibition designer there for many years :)

9 minutes ago, dapper said:

Seconded, a great museum with superb collections :yes:

I'd also recommend the Natural History Museum in South Kensington. You'll get to see some of my work :thumbsup: I left some time ago but was an exhibition designer there for many years :)

What work would that be? Which exhibition? :)

16 minutes ago, jizzle said:

What work would that be? Which exhibition? :)

'Human Biology', 'Ecology', 'Mammals(Whale Hall)' & 'Creepy Crawlies'. And I put 'Diplodocus' in the main hall back in 1979 - soon to be moved :angry:

A few samples...

0vjZrQx.jpg

mdBOPIu.jpg

bLQKtGq.jpg

tBqNksE.jpg

Cheers :)

6 hours ago, Peixian said:

this year i plan to travel abroad ,:laugh: anyone could recommend some interesting museum ? thanks

There is the Spam museum in Austin Texas, right up your street I would have thought.

On 29 February 2016 at 20:59, Nigelp said:

brown-bear.jpg

Was it humping the tree when they caught it :biggrin:

On 05/03/2016 at 10:32, mcb2007 said:

Was it humping the tree when they caught it :biggrin:

No it was defending it's very favourite stick.