• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
E.C.Andersson

Creating a watch from scratch

Hi everyone!

I discussed my projects in other forums and got great help on a verity of questions which led up to my own watch project. I thought many of you might be interested in. 

I while ago I quit my job to chase my dream of creating a high-end wrist watch from scratch. It's a risky, dumpy ride and totally worth it! The design is ready and I found a manufacturer in Switzerland who can both modify a ETA movement to fit my requirements and assemble the watch. The model will have a unique feature never seen before, so that is incredibly exciting!

I would be honored if you wanted to follow it, all opinions makes a Huge difference. I'm posting daily on my Facebook page: facebook.com/ecanderssonwatches

Thank you!

No disrespect, but when people talk about high-end watches, I expect them to actually be made by the company selling them. Not just handing some designs over to a 3rd party who then just ship a watch back to you. I'd hardly call that high-end (imo). High-end means more than a movement (and would a modified ETA really be considered high end? Personally I don't think so)

Edited by hughlle

6 minutes ago, hughlle said:

No disrespect, but when people talk about high-end watches, I expect them to actually be made by the company selling them. Not just handing some designs over to a 3rd party who then just ship a watch back to you. I'd hardly call that high-end (imo). High-end means more than a movement (and would a modified ETA really be considered high end? Personally I don't think so)

I appreciate your reply!

Let's call it a quality watch instead :)

2 minutes ago, apm101 said:

Can you tell us more about this?

"The model will have a unique feature never seen before "

Hi!

I don't want to reveal  too much just yet, but it's a new perspective on the classic dive watch.

3 minutes ago, RWP said:

Some idea of what it looks like would be helpful :). Welcome.

Couldn't upload a photo unfortunately, that's why I suggested the Facebook page. I would gladly share one on the forum as well, when possible :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RWP said:

Some idea of what it looks like would be helpful :). Welcome.

11950201_1675305699392831_74589428259681

Not a fan myself. That big black empty ring doesn't work for me. Based on the '40; at the 12pm mark, i'd say the feature of this watch is something along the lines of rotating dials or internal diving bezel.

4 minutes ago, hughlle said:

rfg11950201_1675305699392831_74589428259681

Not a fan myself. That big black empty ring doesn't work for me. Based on the '40; at the 12pm mark, i'd say the feature of this watch is something along the lines of rotating dials or internal diving bezel.

Thank you!

I just uploaded the white version as well, maybe you like it better? I would greatly appreciate if you posted it :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, E.C.Andersson said:

Thank you!

I just uploaded the white version as well, maybe you like it better? I would greatly appreciate if you posted it :)

Right click on the image if it's elsewhere on the web, select 'copy image', paste the value into your post on here.  Job done.

• Like 1

If you insist. For reference, all I am doing to post these is copy the URL from the facebook image, and paste it in my response and hit enter.

10352770_1675354596054608_87213180219265

So yeah, to me it looks like the divers bezel is actually in the center of the dial. 

Is it just the photo (render) or is the dial in this one a blue-white? with the inner dial plain white.

• Like 1

The little I can see looks neat and nice and does look the biz.  I'd like to see the rest.  What price point are you aiming at as the competition will make or break you project :yes:

1 minute ago, hughlle said:

If you insist. For reference, all I am doing to post these is copy the URL from the facebook image, and paste it in my response and hit enter.

10352770_1675354596054608_87213180219265

So yeah, to me it looks like the divers bezel is actually in the center of the dial. 

Is it just the photo (render) or is the dial in this one a blue-white? with the inner dial plain white.

Thanks! It's more off white, light grey.

1 hour ago, E.C.Andersson said:

I don't want to reveal  too much just yet, but it's a new perspective on the classic dive watch.

It won't be water proof :laugh:

Edited by Cosd
  • Like 2

Guest Bruce

do you have a prototype or just renderings? 

if you dont have a prototype then i would say you are a bit premature in "putting it out there " IMO

if you have a built up one let us see it and then you may get more accurate critique :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, RWP said:

The little I can see looks neat and nice and does look the biz.  I'd like to see the rest.  What price point are you aiming at as the competition will make or break you project :yes:

I really appreciate you saying that! :)

To get the production started I would need to sell 100 pieces, and I want to do that for as low price as possible. It should be about quality and nothing else. So, for the early supporters I'm hoping it will land on aprox 700 euro.

• Like 1

Assuming you'll need the project forward funded by buyers, I'd say the biggest job you have on your hands is building up the requisite level of trust required for people to hand over their cash to an unknown.

Any thoughts on how you're going to do that?

• Like 1

Guest Bruce
10 minutes ago, E.C.Andersson said:

I really appreciate you saying that! :)

To get the production started I would need to sell 100 pieces, and I want to do that for as low price as possible. It should be about quality and nothing else. So, for the early supporters I'm hoping it will land on aprox 700 euro.

so do you have a prototype and is this a crowd sourcing exercise ? 

56 minutes ago, Bruce said:

do you have a prototype or just renderings? 

if you dont have a prototype then i would say you are a bit premature in "putting it out there " IMO

if you have a built up one let us see it and then you may get more accurate critique :thumbsup:

Based on the crown design that you had a few days ago I'd say that you might be a little way off a workable design.

12821493_1673983402858394_27076710606943

...seriously? ...on a Dive watch?

...many Scandinavian Designers turning in their modern, functional and ergonomic graves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krispy said:

Right click on the image if it's elsewhere on the web, select 'copy image', paste the value into your post on here.  Job done.

Just as an asides that doesn't work on an IPhone. It just copies the full page link as script then you have to edit it down to the JPEG bit and use the insert other media button.

:)

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

Just as an asides that doesn't work on an IPhone. It just copies the full page link as script then you have to edit it down to the JPEG bit and use the insert other media button.

You can't please all the people....!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Works without an issue on my partners iphone ;) open image, copy url, paste.

Edited by hughlle

From what I've seen I like the look of this watch so far.

And I've got to say fair play to you for having the guts to undertake this project. It can be scary and risky starting up your own venture/ business (as I well know), but if it all works out you could reap the rewards.

Good luck with the project :thumbsup:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, graham1981 said:

From what I've seen I like the look of this watch so far.

And I've got to say fair play to you for having the guts to undertake this project. It can be scary and risky starting up your own venture/ business (as I well know), but if it all works out you could reap the rewards.

Good luck with the project :thumbsup:

It's hardly a big risk when you crowdfund. That's one of the key points of crowdfunding, the investors are the ones who take the biggest risk. If the project falls flat on its face, it is the investors (us) who lose out, not him. Anyone can draw up some designs, enter into negotiations with a company to make the thing for you, and then go on an investment drive. Guts is when you've so much faith in your proposal that you go and get a second mortgage on your hose and bankroll the entire thing yourself, kowing that if it fails, you're the one £50K in dept.

Edited by hughlle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hughlle said:

It's hardly a big risk when you crowdfund. That's one of the key points of crowdfunding, the investors are the ones who take the biggest risk. If the project falls flat on its face, it is the investors (us) who lose out, not him. Anyone can draw up some designs, enter into negotiations with a company to make the thing for you, and then go on an investment drive. Guts is when you've so much faith in your proposal that you go and get a second mortgage on your hose and bankroll the entire thing yourself.

I'm sure he would have to put a fair chunk of money in himself as well. Even if it is crowdfunded I can't see anyone investing in a project that the proposer doesn't have enough faith in to put their own money on the line, if they do invest in such a scheme more fool them in my opinion. It's not always possible to fund a project completely by yourself, if you are living in a council property for instance a second mortgage isn't an option and you would have to have a sizeable savings account to cover the full costs of a project like this :) Banks are also usually quite hesitant about funding startups like this as well, I would think watch production would be seen as quite high risk, large outlays possible slow returns.

As long as he's up front and honest about his business proposal and what his projected costs and returns are I say go for it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hughlle said:

Guts is when you've so much faith in your proposal that you go and get a second mortgage on your hose and bankroll the entire thing yourself, kowing that if it fails, you're the one £50K in dept.

Absolutely, this is a no risk venture on his part and currently looks as though it's not even got past the stage of putting a few poor drawings together and if the piece about the jewels and crystal is representative of the sort of sales pitch that's being built up, I can't see many serious investors coming from the ranks of watch forums, especially at the proposed price point.

• Like 1