• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I thought I would open a discussion where appropriate constructive suggestions can be made with the thought if implemented they could improve TWF experience. I still think this is the best watch forum on the net :thumbsup: I do not have the answers but would like to open the dialogue and get this forum rocking again.

Since the forum update the forum changed, also with lots of people not just using PC or laptops, but now tablets and various mobile devices. 

With that in mind I would like to make a suggestion.A lot just view latest activity and do not scroll through various sub forums. A lot of posts get posted just in the 'Watch Discussion Forum' and with lots of posts being posted posts often get lost in the vast quantity of posts.

So how about the different sub forums get used as intended, as Vintage watches posted in Vintage watches, Seiko watches get posted in the Japanese sub forum.... I think everything is getting posted in the 'Watch Discusion Forum' 

Cheers Martin :) 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, martinzx said:

I thought I would open a discussion where appropriate constructive suggestions can be made with the thought if implemented they could improve TWF experience. I still think this is the best watch forum on the net :thumbsup: I do not have the answers but would like to open the dialogue and get this forum rocking again.

Since the forum update the forum changed, also with lots of people not just using PC or laptops, but now tablets and various mobile devices. 

With that in mind I would like to make a suggestion.A lot just view latest activity and do not scroll through various sub forums. A lot of posts get posted just in the 'Watch Discussion Forum' and with lots of posts being posted posts often get lost in the vast quantity of posts.

So how about the different sub forums get used as intended, as Vintage watches posted in Vintage watches, Seiko watches get posted in the Japanese sub forum.... I think everything is getting posted in the 'Watch Discusion Forum' 

I agree and am guilty of some of the above.

Will do better in future.

Perhaps we should have an arguments sub forum just an idea.

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Good of you to open up discussion.

I agree that posts are often put in the wrong forum.  I'm not sure there's a technical solution to this (except for us being stricter and moving items when we spot them in the wrong place), it's more of a discipline of users!

One thing I've noticed recently is we seem to have 3 sub forums for 'non-watch' talk.  We have:

1. Non watch interest and hobbies: A place to discuss non-watch related interests such as cars, bikes, sport, computing, movies, TV and hobbies.
  2. Open Forum:  If you want to post off topic subjects not covered in other sub-forums this is the place. For more serious or risque topics or to let off steam please use the Free Talk sub-forum; and
  3. Free Talk: For more serious and risque topics or if you just want to let off some steam. It is a part-protected area only visible to Members. A password is no longer required.

It seems to me that 1 & 2 above are candidates for merging together into one sub forum, unless anyone can tell me the difference?  3 is only available to members so I can see value in that remaining for the more lively conversations we perhaps wouldn't want shared with non-members!

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Sort of echoing what Martin is saying, I have found as a new user I am tending to forget that the forums in the main section have lots of sub forums, which I don't look at as I forget they are there. Most of my navigation is done by what is appearing in the new posts part on the right, which is a shame really as I am probably missing posts.

I think if it would be possible to change the page set up to show more (or all) of the forums and sub forums on the main page this would make navigation easier. Do we need latest posts to show at all? Perhaps forums that have been posted in and you haven't read could appear in bold? Just some suggestions but as I am not particularly tech savvy I'm not even sure they could be implemented even if wanted to! :) The actual content of the forum I am finding to be generally excellent and I am glad I joined :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PC-Magician said:

Perhaps we should have an arguments sub forum just an idea.

I think that's what 'Free Talk' is for.

24 minutes ago, Krispy said:

Hi Martin,

Good of you to open up discussion.

I agree that posts are often put in the wrong forum.  I'm not sure there's a technical solution to this (except for us being stricter and moving items when we spot them in the wrong place), it's more of a discipline of users!

One thing I've noticed recently is we seem to have 3 sub forums for 'non-watch' talk.  We have:

1. Non watch interest and hobbies: A place to discuss non-watch related interests such as cars, bikes, sport, computing, movies, TV and hobbies.
  2. Open Forum:  If you want to post off topic subjects not covered in other sub-forums this is the place. For more serious or risque topics or to let off steam please use the Free Talk sub-forum; and
  3. Free Talk: For more serious and risque topics or if you just want to let off some steam. It is a part-protected area only visible to Members. A password is no longer required.

It seems to me that 1 & 2 above are candidates for merging together into one sub forum, unless anyone can tell me the difference?  3 is only available to members so I can see value in that remaining for the more lively conversations we perhaps wouldn't want shared with non-members!

Thoughts?

Yes I suppose it is user discipline and for moderators to move when not adhered to. I agree 1& 2 could be merged :thumbsup:

Guilty of haunting the Discussion forum.  As it is general it tends to attract more threads.  I'll try and look at more forums. :)

I think perhaps people tend to post in watch discussion and not the relevant sub forum as the topic gets more exposure and therefore more replies. Not an easy fix I don't think , stricter moderating could be an answer but don't know if that's a good way to go personally. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, andyclient said:

I think perhaps people tend to post in watch discussion and not the relevant sub forum as the topic gets more exposure and therefore more replies. Not an easy fix I don't think , stricter moderating could be an answer but don't know if that's a good way to go personally. 

That I agree with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andyclient said:

Yes indeed I think that is the issue, I have been guilty myself. They do get more exposure, but it has a downside, as the post just get lost..

1 minute ago, PC-Magician said:

That I agree with.

Indeed, any ideas for solutions?

13 minutes ago, andyclient said:

I would agree that a post in the watch discussion section will probably get the most views and possibly replies but it would improve the forum if members made more effort to post in the relevant section - not sure if it is just laziness.

My pet hate though is where you get a post with a lot of pictures etc and then the whole post gets quoted a few times and the new comment only refers to a tiny part of that post. It just takes up a lot of page space and time while you scroll down the page - bad enough on a pc but must be more of an issue is you browse on your phone. It is not difficult to delete parts of a `quoted' post but again maybe that comes down to laziness?

1 minute ago, richy176 said:

It is not difficult to delete parts of a `quoted' post but again maybe that comes down to laziness?

It's even easier to just highlight the part of someone's post you want to quote with your mouse and click on the 'quote this' option - as I just did. (Granted, that probably won't work for tablet / phone users...)

• Like 3

Should this be moved to "Forum Bugs, Enhancements & Features"? :whistling:

I'm one of the lazy ones, but do find posts in the lesser parts of the forum do not get the traffic that they possibly deserve.... Unless it's just my posts :sadwalk: 

• Like 1

For what it's worth I think there are too few members spread across to many speciality sub forums.

It could easily be cut in half, I doubt anybody would notice and if might benefit getting more people together showing more interest instead of the same few continually posting in each section

:)

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

I could easily be cut in half

I reckon you might have a few takers for that, be careful what you wish for! :partytime:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Faze said:

Should this be moved to "Forum Bugs, Enhancements & Features"? :whistling:

That's a fair point ...lol :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think that it is best to keep the sub-forums such as russian, vintage etc. While it might come off as needless to an established member, for those who're new to the forum, it is of great benefit to be able to clearly see where to poke for the most relevant information. Those sub-forums are updates far less than the general watch forum, and if it were all lumped into one forum, then someone trying to browse around for some advise on a russian watch might have to trawl page after page before finding a Russian themed thread. I know there is the search option, but we've all used it, and because it just looks for keywords, unless it is something quite unique, then you generally just get a billion results you are not looking for. As martin states, it would be good to just use them as they were intended. I know that if i want russian or vintage advice or inspiration, I know exactly where to turn. 

4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

For what it's worth I think there are too few members spread across to many speciality sub forums.

It could easily be cut in half, I doubt anybody would notice and if might benefit getting more people together showing more interest instead of the same few continually posting in each section

100% agree, some of the sub forums go days without use and some of the newer ones have fallen off drastically since they were introduced in the last revamp.

Increasing the default number of topics per page could help too as sometimes topics drop off quickly before they get much exposure.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Krispy said:

I reckon you might have a few takers for that, be careful what you wish for! :partytime:

:biggrin:

Did I mention editing on an IPhone was slow and useless. I'm going to have a word with Big M to get a proper phone.

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

This is only my opinion I like the like this tab feature but it's only to easy to hit the like button instead of commenting on a thread , I am as guilty as charged when it comes to this but I am going to make the effort to try and write on a thread more and like 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Iceblue said:

This is only my opinion I like the like this tab feature but it's only to easy to hit the like button instead of commenting on a thread , I am as guilty as charged when it comes to this but I am going to make the effort to try and write on a thread more and like 

I agree with this, it's not been the same since the like button was introduced. At least you'd have to make a bit of an effort to comment and convey your interest.

Its the one recent addition, which maybe surprising to some people I don't think has been a good thing at all.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

I agree with this, it's not been the same since the like button was introduced. At least you'd have to make a bit of an effort to comment and at least convey your interest.

Its the one recent addition, which maybe surprising to some people I don't think has been a good thing at all.

The like button would work if you hit the like button then explain on the thread why you like it 

3 minutes ago, Iceblue said:

The like button would work if you hit the like button then explain on the thread why you like it 

Sure there is that but I still don't see the like button as good thing.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1