• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Well done fellah. I take it you're hosting your own server? Do use store on external NAS or internal RAID?

Just asking as my "day job" is data protection. I design the storage systems that keep banks and multinationals going in the case or failure and data centre loss.

Just saying, if you'd like a chat on stopping this happening again, my "door is open".

• Like 3

As above was going to suggest something similar but was pretty sure Roy uses an offsite host.....

Anyhow thank you for the dedication Roy, It really is appreciated :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Muddy D said:

I broke into a cold sweat whilst the site was down. Even did some housework, thanks for sorting it out!

Me too. All the ironing's done, and the lawns had its first cut.

2 hours ago, TonyMaroney said:

Well done fellah. I take it you're hosting your own server? Do use store on external NAS or internal RAID?

Just asking as my "day job" is data protection. I design the storage systems that keep banks and multinationals going in the case or failure and data centre loss.

Just saying, if you'd like a chat on stopping this happening again, my "door is open".

Is there a RAID setup that when a drive fails, you replace with a working one and the good drives build back up the new drive ?

34 minutes ago, xellos99 said:

Is there a RAID setup that when a drive fails, you replace with a working one and the good drives build back up the new drive ?

Yeah. It's called RAID1 aka mirrored drives.

Disk ops are mirrored to both disks. One fails, you get notified, shut the machine down, replace the bad disk, fire it up and it will rebuild on to the new disk from the working one.

There's a bit of a performance hit while it does this, and if the other disk fails before it rebuilds the new disk you've lost everything, but most modern motherboards support it.

• Like 1

unfortunately not all RAID systems are raid 1 or better . i work with real POS RAID 0 hardware in some older pieces of medical capitol equipment.

these days though i would have thought things would have moved on, sadly i get paid to keep the old crap running ... but at least i get paid.

simultaneous failure of both disks sounds odd though ... in the bad old days either disk failing in a raid 0 hunk of junk meant you were scroooooowed !

13 hours ago, Roy said:

Was told that both disks failed :( 

RAID1 should always be backed up with a hot spare. I can't recall both disks in a raid1 group failing at the same time.

If I try to go to www.thewatchforum.co.uk via my favourites it comes up as Plesk webservers default page.  I only got on here because I got a email notification of an answer to a thread I am subscribed to as long as I stay within the forums I am okay but click the home button at the top of page and back to Plesk again. 

I can only get back in by going through google.

Just noticed this and well done, when I read downtime, I thought someone had been convicted. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fastmongrel said:

If I try to go to www.thewatchforum.co.uk via my favourites it comes up as Plesk webservers default page.  I only got on here because I got a email notification of an answer to a thread I am subscribed to as long as I stay within the forums I am okay but click the home button at the top of page and back to Plesk again. 

I can only get back in by going through google.

Try clearing your browsers cache.