UK Watch Forum banner

The size of watches over the years.

2K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  artistmike 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am interested to know the history of the size of wrist watches since they became common in the early 1900s.

I know that over the last fifteen years or so the have been getting progressively bigger but is this a new phenomenon?

Anyone know the common sizes from the turn of the last century ( like David's trench watches) through that century to the present day.

Was 35 or so mm common throughout that time or did it vary.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Cheers

G
#3 ·
:laugh: very good point :thumbsup:

my taste in watches has moved with my slowly failing vision, at this rate in a decade my watches will be around 10inchs not including the crown :(

i think though watches are designed to be seen by others now rather than just time pieces, they are now more jewelry and status symbols IMO

#7 ·
30mm was common for a gents watch... what amazes me is the size of ladies coctail watches circa 1920s... so small you need perfect eyesight to read them.

Reactions: ong and RWP
#13 ·
I think over the years fashion in general has got brasher, not just watches. When you think what the fashion of say the 20's was - for men going out a smart clean cut slim fit tailored suit with a sharp crease down the leg - black shiny shoes and a handkerchief in the top pocket to a slow progression through the ages to the dishevelled I can't even dress myself look of today and watches have followed along the same lines. From a discreet timepiece that was elegant and functional, designed to blend with the apparel of the day with an air of discreet sophistication to some of the in your face look at me I'm so special monstrosities of today :laugh:

I very rarely get to wear a suit doing what I do, but I have three - all off the shelf from M and S and one of them I have had tailored to me by a local independent one man tailor. I had it tailored to slim fit - very much like the 1920's style and on the infrequent occasions I do get to wear it I really feel like a million dollars :yahoo:

G
#14 ·
I think over the years fashion in general has got brasher, not just watches. When you think what the fashion of say the 20's was - for men going out a smart clean cut slim fit tailored suit with a sharp crease down the leg - black shiny shoes and a handkerchief in the top pocket to a slow progression through the ages to the dishevelled I can't even dress myself look of today and watches have followed along the same lines. From a discreet timepiece that was elegant and functional, designed to blend with the apparel of the day with an air of discreet sophistication to some of the in your face look at me I'm so special monstrosities of today :laugh:

I very rarely get to wear a suit doing what I do, but I have three - all off the shelf from M and S and one of them I have had tailored to me by a local independent one man tailor. I had it tailored to slim fit - very much like the 1920's style and on the infrequent occasions I do get to wear it I really feel like a million dollars :yahoo:
men [everybody] were a lot smaller too, certainly an awful lot slimmer, i wonder if perseptive changes as you put on weight, mine does thats for sure, my wrists are 200mm, a 38mm watch on me looks like a pimple IMO or is that just my perspective?

#25 ·
Just a thought but I suppose some of the size increase in some watches would be down to the added technology you find in some watches nowadays? i.e. the Protrek has to fit in a thermometer, digital compass, altimeter etc whereas when you are looking at vintage watches all they had to house was the watch movement albeit a mechanical one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.