• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Muddy D

Selling watches on eBay

Never had any issues so far apart from that one time someone from USA cancelled the watch he bought probably because of the many red flags my account had (no feedback, eastern europe as location...) but it was quite an expensive piece...

I don't offer returns on my listings because I know there are plenty out there that would like to take advantage of this.

That's why I take pictures of everything and I offer ALL the details required by someone.

Edited by gimli

13 minutes ago, gimli said:

I don't offer returns on my listings because I know there are plenty out there that would like to take advantage of this.

Sadly that won't protect you against a Not As Described claim - and PayPal allows buyers up to 180 days to lodge one.

8 minutes ago, PhilipK said:

Sadly that won't protect you against a Not As Described claim - and PayPal allows buyers up to 180 days to lodge one.

also, "return as faulty" is a override to "don't accept returns" in the description, I tried ! and plenty of tales of woe on forums even when "no returns policy" is tried to be applied by sellers!

deano

I know. And it's a load of bull****! I buy plenty of cheap stuff from aliexpress every once in a while and the system there is: you give the seller feedback AFTER you test and check the product you ordered. Obviously you don't get 180 days to do it but you do have a few weeks to do so if you want to, though I've never done it myself.

I can sell someone a perfectly fine running watch, and in half a year something might happen, and then have them file a complaint or whatever even though it wouldn't be my fault at all. They can just drop it and have the watch magnetized for example, which is a fixable issue, but I would pretty much have to pay up according to ebay in such a case. That is some pretty dumb policy. Typical american business... :)

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1

Having said myself several times ebay selling is getting dodgy and best to use the for sale forum I had a problem selling a watch strap on here.  Potential buyer kept sending me cheery messages that they would pay tomorrow but tomorrow never came.  So I stuck it on ebay and the cheeky sod then bid for it on ebay. 

• Like 1

I've switched most of my selling (general stuff, not watches) to preloved and gumtree. Not only do buyers seem to be more reliable, there are no fees to deal with. Stuff always sells, but perhaps not as quickly as e-bay, but if you're not in a hurry that's not an issue.

Stuff I've bought the same way has always been good too

Are those websites popular ? I know nothing beats ebay but still... I might check them out.

EDIT: Are these UK only ?

Edited by gimli

On 8 April 2016 at 20:20, gimli said:

Are those websites popular ? I know nothing beats ebay but still... I might check them out.

EDIT: Are these UK only ?

Gumtree was a UK company though looking at Wikipedia it now appears to be owned by eBay. It's a site for placing local classified adverts, great for selling things for collection only in your local area. It is in the US though I'm unsure which cities

I noticed that there are many people selling vintage things on etsy, itsy or whatever it's called. Wonder how that's working out for them. I know that you only pay per listing, no fees, and it costs less than ebay overall. Do people pay there by paypal ?