• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I'm thinking of buying a vintage gold Jaeger le Coultre Mastercontrol Geographic mainly because its a classic looking watch and Jaeger is an acclaimed Swiss brand.  It is important to me however that a watch purchase be an investment.  Any views on same?

Very difficult to predict how it will perform as an investment. If you are looking to buy from a dealer then there will be a profit margin in the price and it may take a few years before you would even get  your money back.

Have you looked at `sold' listings on ebay or sites like chrono24 to see how often these come up for sale and what prices are like?

Next, you have to look at the condition of the watch. Does it have the box and papers? Now you have to try and guess how many people may want it in 10, 20, 30 years time.

• Like 4

In my experience it's hard to make a decent return on watches. However Gold watches seem to be out of fashion now so who knows what appeal they will have to a  different generation twenty or thirty years hence. At least the stock market publish past performance figures. 

You hear them say on these TV antique shows "quality always sells" and you can get some nice vintage Jaegers for not too much money (not sure about the particular model you mention though) if you buy right its hard to see how you could do much money on some of these old clasic watches because they are quality.

Most important that whatever you buy has a clean dial though... thats a major factor in evaluating vintage watches.

The first rule of collecting is: buy something because you like it, not because you want it as an investment. The future market for anything is unpredictable and, even more importantly, the relative future value of your purchase may not be worth any more than it is now, with inflation. Even gold prices fluctuate, in spite of antiques programmes constantly telling us that it's a good time to for gold. It's not always an upward spiral, as I know from recently selling a gold watch.

• Like 1

evening,

are you asking the right question ?" the watch must  be a investment", I think the questions should be,

is this watch quality, what movement does it have , is it better on a  bracelet, or on leather, does this maker have a following, is it best bought from E bay or from a dealer, etc etc

I have never bought a watch for investment I doubt many have here?, I bought it because I wanted it, liked it , if it turns out to be worth more than I paid down the line it will be a bonus!:thumbsup:

best deano

1 hour ago, deano1956 said:

evening,

are you asking the right question ?" the watch must  be a investment", I think the questions should be,

is this watch quality, what movement does it have , is it better on a  bracelet, or on leather, does this maker have a following, is it best bought from E bay or from a dealer, etc etc

I have never bought a watch for investment I doubt many have here?, I bought it because I wanted it, liked it , if it turns out to be worth more than I paid down the line it will be a bonus!:thumbsup:

best deano

Agreed. I picked this up because I liked it.  I think it was the right money, if I ever flip it I would hope to break even ( or not loose too much !)

image_zpse2aj8vhy.jpeg

Mark

Thanks for all the advise. It was all very worthwhile.  When I stated I wanted my purchase to be an investment I meant it should ideally not lose much value in the long term and might appreciate.  I accept that there are better ways of making money and fashions and demands change over time.  I would envisage passing on my collection to my sons.

• Like 1