• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Favorite Disco Number

Silver Hawk

Does anyone else like disco? I mean real disco from the 70's. I don't mind admitting that I do --- it was a great time in my life and I remember going to see Saturday Night Fever several times in the week it first came out --- fantastic!

Anyway, A Taste of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oggie" does it for me; probably best disco track to come out of the 70's. The bass guitar is like no other.

If you're thinkin' you're too cool to boogie

Boy oh boy have I got news for you

Everybody here tonight was boogin'

Let me tell you

You are no exception to the rule

Git on up on the floor

Cuz we're gonna boogie oogie oogie

till you just can't boogie no more

Boogie no more

You can't boogie no more (boogie)

Boogie no more

Listen to the music...

There's no time to waste, let's get this show on the road

Listen to the music and let your body float

The sooner we begin the longer we've got the groove

Listen to the music and let your body move

Now git on up on the floor

Cuz we're gonna boogie oogie oogie

till you just can't boogie no more

Boogie no more

You can't boogie no more (boogie)

Boogie no more

Listen to my bass here

[bass break]

Get down, boogie oogie oogie

Get down

JoT said:
I agree Paul

Despite how bad things were in the 70's we had  good music, cheap beer, and no AIDS

It's hard to pick a favourite but perhaps "Fantasy" by Earth, Wind and Fire shades it for me ... especially as it has a fond memory attached to it

I didn't have you down as a disco freak John. I thought it would have been The Quo for you ( " It's girls music" or " Giv'em a spanner and they'd die" ). You never cease to amaze

I suppose we had to put up with it if we wanted to get near the ladies though

I loved the Edwards and Rodgers produced Chic and Sister Sledge. "Good Times" was an amazingly influential record and ironic to boot

Donna Summer - " Love to love you baby.

The Whispers - " It's a love thing "( or thang).

Crown Heights Affair - " Galaxy of Love," with intergalactic trumpet solo

It's all flooding back

Git down!!

raketakat said:

I didn't have you down as a disco freak John . I thought it would have been The Quo for you ( " It's girls music" or " Giv'em a spanner and they'd die " ). You never cease to amaze

I suppose we had to put up with it if we wanted to get near the ladies though

I would never have bought a Disco single or LP, I didn't have much money to spend on records in anyway; my collection in 1976 was:

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Roxy Music - Stranded

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Deep Purple - In Rock

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane

and whatever I could borrow and tape on a C45 cassette

pg tips said:
DISCO!

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Admit it you just like the white flared pants with the tight crotch!

I loved it... and wont have a bad word said against it

Use to live for Friday nights at Sheffield University Union Building....it was a case of queing at 17:00 to get tickets...then going home to get "ready"  and returning for kick off at 22:30 until the small hours...brill!

On other weeks, it was off into town to visit Josephines, or the Fiesta (briefly seen in the the The Full Monty).

Mind you, I never did like those groups of females all dancing aimlessly in a circle around their handbags. Who remembers that? Do they still do that?

JoT said:
pg tips said:

DISCO!

You are too young to understand PG

Oh I remember it only too well

At the time tryin to find a dj who had a decent heavy rock record at you average do was a nightmare. They'd always put on Quo, the nearest they had, for one record or even only got half way through then went back to the bee gees et al

raketakat said:
Paul. You do realise that you could have performed "the double bump" with me 

This is getting perverse

I'm still up for it Ian. Where shall we meet?

BTW: I assume the Fiesta has long since been bulldozed, is that true? I know the The-Hole-In-The-Road by Walshes / Rackhams is no more....am I showing my age?

As a special educational service to all RLT Forums readers, I now post Boogie Oogie Oogie as a mp3 for all to appreciate what they missed in the 70's.

The first record I ever bought was Stayin Alive - a tune, but does it count as disco?

I'm pretty sure it was that hot summer of 1976 ... but hey weren't all our childhood summers hot?

As for Sheffield Uni - when I left the Air Force I went there in 1990 to grow my hair long, take some controlled substances and have as much nooky as possible! I managed two out of the three and wouldn't have done as much of the latter if it hadn't been for Josephines on a Monday night, Fan-Blummin-Tastic. It was a real shiny shirt and shiny trousers sort of towny night. The barmaids in bunny suits only added to the appeal I don't think I met any girl in there that could discuss Sartre or dialectical materialism but I did meet plenty who didn't feel the need to wear underwear!!

Great days ... and sorry if I'm hi-jacking this thread.

Silver Hawk said:
Jules said:
Great days ... and sorry if I'm hi-jacking this thread.

Too right, Jules....Sheffield was a great place to be .... I guess it still might be.

I'm amazed that there are others on this Forum who know Josephines, Fiesta and the Top Rank clubs...

I only went to the Sheffield Fiesta once it was a great night as I remember, my haunts were far less salubrious

Incognito and Madison's in Middlesbrough and the Top Deck in Redcar

The Top Deck is still going strong the Incognito shut down in the early 80's and Madison in 2000.

Silver Hawk said:
Too right, Jules....Sheffield was a great place to be .... I guess it still might be.

I've moved from working in Nottingham to working here in Sheffield - kind of strange coming back after a dozen years ...

Anyway one thing that saddened me was the demise of perhaps the best dance club I've ever been to. The Lacanau (sp?) / The Palais / Gatecrasher / Bed opposite the Chinese Firework Factory at the bottom of London Rd is being pulled down. The famous black turreted front is being kept - listed?

But the nights I had in there as a student / cheesy quaver (raver) ....

Haven't been out much in Sheff as I'm always heading back to Nottingham for bathtime (of the kids rather than the Mrs - mores the pity!) but will having a stay over next month when me and my best man/ climbin

After that we'll be whetting the babies head with another of our ex-Sheff Uni mates who's about to have his second ... this could get very messy as he was captain of the rugby team and has managed to round up about a dozen other lads - if I can get away with a load of beer, a curry up by the Wicker arches and a late night soak in Caesers I'll be happy ... what I don't want is to wake up in Rotherham with a black eye, another tatoo and minus a kidney - not after last time as I only have one left!!

Roger said:
Music went down the pan around 1967 until Punk came along... and then after Punk,  it died again

Nooo, not true. It is dead now, but not between 1967 and 1980. The 80's was a bad decade

pg tips said:
Ron Jr said:
Two words.

Disco Duck.

Yeah that's about as good as disco ever got !

Rubbish, you must have cloth ears and lead feet.

• 1 year later...

Another Saturday night....listening to 70's disco numbers :lol::ph34r:

Sadly, John Whitehead was shot to death in 2004 while he was working on a vehicle in Philadelphia

AIN'T NO STOPPING US NOW

McFadden & Whitehead

We're on the move!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We've got the groove!

There's been so many things thats held us down.

But now it looks like things are finally comin' around.

I know we've got, a long long way to go,

and where we'll end up, I don't know.

But we won't let nothin' hold us back,

we're putting our selves together,

we're polishing up our act!

If you felt we've been held down before,

I know you'll refuse to be held down anymore!

Don't you let nothing, nothing,

Stand in your way!

I want ya'll to listen, listen,

to every word I say, every word I say!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We're on the move!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We've got the groove!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We're on the move!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We've got the groove!

I know you know someone that has a negative vibe,

and if you're trying to make it they only push you aside.

They really don't have, nowhere to go.

Ask them where they're going, they don't know.

But we won't let nothin' hold us back,

we're gonna put our selves together,

we're gonna polish up our act!

And if you've ever been held down before,

I know you'll refuse to be held down anymore!

Don't you let nothing, nothing,

Stand in your way!

I want ya'll to listen, listen,

to every word I say, every word I say!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We're on the move!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We've got the groove!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We're on the move!

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!

We've got the groove!