UK Watch Forum banner

The Seven Ages of WIS

9K views 72 replies 41 participants last post by  WRENCH 
#1 ·
The Seven Ages of WIS

With apologies to Wm. Shakespeare

1. The Insouciant. Has a watch. One watch. Maybe. Perhaps uses smartphone to tell the time. Perfectly good watch from Argos or Samuels. Needs a battery every couple of years, apart from that just fine. He hasn't a clue what is out there and doesn't care.

2. The Curious. Has seen an interesting watch on a friend's wrist or perhaps an advert in a magazine. Realises that mechanical watches did not disappear in the 1970s. Interest aroused.

3. The Newbie. Joins a watch forum or two. Like a dog with two Parnises. Everything is wonderful, like the character in The Fast Show played by Paul Whitehouse, who strides across the screen saying "Aren't watches brilliant?" Wants one of everthing. Full of innocent questions, such as "What's the best watch for a beginner?" Tries to use horological vocabulary and gets it wrong, such as talking about deployment clasps. Gets post count reduced for wishing Happy Birthday to 31 people in 6 minutes. (PS. I'm not being snooty...I've been there!) :laugh:

4. The Maniac. Like Geraldine Grainger in the chocolate aisle during a TV trolley dash. If a married man, becomes nervous of showing SWMBO the bank statements. Camps outside church halls waiting for flea markets to open. Actually thinks he needs a 600m WR watch with HEV to go in a pool in Tenerife, or a pilot chrono to time the flight from seat 17E.

5. The Dolphin. Realises the folly of the previous stage, and develops flipperitis trying to flog off all his mistakes. Uses all sorts of jargon like "one in, one out" or "only selling to fund new incoming." Gets bored waiting for a bite and prices drop like a stone. Be patient, buyer...there are bargains to be had!

6. The Consolidator. Phew! All the rubbish has gone. He now moves upmarket. Casio, Accurist and Limit are long gone. CW, Stowa and Steinhart are on the way out. Depending on tastes, we are talking Omega, Cartier, IWC, JLC, Bremont and of course Rolex. Trying to get down to the perfect 6 or 10, but never quite satisfied unless he finally becomes...

7. Shakyamuni...Buddha, right? The Enlightened One. Has found The One (with maybe a couple of others in the box for occasional use.)

Anyone recognise themselves along the road? I certainly do! :laugh:

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd like to think 6 or 7 applied... fun post ^^

#6 ·
Great post, Steve....I reckon I've done all those stages ( and can relate to them) and now I've arrived at the final one...stage 7

..........and I'm happy....................or am I? ..............until the next one comes along...... :yes: :yes: :yes:

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
From pretty much straight from 1 (Sekonda no mobile phones when I was a boy) to 7 (Rolex pepsi GMT for my 40th) then back to 5 (bought a bag load of allsorts) 6 (sold most of them) now back at 7 again.

:laugh: :laugh:

Good post by the way

:thumbsup:

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I`m not quite sure where I fit in there :huh:

I`ve been a member of this forum for 12 years & had been collecting watches for at least a couple of years before that. I can`t remember how many watches I currently own but it`s probably in the region of a couple of hundred, ranging from real cheapies to a couple of Rolex & Tudors plus a few Omegas, I also used to own a JLC. I am finally cutting back on my purchases with only a few on my Under Consideration List :biggrin:

Edit- I forgot to mention that I am beginning to consider thinning the collection down, a wee bit at least :tongue:

Mind you, I have been through other collecting interests & still have shelves of old cameras...

DSC_0006_zpsydqlirpz.gif

I also used to have a thing for collecting old HiFi (particularly Valve powered) as well as old motorcycles but thankfully I`ve fully recovered from those particular obsessions Amber Sky Font Tints and shades Gas
:laugh:

Attachments

Reactions: Ullevi and RWP
#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Excellent post @AVO :thumbsup:

I see myself between 3-4 at the moment.

By being forewarned, is it possible to skip a stage or two? :huh:
Haha, thanks, I have no idea. I went through 1-4 but 5 & 6 have sort of fused together in my case. The cull is happening slowly alongside the move upmarket. Except that the real rubbish went ages ago, and there wasn't much of it anyway. Standards, don't yer know!? :king:

#26 ·
The Seven Ages of WIS

With apologies to Wm. Shakespeare

1. The Insouciant. Has a watch. One watch. Maybe. Perhaps uses smartphone to tell the time. Perfectly good watch from Argos or Samuels. Needs a battery every couple of years, apart from that just fine. He hasn't a clue what is out there and doesn't care.

2. The Curious. Has seen an interesting watch on a friend's wrist or perhaps an advert in a magazine. Realises that mechanical watches did not disappear in the 1970s. Interest aroused.

3. The Newbie. Joins a watch forum or two. Like a dog with two Parnises. Everything is wonderful, like the character in The Fast Show played by Paul Whitehouse, who strides across the screen saying "Aren't watches brilliant?" Wants one of everthing. Full of innocent questions, such as "What's the best watch for a beginner?" Tries to use horological vocabulary and gets it wrong, such as talking about deployment clasps. Gets post count reduced for wishing Happy Birthday to 31 people in 6 minutes. (PS. I'm not being snooty...I've been there!) :laugh:

4. The Maniac. Like Geraldine Grainger in the chocolate aisle during a TV trolley dash. If a married man, becomes nervous of showing SWMBO the bank statements. Camps outside church halls waiting for flea markets to open. Actually thinks he needs a 600m WR watch with HEV to go in a pool in Tenerife, or a pilot chrono to time the flight from seat 17E.

5. The Dolphin. Realises the folly of the previous stage, and develops flipperitis trying to flog off all his mistakes. Uses all sorts of jargon like "one in, one out" or "only selling to fund new incoming." Gets bored waiting for a bite and prices drop like a stone. Be patient, buyer...there are bargains to be had!

6. The Consolidator. Phew! All the rubbish has gone. He now moves upmarket. Casio, Accurist and Limit are long gone. CW, Stowa and Steinhart are on the way out. Depending on tastes, we are talking Omega, Cartier, IWC, JLC, Bremont and of course Rolex. Trying to get down to the perfect 6 or 10, but never quite satisfied unless he finally becomes...

7. Shakyamuni...Buddha, right? The Enlightened One. Has found The One (with maybe a couple of others in the box for occasional use.)

Anyone recognise themselves along the road? I certainly do! :laugh:
Eh, between 6 and 7 ish. :laughing2dw:

#36 ·
Good post

I have gone straight from stage four to stage 8 - making watches your profession!

I did consider consolidation though, just never went through with it.

We should make this compulsory reading for newbies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.