• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The Seven Ages of WIS

AVO

32 minutes ago, r-macus said:

unless the lotto comes in will always be. 

Interesting, does "the watch" necessarily have to equate to how much ? :hmmm9uh:

The two watches I wear the most, because I like them, cost less than £100, and one of them has had the best part of £200 spent on servicing over the past 20 years. Had it still been available to buy new, it would have been binned and replaced.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Interesting, does "the watch" necessarily have to equate to how much ? :hmmm9uh:

The two watches I wear the most, because I like them, cost less than £100, and one of them has had the best part of £200 spent on servicing over the past 20 years. Had it still been available to buy new, it would have been binned and replaced.

That consumerism I suppose. The brand of watch that would be considered a desirable  piece , unfortunately comes with a unattainable price tag. Same can be said for every customer based object. I'd love a nissan gt-r but drive a toyota avensis. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WRENCH said:

"That consumerism I suppose. The brand of watch that would be considered a desirable  piece , unfortunately comes with a unattainable price tag. Same can be said for every customer based object. I'd love a nissan gt-r but drive a toyota avensis.  "

Agreed, one of my favourites is a £30 NOS (from @Roy ).

Price is almost irrelevant after a certain price point, it will get you to a certain level of quality of course but for me, I'd be more comfortable in an Oris / Sinn / Helson / H20 / Damasko etc... (and to an extent Rado, Tudor, Longines, Hamilton) than any of the bigger brands that are recognised by the masses as a "flashy" or expensive brand...

I own two Armidas that were purchased used and offer exceptional value for money, I mean they are solid, good quality / spec and stunning on the eye; joe public would not recognise the brand in a million years.

PS - I drive a Skoda becase I cant afford a 535d but nor do I like what beemers often say about the person

Edited by Jonesinamillion

22 hours ago, r-macus said:

Looking at yokel's post he skipped straight to stage 7. I'm a 4 and unless the lotto comes in will always be. 

I think you have to allow for the age when a member joins this circus.

This progression (nicely constructed, and quite apposite though it is) assumes that everybody starts on the WIS ladder as a neophyte. Many who join the fray after retirement from work will have already learned life-lessons in other spheres which enable them to skip stages. One such, which is quite relevant to stages three and four, is that casual love and promiscuity don’t necessarily produce desirable outcomes for the longer term. 

Another key difference is that many elderly people from this golden generation have fewer money worries than those still trying to bring up kids.

I think I have now made a grade six  —  except that there are not that many Stowas and Steinharts to dispose of, and that I am still learning at the feet of masters here.

One interesting phrase pops up in the analysis: patience, bargains will be available. I find it wonderful, with so many flippers in this hobby, how often chances come up to buy really good pieces (full set and nearly new) at 30-50% less than list.

• Agree 1

After just reading through this thread and enjoying the responses immensely, I reckon I'm firmly in-between stage 3 & 4. I'm certainly still at the 'aren't watches brilliant' phase and do spend an unhealthy amount of time looking for the next purchase. The problem for me is that I know that a small collection of 'keepers' in the grail (one for every occasion) but there are so many gorgeous watches out there. Every time I look at a watch of the day thread at least one of you is wearing something that triggers the...Oh bloody hell I need one of those...in me.  

Edited by mrzee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well for the past few weeks, I've been going through boxes and rediscovering stuff that I had forgotten about, some have moved on, and some will get freshened up and worn. Got some handmade straps getting done as well, sometimes a new strap is as good as a new watch. Still after that elusive 5500 though. It will find me. :yes:

z114391p---Copy.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 02/09/2018 at 09:25, Jonesinamillion said:

Past a 3 but loitering between 4/5/6.

Had one consolidation, considering another. Yet to smash the +£1k mark but sorely tempted to do so with a black bay 58. That's the only addition that I want to make. 

Quite happy with my little assemble of 14 watches.

Only a few months on and I'm now floating around a 5 pushing 6....

Don't want to hit 7 but wouldn't mind being a sturdy 6!

32 minutes ago, yip_london said:

Is phase 5-7 an infinite loop emoji23.png?

The Buddha taught that it may take many cycles of death and rebirth to attain Nirvana.

I have known people who broke free of the cycle and were happy with “the One”.

But they were weird.

Nice to see this old thread again. I did enjoy writing the OP.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1

On 20/05/2016 at 20:57, AVO said:

7. Shakyamuni...Buddha, right? The Enlightened One. Has found The One (with maybe a couple of others in the box for occasional use.)

55 minutes ago, AVO said:

But they were weird.

Must be me then. :laughing2dw:

I don't need anymore, well maybe just one wafer thin watch.

hDTRt4VI_400x400.jpg

Edited by WRENCH
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

An absolutely stunning thread, such fun to read and long overdue some updates regarding progression (or regression) from those in there at the beginning.

As a newbie on the board I am in an almost weekly cycle between stages 3, 4 and 5, which only seems to have increased in frequency since joining this board, I think I'll be happily culling then rebuilding piles of rubbish (with the occasional diamond in amongst my rough) for the foreseeable, maybe this will be the level(s) I stay at, there doesn't have to be the same destination for everyone's journey I guess?

I make no secret of my love for my TWF father @yokel's collection of beautiful timepieces, but I know deep down that I would be overall less happy with his smaller collection of far more stunning watches than my own stockpile of nice-to-cr@p watches due to liking the variety and volume.

Maybe maturity, means, and a newly found level of Zen will one day find me and move me that way, but for now I am very comfortable sitting in the cheap(er) seats (and regularly switching my seat).

:thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Maybe maturity, means, and a newly found level of Zen will one day find me and move me that way, but for now I am very comfortable sitting in the cheap(er) seats (and regularly switching my seat).

What a great summation! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I see some of the traits in me but i feel none are a perfect fit , i like the cheaper watches , never going to part with them , i only have two watches i'm not entirely happy with but i still don't think i'll dispose of them , i've only bought five this year because i'm not spending on meals , pub , holiday's , when this pandemic fades i'll slow down in my purchases , i'm not try buying (G shock excluded )and i have definately got firm likes and dislikes

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yokel said:

How on earth did you find this thread to resurrect after so long?

As your stalker, I'm working my way back through everything you've ever posted.

(Jokes, it was referenced in another thread. But don't forget to put your bins out in the morning, and stop shredding your receipts it makes it really difficult to get an accurate picture of your spending habits)

Edited by Bricey
  • Haha 4