• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Anybody like guitars?

I have a fender Sonoran.  Basically an acoustic with a strat neck.  Plays pretty well for a beater,  but I prefer 4 strings rather than 6.  Most of the time I have my vintage Honer bass,  or sometimes my Gibson Sunburst 5-string strapped on. 

I faff about with guitars a bit. I've built one from odds and sods off the bay, and have several project bodies waiting for me to get a move on.

I also have an Aria FA77 jazz box. It's a lovely-looking/sounding beast, but the design is slightly flawed (imo). Carved top, not pressed, for those who know about such things.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Digging up an old thread!!

I think I have around thirty guitars, I've bought seven since last december! (The wife may do me in whilst I sleep!), I prefer acoustic but have quite a few soldid body electrics.Semi's and electro acoustics!

Some of mine..

1960 Hofner President with Framus passive pickup fitted some time after.

xsEzyV4.jpg

I think this is homemade, It has Burns Tri Sonic pups and Rangemaster whammy bar!!, It's a one piece construction too!!
PH7Avda.jpg

Vintage V100 with set neck, Nicked it from the bootsale for £15!! :jawdrop1: Needed a good clean and the strings were so rusty that a slide would have resulted in fingertips on the flloor!!

Lz356zp.jpg 

My most recent buy is this early Faith Mercury parlour acoustic with solid Engelmann spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides, It's a true parlour guitar rather than just a three quarter size as the neck joint is at the octave rather than the fourteenth fret! Beautiful tone and very loud for a small guitar!

AuQeSiI.jpg

The last buy before the Mercury was this Taylor Big Baby, Another instrument with a fabulous tone even though this one has ply back and sides!!

5YLXGDY.jpg

Tanglewood Java series 'Folkie', Back and sides are Amara with spalted Mango insert, Nato neck, Sonokoling fretboard and mahogany purfling..

EQ5FfiH.jpg2FUjwX7.jpg

Two Vintage V300 acoustics..

uZ7UDNK.jpg

Yamaha 460s from (I think) 1984, The bird insets on the headstock and at the fret markers were only fitted for one year. Solid spruce top with rosewood back and sides, It's had an under bridge piezzo pup fitted by the last owner.. These are the sellers pic off fleabay!!

wGa0i9T.jpg vOPtZ0e.jpg 0tnwQU0.jpg

A couple of Vintage axes, Left is an AV6 with tapped humbuckers,The central knob can be turned to sent the sound from the thick deep sound of a humbucker to the shrill thin sound of a single coil pickup, This had a pro setup and is so easy to play!
On the right is a Vintage Metal Axe, It has a Floyd Rose whammy with locking nut and is easy to use too.. The amp is a 150w Line6 modelling combo (Two 75w Celestions)

B7g7UyF.jpg

A few others including a couple of Canadian acoustice at the far left on the wall, First is a Simon and Patrick mahogany and cedar, Second (Blue one) is an Art and Lutherie which my son commandeered for his own use :(

SSnVkcW.jpg

John :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi

I started buying old guitars at auctions etc and ended up with about 30 guitars.  Bought and sold and now down to a few favourites. A Fylde Ariel ( Sinker Redwood/ Pink Ivory).

Collings OM2H

Martin OM-21

Yamaha FG200 (1972)

V scruffy early Tatay Tomas Vincente classical guitar.  Looks horrible but sounds impressive.

Hofner Flamenco

I still have the watch collection but now guitars bring more pleasure.   Anyone want to swap watches for guitars.  Vertex www, 1969 Bulova , Accurist collection etc

Rtfox2

• 2 months later...

A couple more of mine..

Sigma 000m-15e

lw8zFl5.jpg

Epiphone 12 string

EDFPEUo.jpg

Hudson Bluenote Studio

KI0hb53.jpg

Epiphone EJ160 VC1 'John Lennon'

wWcOynA.jpg

Another Faith, Saturn I think (Dreadnought)

VcUv179.jpg

A couple of Telecaster copies, First is an SX Tele, Second I have no idea!, Won it on fleabay some years ago, It had been in the sellers pantry for twenty or so years, The strigs were rusty, Don't know what  the timber is but it feels like lead!!

Seisnsn.jpg tIIzH7q.jpg

Washburn acoustic, I thought it was electro acoustic but it turned out to be an onboard tuner!!

EH6dA60.jpg

I got this cheap from the bootsale, It's called Oxen!, It plays lovely although I put really cheap strings on, I thought it would sound rubbish but it's not too bad, The actionn is nice too!

MULu2Dt.jpg

1970's Harmony Sovereign

Dt04y7H.jpg

A couple my brother bought just to customise, He doesn't play, Just wanted them for the wall!

MZJiumj.jpg wNEK5H4.jpg

I've given him a couple to add to them :thumbsup:

HAGWE.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnbaz said:

A couple more of mine..

Sigma 000m-15e

lw8zFl5.jpg

Epiphone 12 string

EDFPEUo.jpg

Hudson Bluenote Studio

KI0hb53.jpg

Epiphone EJ160 VC1 'John Lennon'

wWcOynA.jpg

Another Faith, Saturn I think (Dreadnought)

VcUv179.jpg

A couple of Telecaster copies, First is an SX Tele, Second I have no idea!, Won it on fleabay some years ago, It had been in the sellers pantry for twenty or so years, The strigs were rusty, Don't know what  the timber is but it feels like lead!!

Seisnsn.jpg tIIzH7q.jpg

Washburn acoustic, I thought it was electro acoustic but it turned out to be an onboard tuner!!

EH6dA60.jpg

I got this cheap from the bootsale, It's called Oxen!, It plays lovely although I put really cheap strings on, I thought it would sound rubbish but it's not too bad, The actionn is nice too!

MULu2Dt.jpg

1970's Harmony Sovereign

Dt04y7H.jpg

A couple my brother bought just to customise, He doesn't play, Just wanted them for the wall!

MZJiumj.jpg wNEK5H4.jpg

I've given him a couple to add to them :thumbsup:

HAGWE.

As a metalhead with only pointy guitars (apart from an accoustir bass) I love these.....big soft spot for BC Rich.

• Like 2

I have had a twenty year struggle with playing the guitar. Its something I have always wanted to do but getting the time seems to be a bit of a struggle lately. But as of recently I have really been putting the hours and I think I am getting somewhere with it but very slowly! About 4 months ago I sold my electric which was a Jackson because I thought to myself that I am done with it, but about a month later I wanted to start learning again so I had to buy it all back! Only have an electric and an acoustic at this point but I am very happy with them and they more than meet my demands as a very poor guitarist!

My electric is a ESP LTD that's very much geared towards playing metal, has a volume knob and a bridge pickup. Very minimalist but I like it. 

2021-12-03_11-33-36

This one is my Yamaha acoustic!

2021-12-03_11-33-46

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roxyben said:

I have had a twenty year struggle with playing the guitar. Its something I have always wanted to do but getting the time seems to be a bit of a struggle lately. But as of recently I have really been putting the hours and I think I am getting somewhere with it but very slowly! About 4 months ago I sold my electric which was a Jackson because I thought to myself that I am done with it, but about a month later I wanted to start learning again so I had to buy it all back! Only have an electric and an acoustic at this point but I am very happy with them and they more than meet my demands as a very poor guitarist!

My electric is a ESP LTD that's very much geared towards playing metal, has a volume knob and a bridge pickup. Very minimalist but I like it. 

2021-12-03_11-33-36

This one is my Yamaha acoustic!

2021-12-03_11-33-46

Hi Ben

Acoustics are my great love and Yammies seem to be brilliant at any price level!!

I found this FG700 at a carboot sale, The headstock had been broken, I paid the grand sum of £1 for it and repaired it!!, It's turned out to be my 'Guitar at hand' in the bedroom! (Pc is in the bedroom so I sit up here mostly!!)..

For a quid, Even if I just removed the machines and binned the rest I would be quids in!! but it plays lovely!!
m6pX7u5.jpg yUUtsx9.jpg

QYB2jGv.jpg 7ragLPr.jpg

fUoeoZE.jpg nruVB0E.jpg Npm7mFE.jpg

There were two breaks so I glued one up then clamped it, The next day I rep[eated the process with the second split, Had to pull slightly to open the smallest split closest to the nut to get the syringe and ensure full coverage of glue!, I've knocked the guitar over several times and really thought the headstock would come apart but it never has!, The PVA glue from work is brilliant stuff for wood!:notworthy:

PS, Sorry for the bad pics!

HAGWE

John :thumbsup:

Edited by johnbaz
  • Like 1

Nice work @johnbaz. I'd be hopeless at anything like that but you have done an amazing job with that Yamaha!

Before I got this Yamaha I had a really cheap acoustic, some Argos special from back in the day, was horrible to play. The action was all out and was just a pain to play. Didn't sound great either. But yeah the Yamaha although not an expensive guitar plays and sounds really nice. Good enough for what I need anyway! Looks great on the wall also!

slowly getting there with playing, it's just lots of practice I need!

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 01:52, johnbaz said:

1970's Harmony Sovereign

Dt04y7H.jpg

I remember drooling over those in a music shop somewhere, must've been late 1960s. Good work on that Yamaha headstock. I wouldn't have expected it to hold.

My guitars have all gone now. Around 1967 I had an unbranded acoustic 12-string which was an early import from Japan, but a couple of years later someone sat on the neck and snapped it. Got it repaired, but it was never the same. After that I had a Gibson J50 which stayed for about 30 years, but it just wasn't getting used, so I sold it.

large.IMG_0667s.jpg.fee25b4ea8f3ea179b58119e2e2cd77d.jpg

My restoration project was a 1973 Gibson Ripper bass. Some lunatic had painted the body black and there was some kind of nasty varnish on the neck.

large.IMG_1836a.jpg.a93113ed0bd4fe570042ab067283e070.jpg

When I took the black pickguard off, I found the original tortoise shell one, which had also been painted black. Couldn't find a way to get the paint off without destroying it.

large.IMG_1870.JPG.0a775dd257a6daab1c7f4efa1662df20.JPG

Once the black paint was off the body, the original clear coat was still there and I was able to preserve a lot of it, especially on the back. The wood is alder.

large.IMG_1885a.jpg.1065e556171f6a8c79aab630bec3419b.jpglarge.IMG_1887a.jpg.16d7fd3a3d2fa351c836901f33f1cdf5.jpg

The electrics were okay, which is just as well, because Ripper wiring is a nightmare to sort out.

large.IMG_1977.JPG.c46923aca096b054345f81d2680c3f17.JPG

I found someone on Ebay who could make a trussrod cover with the right lettering.

large.IMG_1954a.jpg.2df8f585db250ab357438f052250f458.jpg

And a replacement pickguard, which was another mission, because most of the aftermarket ones have holes in the wrong places. Even on this one, the position of the volume and tone pots isn't quite right, but it'll have to do. I was pleased with how it turned out. I've had a lot of basses, but this and a '78 ebony Ripper are the only ones I have left.

large.IMG_1951.JPG.7166378b5526010a53d13b9c5238ec09.JPG

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I remember drooling over those in a music shop somewhere, must've been late 1960s. Good work on that Yamaha headstock. I wouldn't have expected it to hold.

My guitars have all gone now. Around 1967 I had an unbranded acoustic 12-string which was an early import from Japan, but a couple of years later someone sat on the neck and snapped it. Got it repaired, but it was never the same. After that I had a Gibson J50 which stayed for about 30 years, but it just wasn't getting used, so I sold it.

large.IMG_0667s.jpg.fee25b4ea8f3ea179b58119e2e2cd77d.jpg

My restoration project was a 1973 Gibson Ripper bass. Some lunatic had painted the body black and there was some kind of nasty varnish on the neck.

large.IMG_1836a.jpg.a93113ed0bd4fe570042ab067283e070.jpg

When I took the black pickguard off, I found the original tortoise shell one, which had also been painted black. Couldn't find a way to get the paint off without destroying it.

large.IMG_1870.JPG.0a775dd257a6daab1c7f4efa1662df20.JPG

Once the black paint was off the body, the original clear coat was still there and I was able to preserve a lot of it, especially on the back. The wood is alder.

large.IMG_1885a.jpg.1065e556171f6a8c79aab630bec3419b.jpglarge.IMG_1887a.jpg.16d7fd3a3d2fa351c836901f33f1cdf5.jpg

The electrics were okay, which is just as well, because Ripper wiring is a nightmare to sort out.

large.IMG_1977.JPG.c46923aca096b054345f81d2680c3f17.JPG

I found someone on Ebay who could make a trussrod cover with the right lettering.

large.IMG_1954a.jpg.2df8f585db250ab357438f052250f458.jpg

And a replacement pickguard, which was another mission, because most of the aftermarket ones have holes in the wrong places. Even on this one, the position of the volume and tone pots isn't quite right, but it'll have to do. I was pleased with how it turned out. I've had a lot of basses, but this and a '78 ebony Ripper are the only ones I have left.

large.IMG_1951.JPG.7166378b5526010a53d13b9c5238ec09.JPG

Some lovely gear there Norm!

I would have cried my eyes out if someone sat on any of my guitars and broke them!! :mad0218:

The scarfe joint that holds the headstock to the neck is just a flat glued joint so with a broken head there's more area to be glued as they never break off dead straight (Which means that the glued joint is stronger than the surrounding timber!), The more area of glue, The stronger the joint!! :thumbsup:

I've got a handful of guitars and four or five handfuls of basses Inc a couple of nice 70s Precisions with Jazz width necks and a couple of Rickenbackers. I play bass in a Classic/Blues Rock band who have been going since the 60s called 'Stray'. We tour on the rock circuit playing small theatres, rock venues and holiday camp rock weekends. Much fun! I've just retired from the day job so got a lot more time to throw into music now - happy Daze!

• Like 1

I like peices of wood, made in such a way that they can be played musically.

It isn't so hard to make a peice of wood do this, honestly, it isn't. It's harder to find someone to make a bit of wood with strings make music.

Do I like guitars.. I guess so. :thumbsup:

This one is my favorite just now. 

Sorry for the sideways photo. :)

large.FB_IMG_1638988325256.jpg.9d9ffb19746a90a422d67f1722c98736.jpg

• Like 1