• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

...But in real life...

Went to Brighton today and strolled through the 'laines' and eventually fetched up in the watch quarter. Some seriously nice watches on display...was astounded at the price they wanted for an older Rolex Pepsi GMT than mine....£6K....(I might have to review my asking price) and an LV like Bond's was also £6K. However, after lusting after an Omega 'Speedy' or 'Moonwatch' for years, was very much underwhelmed when I actually saw one in the flesh. I came away thinking, I'll stick with the Seikos, thankyou. I did see a beautiful yellow Breitling 'Super Ocean'...(couldn't believe how big it was), but at £2050, I thought 'You're having a 'bubble'...' Have you ever been disappointed when you see an 'icon' in the flesh?

• Like 6

i bought my wifes engagement ring in the brighton lanes, cost me £300 23 years ago, was valued for insurance at £25,000 :swoon: i thought it was all a bit of bling but its high quality diamonds and ceylon sapphires...she wont let me sell it though...........how selfish, i paid for it :angry:

apologies.....a bit off topic :sadwalk: 

21 minutes ago, Bruce said:

...she wont let me sell it though...........how selfish, i paid for it :angry:

I think you should point out Bruce that you paid for it so actually it's your property and you have the right to sell it and keep all the proceeds, I'm sure she will understand :thumbsup: But don't tell her I said so 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Faze said:

For years I've lusted after the below Omega, then I saw one in Bristol and was shocked to see how small it looked in the flesh.
There is no way my chunky Ape arms could pull it off :(

1-1.jpg

Actually saw one of those today, Trev and thought 'Nah'....I've seen one before on here and liked it, but in the flesh.....it's just another watch with nothing to commend it.

30 minutes ago, Bruce said:

i bought my wifes engagement ring in the brighton lanes, cost me £300 23 years ago, was valued for insurance at £25,000 :swoon: i thought it was all a bit of bling but its high quality diamonds and ceylon sapphires...she wont let me sell it though...........how selfish, i paid for it :angry:

Funnily enough, Bruce, it's our 23rd anniversary today...and that's why we went there for a day trip.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Careful what you wish for, before before Christmas the Boz suddenly got an Eternity ring into her head.  Looked all over but the diamonds " didn't go far enough around."  Ended up with lots of Brownie points and a depleted bank balance in Goldsmiths. :swoon:

Beware.....you may be forking out not cashing in Bruce, women and jewellery are unpredictable :yes:

• Like 1

Several times... 

Apple Watch (didn't buy, just tried a friends on - too small and light)

Breil Chrono I bought several years ago, I wanted one after seeing it in a shop, when I went back for a second look and to try on it had sold! So I decided to buy online, and I was so disappointed when I got it, more Bang than Buck to be honest.

Rolex Daytona - Beautiful watch design, craftsmanship, heritage etc... When I had the chance to try one on and wear it for a bit, it was very underwhelming, and scratches very easily! Surprisingly small on the wrist and relitively light weight.

Theres more to come over the years I expect... Lol

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Actually saw one of those today, Trev and thought 'Nah'....I've seen one before on here and liked it, but in the flesh.....it's just another watch with nothing to commend it.

Funnily enough, Bruce, it's our 23rd anniversary today...and that's why we went there for a day trip.

Congratulations to you Both Roger :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, RWP said:

Indeed......silver in two years Rog.:thumbsup:

Yep...and a Life sentence, Rog....but I love her and don't care who knows it...too many blokes are frightened to reveal their true feelings for their spouse for fear of ridicule. We all may joke about them, and call them funny names, but most of us probably couldn't function without them.

...and getting back on track, while wiping a stray tear away....damn....must be a bit of dust or something...I did see an absolutely gorgeous Rolex Deep Sea, Sea Dweller, and stared at it for at least 5 minutes....even 'er indoors' said she liked it....but at £6k............?   I'm sure one will show up in the SC a bit cheaper.....

Edited by Roger the Dodger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

but I love her and don't care who knows it...too many blokes are frightened to reveal their true feelings

i love her too, just dont tell my wife she gets very jealous :rofl: 

6 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Your a very sad man Bruce..:laugh:....did you want to see a pic of the 710.....you may change your mind.....:(

just hit me..we are 23 years this year too :swoon: where did it go ?

56 minutes ago, graham1981 said:

I think you should point out Bruce that you paid for it so actually it's your property and you have the right to sell it and keep all the proceeds, I'm sure she will understand :thumbsup: But don't tell her I said so 

Well Bruce you could always hold a gun to her head! :laugh:

Edited by Craftycockney
  • Like 1

I`m sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed by the Speedy Moonwatch, Roger, I had to wait nearly 40 years to get mine and wasn`t in the slightest bit disappointed when I finally got one..

OMEGA, Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00, cal.1861 18 Jewels.

OmegaIMG_7871.jpg

OmegaSpeedie600kbIMG_7793.jpg

It remains one of my favourite watches2316a_zpsctz5gs0n.gif  thumbs_up_by_weapons_expert_cool-d6sx4o7

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

my Sha...or Sheila...xxx

I need to explain this,,,,,my beautiful wife's name is Sheila. When her neices were born and started talking, they couldn't pronounce 'Sheila' and would say 'She-ah...this got contracted to 'Sha'.....which I know is a Cockney contraction of 'Sharon', but to this day, my girl is known as 'Sha' or 'Sharnie' to everyone that knows her.....including her mother...

8 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I`m sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed by the Speedy Moonwatch, Roger, I had to wait nearly 40 years to get mine and wasn`t in the slightest bit disappointed when I finally got one..

Omega, Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00, cal.1861 18 Jewels.

OmegaIMG_7871.jpg

OmegaSpeedie600kbIMG_7793.jpg

It remains one of my favourite watches2316a_zpsctz5gs0n.gif  thumbs_up_by_weapons_expert_cool-d6sx4o7

Yep....you see Mach...it looks great in all these pics.....but when you see it in real life, you just go 'Meh'.........that's one of Hugh's sayings BTW and I have no idea what it really means except ...ordinary....:laugh:
Did you ever see an OM in real life....or were you just going on pics posted here....the reality makes all the difference..as the above shows...?

19 minutes ago, Bruce said:

this is my wife, i wish she would get her fashion up to date, i have poor eye sight, but i am told she is pretty and her voice is bit gruff

fat_scottish_wanker.jpg

Bloody hell, Bruce.....I'd run for the hills if I was you.....

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Yep....you see Mach...it looks great in all these pics.....but when you see it in real life, you just go 'Meh'.........that's one of Hugh's sayings BTW and I have no idea what it really means except ...ordinary....:laugh:
Did you ever see an OM in real life....or were you just going on pics posted here....the reality makes all the difference..as the above shows...?

Seen it in the flesh and tried it on, still one of my favourite watches and am planning on finally owning one this year.

• Like 1

I have spent the last year lusting over watches online and being underwhelmed when finally seeing them in the flesh

For me I think my expectations are too high/unrealistic, I always seem to get to the point of comparing with the cheap watch I have on and thinking 'is it worth thousands more than this one?' 

I have decided I am happily at my level and because of that I have more in my savings account :) 

• Like 2

I have to say that pretty much all Rolex divers leave me underwhelmed and I can't really work out why? I like them, I really do, but when I put them on the wrist, I just don't feel the love. But I feel more positive about older versions of their divers, such as owned by Trigger. The only real exception in the current line-up is the D-deep sea sea dweller and I think that's because of it's larger size (44mm) and the stunning blue into black dial. But sadly, it comes with an even more stunning price! And don't even mention the Milgauss range! :aggressive:

VRxVmXNDkbGu8oB38vh19cTXz-f0UM-44yIxVE3U

Edited by Caller

49 minutes ago, Caller said:

VRxVmXNDkbGu8oB38vh19cTXz-f0UM-44yIxVE3U

There is far too much writing all over the modern Rolex Diver range for my liking. I went and had a look at few, with intent to buy but none of them would tear me away from my current 5513 Sub and the fact that they are getting unnecessarily bigger is another huge turn-off for me....

There have been loads over the years that I have lusted after and then instantly gone 'oh' when Ive unpacked them, you tend ( I do anyway ) to know instantly they are not going to work, Ive never had a watch grow on me ( that sounds odd ) and sell those on straight away.... I can't remember any of them to give examples though!