• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

...But in real life...

17 minutes ago, jasonm said:

There have been loads over the years that I have lusted after and then instantly gone 'oh' when Ive unpacked them, you tend ( I do anyway ) to know instantly they are not going to work, Ive never had a watch grow on me ( that sounds odd ) and sell those on straight away.... I can't remember any of them to give examples though! 

I tend to agree. First impressions and all that lot. The one exception being the Chris Ward trident pro. Couldn't take my eyes off the photos, took it out of the box, hardly touched it. 5 months later and I'm slowly starting to like it. 

7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

'Meh'.........that's one of Hugh's sayings BTW and I have no idea what it really means except ...ordinary....:laugh:

Pretty much. Think of it as onomatopoeia, a non-plussed grunt :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Yep....you see Mach...it looks great in all these pics.....but when you see it in real life, you just go 'Meh'.........that's one of Hugh's sayings BTW and I have no idea what it really means except ...ordinary....:laugh:
Did you ever see an OM in real life....or were you just going on pics posted here....the reality makes all the difference..as the above shows...?

You are partially right there Roger, the Speedy does look great in the photos but (imo obviously) it looks & feels even better in real life. As to the 200m Monster, I`ve owned a couple of the 100m versions & think they are well kewl, ignoring the water resistance the main difference between the two watches is the 200`s (again imo) pointlessly fugly crown guard yuck%201_zpszqhgc12m.gif

2 hours ago, jasonm said:

There have been loads over the years that I have lusted after and then instantly gone 'oh' when Ive unpacked them, you tend ( I do anyway ) to know instantly they are not going to work, Ive never had a watch grow on me ( that sounds odd ) and sell those on straight away.... I can't remember any of them to give examples though! 

I  have had that happen myself, though thankfully it has been a rare event :biggrin:

1 hour ago, jasonm said:

morning

I can mine jasonm, its for sale on the forum right now ! worn twice I think, was never the one I wanted really bit looked like a good substitute, wrong, oh and I love my speedy from first viewing

deano

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Faze said:

There is no way my chunky Ape arms could pull it off :(

1-1.jpg

I had to lose the the 'chunky ape' look on advice from my cardiologist, ... :biggrin:   I can say now though that not only does this watch fit me perfectly, it's one of my favourites, great looking watch and comfortable as hell... Terrific for timing boiling eggs to perfection too... :)

24351211131_0f9e9be34f_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

Lovely Dynamic Chrono, but the movement puts me away.

I had a Reduced one with similar 2894-2 Dubois Depraz module and I spent around 300 GBP on a repair, so next Speedy will be either with Lemania or the good old Valjoux.

Cheers

Dim

It's true a service isn't cheap but there again luckily they don't seem to need them that often. In over twenty years this one only needed one service, recently, because the pushers were getting a bit sticky, no parts needed replacing and I'm confident it will go on for a good while yet. I've got both Lemania Speedmasters and watches with the Valjoux 7750 and like them too, though I suspect replacement parts on those may go up in price too in the next few years.

I like having a watch with the DD module, they may be idiosyncratic but they are fun, and totally different... :)

6 hours ago, artistmike said:

It's true a service isn't cheap but there again luckily they don't seem to need them that often. In over twenty years this one only needed one service, recently, because the pushers were getting a bit sticky, no parts needed replacing and I'm confident it will go on for a good while yet. I've got both Lemania Speedmasters and watches with the Valjoux 7750 and like them too, though I suspect replacement parts on those may go up in price too in the next few years.

I like having a watch with the DD module, they may be idiosyncratic but they are fun, and totally different... :)

The watches with these movements are slimmer but the small second hand freezes for a glimpse when starting/stopping or resetting the chrono. 

Cheers

Dim 

My "oh" moment came when I saw the Sarb017 in the flesh. I had been longing for one ever since I first saw it, then visited a fellow WIS and was so glad I never saved up for one. The dial looks so small and out of proportion to the watch as a whole.

22865760413_8f4e4179cd.jpg

If money were no object, I would still buy one though.From a distance it's still a beauty.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2016 at 22:28, Roger the Dodger said:

.' Have you ever been disappointed when you see an 'icon' in the flesh?

Well Rog, usually I just sign my star struck fan's knickers and give them a kiss! (and the Lady's as well :toot: )

Then I quickly leave the building :band:

• Like 1