• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hello fellow forum members,

This is my first post and will arguably be my most important, so if anybody would be able to provide any help or useful information then I would be very appreciative.

So a little bit of a background, I'm 21 and have always loved watches, I recently decided to follow my passion and am seeking to begin a career within watch repair and watch making and having found out recently that my great great grandfather was a watch maker in London, who moved to Coventry where my family were raised has given me a real sense of vindication and desire to carry on a trade which seems to be being lost somewhat with the advances of modern day technology. I've always been a curious mind and am of a highly analytical and detail loving nature, which has helped me to work within professional sports coaching and repairing my first car as a necessity/hobby (FIATs definitely stand for Fix It Again Tomorrow :laugh:)

Anyway, onto the current situation, with me working a full time afternoon and evenings Monday-Friday coaching job, I am trying to find a way of getting onto the BHI Distance Learning Course diploma level 3 but it requires (from the description of the course) a significant array of tools and equipment which I have neither the space or funds to purchase and use.

Having sent off emails to various local jewelers and watch repair shops/boutiques I am yet to hear anything positive. So my question is, does anybody on here have experience of the course, where did you study for your course (practical elements mainly), do you know of any watch makers/repairers within Coventry, Warwickshire or the West Midlands who would be open to having a weekend volunteer, and finally how long did the course take you to complete all the twelve modules. My reason for asking the last question is that I am off to move to America to marry my fiance sometime towards the end of the year hence the choice of distance learning course instead of the in house courses.

Finally, as someone who is new to the horology scene, I have massive respect for everybody who is within it, as the detail and accuracy is much greater than I first imagined.

Many Thanks,

Tom 

2 hours ago, bry1975 said:

Hi Tom,

Why not email Steve Burrage Leicester.

Hi bry1975, I've just been on his website but it says he is closed and his contact page is a dead link.

Dont suppose you have his email address yourself do you?

Cheers,

Tom