• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Audemars Freaket

Your First Watch, When, Where & How?

Hi all,

I'm new on here so I figured what a better way to meet you all by finding out what your first timepiece was, when you got it, where did you purchase/acquire it from, and how did you find it?

I'll start off with my Citizen Chronograph, I got this in August 2011 from F.Hinds as a reward for passing my GCSE exams! As soon as I laid eyes on it and saw the 25% off sticker I knew it would be the one ha. I soon got bored with the standard strap so put my own crazy twist on it and put this bright orange strap on it.

Tomimage1_zpsopxkn52j.jpg

• Like 2

Hi mate. I'm new on here too and my first watch was a Vivienne Westwood Barbiacan Watch. Bought just about 2 weeks ago. At the tender age of 35! I sort of went for the look and found it for a bit of a bargain price compared to most retail prices. I even found a discount code so jut ended up buying it.

I'm not too sure on that strap though..It might clash with my tan! But if it works for you then why not.

• Like 1

My first watch was when I was about 8. I had some money at Christmas, mainly from Gran, and I put it together to buy something. My mother suggested I buy a watch so I went to Argos where she talked me into getting a Seconda. I recall she seemed to find it amusing talking me into buying a Seconda for some reason - never really worked out why though! I still have it, but it's languishing in my loft in quite a sorry state. This is a picture from the web of one very similar

6884aafeec0aa6e5f8c4549852c136fb_zpsoa0v

• Like 1

Welcome.   Back in the early sixties it would have been a TIMEX mechanical.  Long gone.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Like Muddy D my first watch was a Sekonda & I was also 8 but got it as a birthday present. :yes:

image.jpg1_89.jpg

• Like 1

Muddy D, my grandfather had that exact watch! He used to let me wind it up, then shout at me a few hours later because I never wound it enough... Lol

dont know what ever happened to it though :(

• Like 1

I can't actually remember what my first watch was, I can remember when I was really young I wanted a flik flak watch (remember those???) Don't think I got one though :( .

Edited by graham1981
  • Like 1

I bought a Timex pocket watch also, but then I bought a Services chronograph, my then girlfriend who became my wife bought maea resin cased Casio alarm chrono, the battery in it I killed in a month. Uh oh said the shop that battery should last two years......  So then I bought that Tissot PR516

20160318_211348_zpstqmidt57.jpg?w=480&h=

This was given to me as a Christmas present from my employer about 10 years ago

But this was the first watch I purchased

20160318_211421_zpsmjsumgwb.jpg?w=480&h=

When I was a waif, I got a Smiths "boys" watch when I was eleven.

I prefered Airfix kits (I was hoping for the Sunderland), or the more exotic American kits like Revell for Crimbo, they were more expensive of course.:wink:

I didn't need a watch, I went home when my mates did, or when it started to get dark. The batteries in my cheap torches always leaked in no time.:angry:

My Mum insisted I got home by 5pm in the Summer months, not that I knew or cared about the time, I was exploring the countyside and getting some sun.

The watch was a bad thing, it was like having Mum on my wrist.

Sorry lads, it's time I went home. My Mum doesn't care about cricket, or blowing up cow pats with bangers!:biggrin:

That was about the time the first publicised case of child muder by a predator was aired on TV.:angry:

It seems that's why my Mum thought I needed a watch.

• Like 1

My first ever watch was this one, which my dad got for me when I was at secondry school and decided it was about time I had a watch. Oris wasn't the brand it now is then and it's tiny. I changed the strap from a metal expanding bracelet to what you see. It never really fitted properly, but I didn't care then!

YR90G913qLE7_pFRqm_5Bg5md1qNR8pkiZcmoXpU

Edited by Caller
  • Like 2

My first watch cost £100 in 1974 took me 7 years to save up for it .

it was a 9ct square faced Rotary on gold bracelet it was nothing but trouble had to take it back as stem kept snapping .I remember 1 time asking the man behind the counter to wind it up (it had been returned after repair ) yes you guessed it it broke .after15-20 times being repaired it broke again and in my temper I smashed it against a wall then put it in a bag and dropped it in the shop ( no words were said ) and to my surprise they refunded my £100 by post .

• Like 1