• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I just wanted to share with everyone an interesting and thought provoking story I stumbled across on Instagram a couple of days ago.

This guys home was completely destroyed by a bushfire back in 2013, it was one of the most ferocious bushfires to have hit Australia in 2013, and it literally destroyed everything in its path, reaching temperatures of 1600 degrees Celsius. 

Except for in this individuals case... His Speedy survived, obviously it doesn't work any more, but the owner took time to clean it up, and It now has incredible sentimental value, as it was the only thing which survived the blaze. Also with 5 of the hands still in tact...

Much more of an extreme test, compared to anything NASA threw at it!

Quote from the Speedmasters Owner:

"Yes I have a deep attachment to my Moonwatch And from time to time I still wear it. After what it has been through I think that wearing it shows respect for my watch. I loved it from the day I obtained it and I still love it!"

b8b97e42951de8d11c52ce01dfb51a69_zpsgqji

2a9cccaf3330d99bffb3aa972c0aea82_zps7qe1

• Like 3

Erm...survived? :)

I suppose it still exists and it held up quite well considering, more amazing that it was found afterwards

i suspect that most steel watches would have faired just as well, in fact an SKX would have probably have kept decent time afterwards, sorry not buying into the Omega propaganda :) 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Montybaber said:

i suspect that most steel watches would have faired just as well, in fact an SKX would have probably have kept decent time afterwards

Might have needed a new bezel insert. And a shake. 

I read a thing from a bloke that worked on oil farms who said an SKX was blown off his wrist in an explosion and found fifty yards away ticking away merrily. I don't think he fared quite so well,  but he lived to tell the tale. 

• Like 1