• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi All, 

I'm new in the forum. I have been looking to purchase a new divers watch now i've caught the bug! I would live a submariner, unfortunately that looks a good few years off at the moment. I have been looking around at non homage alternatives and I have really taken a liking to the Tag heuer Aquaracer (Wan 2110) .. i was hoping to get some yhoughts or maybe some alternative ideas. 

Thanks,

Gino 

If it's the calibre 5 then in my opinion it's a nice piece of watch. TAG do get a bit of stick amongst watch fans mainly due to the movements they use/have used. I've got a nice F1 quartz Grande Date and it's been a brilliant watch :)

Depends on the money really - if we're talking £1000 ish your in Seamaster territory which is probably a better buy if you want to sell it on or trade it later. :)

Any pics? everyone likes pictures!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

If it's the calibre 5 then in my opinion it's a nice piece of watch. TAG do get a bit of stick amongst watch fans mainly due to the movements they use/have used. I've got a nice F1 quartz Grande Date and it's been a brilliant watch :)

Depends on the money really - if we're talking £1000 ish your in Seamaster territory which is probably a better buy if you want to sell it on or trade it later. :)

Any pics? everyone likes pictures!

Love a Tag got 2 Calibre 5's. Love or hate on wrist there's no complaints from me

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat as you - looking for my first "real" watch, looking for it to be a diver but not in a real position to afford my ideal of a Seamaster.

As it happens I tried on the TAG Aquaracer you mentioned just the other day.  My primary reason for trying was its size and aesthetics - round hour markers for 1,2,4,5,7,8,10 and 11, battons at 12, 3, 6 and 9, sweeping second hand, relatively slim bezel and stainless construction.  I'm afraid that I can't say too much one way or the other about the movement because I saw the price (£1700 in round numbers) and it was well out of my budget.

It sure was an elegant watch though and did sit pretty on my wrist, so if someone else can vouch for the movement quality, you might be onto a winner.

However, for that money one can definitely consider a very good pre-owned Seamaster or Tudor and that is where my cash would go - I'd rather buy a good quality, used watch that might appreciate in value (trade back at cost in the worst case) rather than brand new for the same price.

For my own starting watch I'm certainly entertaining a homage option - Steinhart Ocean One, Squale 1545, Ollech and Wajs Cobra or Christophwe Ward C60 Trident.  Or a very cheap Seamaster....

James

• Like 1

I would not be spending more than £1,000 on a Tag.  They are repositioning the brand downwards and it is likely to have an affect on used values.  

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag-heuer-interim-ceo-jean-claude-biver-confirms-new-pricing-brand-strategy/

At £1700 I would be taking Tudor very seriously.  Under £1,000 then Steinhart are very good value, but try Oris and Longines too.

Enjoy the chase

thank you...

so much to consider, I was looking at the Steinhart also. I think the used market could be a good shout, I really like the tudors and equally the seamasters. If I can find the right deal that may be the best option. Yhabks again really helpful and insightful.

Can anyone recommend a reputable 2nd hand website ?

To give you an idea on price I've just bought a 2013 for £780 with everything including receipts and just had a battery and seal fitted by Beaverbrooks in January. I thought it was a bargain.

In weight and feel it's too similar to my Brietling so I think I will be moving it on. 

D586C60F-C18F-4E3F-9C1D-81F053B158B7.jpg

5CB7170D-159C-48A3-AC75-B97C621BCD79.jpg

• Like 2

Seamaster is a good shout, and so is Tudor. Your Seamasters are more expensive if you want auto and full size (£1200ish), or less for mid and quartz (£800). Personally, I really like the 2254 (probably nearer £1300)

tumblr_lli68hykRx1qc0o4po1_1280.jpg

Tudor Hydronaut is probably the only one in a simlar price range:

hydronaut.jpg

I'd also throw in Breitling- some older SuperOceans and Colts would be in your price range:

New%20Superocean%20Standard%20w%20Blue%2

P4090020_zps1fvcxf8h.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, JimboJames1972 said:

but I'm extremely nervous of shelling out this sort of cash on something that seems to be so readily faked...

J

And this is why it's so important to learn about the model that you're about to buy. Most fakes have tell-tales that enable you to spot them, so learn what the model should look like and you'll rarely if ever make a mistake. ..:)

Tag - perfectly decent but nothing special - and certainly don't hold their value. And it might not be one you still like in a few years time.

There are far better options out there for the money unless it's love at first sight.

Square could be added into the mix for the Sub style.

And the MM300 is quite superb too.

39 minutes ago, OldHooky said:

Tag - perfectly decent but nothing special - and certainly don't hold their value. And it might not be one you still like in a few years time.

There are far better options out there for the money unless it's love at first sight.

Square could be added into the mix for the Sub style.

And the MM300 is quite superb too.

I think Carrera and Monaco owners might differ slightly with your opinion. Lot of 'which watch to collect' write up almost always tend to include the above as must haves as sound collection pieces.