• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Heuer repair & service?

Good Morning All,

First, you will note some supreme lurking - 7 years since my first (and only post)!

The crown on my manual wind Heuer CS3110 Carrera re-edition sheared off last week.

I have spoken to STS who have said that it will need a new stem and crown along with a full service! This confused me slightly:

1. Why does it need a new crown, can the stem not be separated from the crown and a new one fixed?
  2. Is a full service really necessary? It was serviced by STS less than 3 years ago (£350+)
  3. Can you recommend anyone suitable to carry out a this repair and not a full service?

Maybe i'm being mean, but the stem appears to be a £20 part and i'd like to avoid spending £400+ getting it changed.

Many thanks,

BlueRock

• Like 1

The crown is integral to waterproofing so they may have a policy of only fitting new ones. STS and OSC change it as standard on any Omega service. Also while they will do part repairs to the case etc, they consider the stem and crown as part of the movement assembly and in my experience always insist on a full service if any part of the movement is touched. I respect STS enormously but not sure I would go to theme with anything non-Omega like this. In your shoes I would try Genesis, or maybe Thewatchbloke (both coincidentally called Duncan) but I know the latter is swamped with work at present. Search for either, they are easy to find.

Edited by Padders

I have a lovely Aquaracer (older style).

When I sent it for a service (to an indy!0 I was told I really needed a new crown (when I hadthe watch, I always found the crown "awkward! and stiff").

I had a new crown and stem fitted as part of the service. I "think " the crown was about £50..............I can always dig out the service invoice!

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

The crown is integral to waterproofing so they may have a policy of only fitting new ones. The change it as standard on an Omega service. Also while they will do part repairs to the case etc, they consider the stem and crown as part of the movement assembly and in my experience always insist on a full service if any part of the movement is touched. I respect STS enormously but not sure I would go to theme with anything non-Omega like this. In your shoes I would try Genesis, or maybe Thewatchbloke (both coincidentally called Duncan) but I know the latter is swamped with work at present. Search for either, they are easy to find.

Thanks Padders, its is actually SwissTec who i have the quote from (the non-Omega department of STS). I don't mind changing the crown so much as requiring the full service in addition. I will look up your recommendations, thanks. BlueRock

4 minutes ago, marley said:

I have a lovely Aquaracer (older style).

When I sent it for a service (to an indy!0 I was told I really needed a new crown (when I hadthe watch, I always found the crown "awkward! and stiff").

I had a new crown and stem fitted as part of the service. I "think " the crown was about £50..............I can always dig out the service invoice!

Hi Marley, yes, the stem and crown is only £55 (+VAT) but the service is another £295 + VAT. I suspect it might be easier to replace the stem and crown at the same time rather than to try and remove the small sheared part of the stem from the crown as i don't know if it is screwed in, glued or friction fitted. Thanks, BlueRock

I met a guy who showed me his lovely Patek Philippe watch that he was wearing. He then told me a story about the fact that the watch needed repair quite soon after he had bought it (new), so he took it to Watches of Switzerland and was told that the repair work would cost him well into the hundreds. He then took the watch to a decent jeweller who sent it to an independent watch repairer of good reputation, and the piece was fixed for a fraction of the price being touted by Watches of Switzerland, with a service included in the deal. 

As to the nature of the damage done to your Heuer watch, I am not surprised that you need a new stem if the crown has "sheared" off. This has happened to me, and I don't see how you could re-attach a crown to the original stem and obtain a joint sufficiently strong for normal wear. But then, I am no repairer and just hope that you can get your Carrera up and running again for not too much money.:)

Guest Bruce
31 minutes ago, BlueRock said:

Thanks Padders, its is actually SwissTec who i have the quote from (the non-Omega department of STS). I don't mind changing the crown so much as requiring the full service in addition. I will look up your recommendations, thanks. BlueRock

Hi Marley, yes, the stem and crown is only £55 (+VAT) but the service is another £295 + VAT. I suspect it might be easier to replace the stem and crown at the same time rather than to try and remove the small sheared part of the stem from the crown as i don't know if it is screwed in, glued or friction fitted. Thanks, BlueRock

a few days in alum will remove the broken stem from the crown, then all you will need is a new stem

7 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I met a guy who showed me his lovely Patek Philippe watch that he was wearing. He then told me a story about the fact that the watch needed repair quite soon after he had bought it (new), so he took it to Watches of Switzerland and was told that the repair work would cost him well into the hundreds. He then took the watch to a decent jeweller who sent it to an independent watch repairer of good reputation, and the piece was fixed for a fraction of the price being touted by Watches of Switzerland, with a service included in the deal. 

As to the nature of the damage done to your Heuer watch, I am not surprised that you need a new stem if the crown has "sheared" off. This has happened to me, and I don't see how you could re-attach a crown to the original stem and obtain a joint sufficiently strong for normal wear. But then, I am no repairer and just hope that you can get your Carrera up and running again for not too much money.:)

Thank-you Always Watching,

Thinking about it i need to know why it sheared off. The part must be designed to cope with the turning force of winding the watch every day but has something added to this force (friction in the movement) to cause it to break. If so then a service is required but maybe not the SwissTec one. The watch is about 17 years old but was bought by me completely NOS (blue protection on metal surfaces etc.) in 2012 so the stem has only been used for four years and was services in 2013. This is my daily (and only) watch. BlueRock

It might be difficult to remove the snapped stem from the crown, making a new crown a better option.  If they are quoting over the phone then they don't know how easy/difficult removing the other half of the stem from the movement will be either.

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

a few days in alum will remove the broken stem from the crown, then all you will need is a new stem

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

7 minutes ago, Big Bad Boris said:

and if the stem is difficult to source - you can add a stem extender.

A new stem is the better solution though.

59 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

It might be difficult to remove the snapped stem from the crown, making a new crown a better option.  If they are quoting over the phone then they don't know how easy/difficult removing the other half of the stem from the movement will be either.

I think the stem should be relatively easy to source.

Bruce, it has sheared almost flush with the crown:

I8KJoRqN4wHEpJlRCU3cYcNRuN1d1sOvuCwWxil7

Guest Bruce
Just now, BlueRock said:

I think the stem should be relatively easy to source.

Bruce, it has sheared almost flush with the crown:

I8KJoRqN4wHEpJlRCU3cYcNRuN1d1sOvuCwWxil7

3 or 4 days in alum and it will be dissolved and the crown will be untouched 

3 minutes ago, Bruce said:

3 or 4 days in alum and it will be dissolved and the crown will be untouched 

Noted, thank-you. Bluerock.

Thank-you all for advice, i have contacted Genesis.

I know everyone appreciates a photo so here is the watch in better times:

LNmqxmESqjd9iSLRuGKBFG2cWWYP4IjhY3D1vw0l

BlueRock