Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

Dear Bloggers,

the last time i tried to get some advices here, at this forum, I just got crushed and banned for no reason. So I retry it. My name is Nico and i am 23 years old. I am living in Germany and working as intern in Switzerland. 

Lately i found a great watch to buy, but i do not really have the knowledge about what i have to take care of when buying a high quality watch. What are the famous mistakes made?

Probably anyone of you might give me some hints?

If needed I can post the link of the watch, although i am not sure, if it is allowed to post things here. Probably a reason why i got banned last time?

Never mind, thank you for your advices.

Sincerely,

Nico  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

S. Hoffmeister ( info@unikatuhren.ch ) said: Today we see our pictures on your Forum. You dont have a authorization for this Pictures.

Wow, they've grabbed their handbag. Maybe the truth hurts a little. Although some said it was an ok watch. I think it was a 52/48 split, with an under 80% turnout.

Hey,

so actually i am concern about buying a watch from a small manufacturer in switzerland.

It got a SW200-1 movement. Is this movement good? I mean the watch costs about 1300 Euro. I know it is probably high prized so i am not quite sure if i am about to do a great mistake.

Here is the link of their website:

http://www.unikatuhren.ch/deepbluestar.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biker said:

Try this..

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/making-sense-of-the-sellita-sw200-movement-same-as-eta-2824-2/

Deep Blue do seem to enjoy a reasonable reputation, but I don't know anything about their pricing or value for money

Well, i already read that post. The problem is i am new to the topic of good watches. I normally bought "Fossil", therefore i dont know what is special on ETA movements like the 2824 etc.

Is the ETA 2824 better than the ETA 6497? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Bruce
5 minutes ago, WatchYourMind said:

Well, i already read that post. The problem is i am new to the topic of good watches. I normally bought "Fossil", therefore i dont know what is special on ETA movements like the 2824 etc.

Is the ETA 2824 better than the ETA 6497? 

i thought you asked about the selita ? its a clone of the 2824, the 6497 is also an eta so will be built to the same standard unless you buy a clone version, but the 2824 and 6497 are completely different movements....so different i dont think they can be compared

the only thing i would add is maybe you ought to think before parting with 1300 euro's for a relatively unknown watch running a selita sw200 . i wouldn't pay that for a watch with and eta

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I questioned the pricing policy.

Then again Panerai's come in at silly prices and some of them are sporting the 6497 Handwind.

I think to simplify the above question the 2824 is an auto mov't and the 6947 is a significantly larger hand wind mov't.

The sellita is a reasonable quality copy of the 2824.  But as Bruce says, that's a lot on beans for a 2814 copy (no matter how good).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about it a long time now. I did research the manufacturer and he got really good reviews. Even the materials seem to be of high quality. 

As i said, my only problem is that i have not the knowledge about movements, since there are various types.

2 minutes ago, Biker said:

That's why I questioned the pricing policy.

Then again Panerai's come in at silly prices and some of them are sporting the 6497 Handwind.

I think to simplify the above question the 2824 is an auto mov't and the 6947 is a significantly larger hand wind mov't.

The sellita is a reasonable quality copy of the 2824.  But as Bruce says, that's a lot on beans for a 2814 copy (no matter how good).

Well what is a good movement for this price?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there is the question, the trade cost for a 2824 is around 280Euros, so is the case metal and build quality worth the extra e1000?

Personally I don't know BUT a good percentage of the price is gaze factor, if you like the look and feel of the watch, knowing that it has a decent workhorse in there, is it worth e1300 to you?

(sorry I don't have the Euro symbol)

Maybe look at edox or omega

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Bruce
9 minutes ago, WatchYourMind said:

I thought about it a long time now. I did research the manufacturer and he got really good reviews. Even the materials seem to be of high quality. 

As i said, my only problem is that i have not the knowledge about movements, since there are various types.

Well what is a good movement for this price?

the question is more what is a good price for this movement 

here is one after a quick search, i am sure they can be bought a lot cheaper especially in bulk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sellita-SW200-1-Automatik-Uhrwerk-mit-Datum-Swiss-Made-Uhrwerk-/122020653981?hash=item1c68ff6b9d:g:Tm8AAOSwNuxXZunR

if you think the watch in question is 1300 euro's that should make you think

here's an ETA 2824..again can be found a lot cheaper and in bulk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOVEMENT-ETA-2824-2-AUTOMATIC-DATE-3H-NICKEL-PLATED-SWISS-MADE-NEW-/131796672003?hash=item1eafb19e03:g:0vAAAOSw4HVWFA25

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Nick,  make sure it's genuine, check the prices elsewhere, and exercise due diligence.  You can post a pic of the watch.  People don't get banned for nothing on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Bruce
4 minutes ago, WatchYourMind said:

Okay, thank you for your advices. I really appreciate it. 

I think i should not buy this watch then.

Quess i have to search for a better quality build movement. 

i think you misunderstand, its not the quality of the movements, even chinese clones like seagull are fine movements and cheap too, its the prices of the watches that are the issue IMO, there are plenty of really good well known brands like Tissot for example that use good movements and you can buy a new one for less than half the price of the example you have shown with a better movement

1 minute ago, RWP said:

Hello Nick,  make sure it's genuine, check the prices elsewhere, and exercise due diligence.  You can post a pic of the watch.  People don't get banned for nothing on here.

Rog..your banned !        :rofl:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bruce said:

i think you misunderstand, its not the quality of the movements, even chinese clones like seagull are fine movements and cheap too, its the prices of the watches that are the issue IMO, there are plenty of really good well known brands like Tissot for example that use good movements and you can buy a new one for less than half the price of the example you have shown with a better movement

Rog..your banned !        :rofl:

Damn....pushed my luck again :partytime:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bruce said:

sorry but i think it looks awful, a watch should be easy to read ...that isnt

No, no, Bruce don't be coy, just speak your mind.  No need to keep the fence warm...

I must confess, i actually quite like it because it's so unusual.

I also think the hand sweep is quite clever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...