• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
WRENCH

Oris Divers Sixty Five.

I have a few Oris watches in my collection, and when I saw this one I had to have it. Until I tried it on. I love the look of it but when it was on my wrist it felt like fifty quids worth. Wonder what the psychology behind this is?

Anyone experienced similar?

Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-5.jpg

• Like 3

I know exactly what you mean.  I was going to get one, but when I tried it on in the AD it really didn't do it for me and I can't quite explain why.  There's definitely an issue around some watches looking better in photos than in reality and visa versa.  Also it might be something similar to going 'off' a watch you previously liked (something else I can't quite explain).

I think it's not confined to watches either...

Yup......got a Tissot that I liked enough to buy......but it is plain. Not worn much.:sadwalk:

Guest Bruce
34 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I have a few Oris watches in my collection, and when I saw this one I had to have it. Until I tried it on. I love the look of it but when it was on my wrist it felt like fifty quids worth. Wonder what the psychology behind this is?

Anyone experienced similar?

Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-5.jpg

looks very 70's diver to me

s-l300.jpg

I've experienced similar, but love my Sixty Five. Not keen on the vintage style rubber though and mine stays on nato. A strap can make quite a difference - worth a try?

3A29D613-5344-4D33-8429-FE4A2F7DEC9C_zpsp2vwjogi.jpg
  • Like 2

I remember feeling the same way about an Omega Planet Ocean a while back. In Goldsmiths but it felt like a cheap fake. And yet many people love them.

1 hour ago, Draygo said:

I've experienced similar, but love my Sixty Five. Not keen on the vintage style rubber though and mine stays on nato. A strap can make quite a difference - worth a try?

It's not the strap that makes a difference on yours IMHO, it's the hands.  Yours have got light coloured edges which make them look nice and chunky, whereas the other one has got black edges so you can only see the lume against the black dial, and it makes them look really skinny. A small difference, but it transforms the watch.  But I actually prefer the carbon look strap on the first one to a NATO  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It's not the strap that makes a difference on yours IMHO, it's the hands.  Yours have got light coloured edges which make them look nice and chunky, whereas the other one has got black edges so you can only see the lume against the black dial, and it makes them look really skinny. A small difference, but it transforms the watch.  But I actually prefer the carbon look strap on the first one to a NATO  :thumbsup:

I thinks that's just a reflection thing Davey - you know how a shiny surface can reflect black? Agree that they look thin in the OP pic, but they're the same hands...

1 hour ago, Draygo said:

I thinks that's just a reflection thing Davey - you know how a shiny surface can reflect black? Agree that they look thin in the OP pic, but they're the same hands...

In that case I stand corrected, but either way it's a nice looking watch and deserves one of these - :thumbsup: (but not with a NATO - sorry!)

• Like 2

I loved the Sixty Five when I first saw it, then went cool when I realised it was only 100m WR, then they released the bracelet version so I warmed to it again, and I'm still warm but not at full retail price. I'll catch a good used one eventually because I want to try it, but then I'm a sucker for a 'vintage' diver :)

I had a similar experience with the Tudor Black Bay – loved it in all the pics, but tried it on in Ernest Jones and thought it was a bit, Meh!. Then I thought I've got to try it again so found a good used one and after living with it for a year it's one of my favourites.

Trying a watch in a hot, brightly-lit shop with a security goon pacing the floor and a sales assistant who doesn't know Jack about the goods they're selling is never a good way to test drive a watch. Order online and take your time in the comfort of your own home :thumbsup:

Tried one on in BB the other day I too really liked it in pictures before trying it on, I didn't like the rubber strap at all it tapers towards the tips and felt feminine IMO, 

I do like the use of the domed lens and the blocked out indexes with the numeral within and the font choice is excellent and different and very 70's which is probably why we were all drawn to it initially, 

Surprised to hear this........

I also think they look lovely (in pics that is! never seen one in the flesh so to speak!)............I would have liked to have got one ...one day....Best to try one on my wrist before I get one I think!

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 16:51, Draygo said:

3A29D613-5344-4D33-8429-FE4A2F7DEC9C_zpsp2vwjogi.jpg

Look at that... you can put a nato on a watch and make it look good.IMHO..of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVFC said:

Look at that... you can put a nato on a watch and make it look good  totally ruin it.  IMHO..of course.

There you go, I've corrected that for you. No need to thank me, you're welcome mate :thumbsup:

:laugh:

• Like 3