• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RWP

The Cheap Seats

Well members do you consider there is a place for the cheap seats in watch collecting.  The odd 20 - 40    pound buy, Sekonda, Limit, Infantry and the like.

Are they disposable toys or do they merit collectors attention :)

Just a couple....

27584664542_a7d9cd710b_b.jpg

Sekonda One......39

26284939330_ff17a8f14e_b.jpg

Alienwork Auto.....40 something

25604817682_b1a1e4e119_b.jpg

Zeiger.......12 quid

And I have more:laugh:

Any place for Cheapies, or no place.  Be nice to have some pics.

Cheers

• Like 1

Not for me, I gave up on them pretty soon after I started collecting. 

However, I know other people find pleasure in them, so why not? 

• Like 1

If they are interesting then why not, far too much snobbery in  watches and one of the best things about this forum is that all watches are appreciated, i like the alienwork auto 

• Like 3

Depends entirely on what it is. Price doesn't have to dictate how nice a piece is. Can't complain about the seiko 5's for £50 :) And the same is just as true for expensive watches, doesn't necessarily mean they're nice or even that well made.

I'll freely admit though, that since getting more expensive watches, I find it harder to put on a cheap watch because  just think about the brilliant chunk of steel I could be wearing :( Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the cheap watches for what they are though.

Edited by hughlle
  • Like 4

Well I'm wearing a nicely made watch which is 30 years old, has been well used over that period, is running beautifully and it cost 50 pence.  Today. Perhaps as much as a tenner when it was new in the Next catalogue. Nice looking as it joined the vintage RLT watch parade today.  

So that makes any watch at 20 quid pricey!

Its the one sat next to my current vintage Omega, just as pretty in its own way. 

In fact until I glance at it, it feels just as smooth and cosy. On my wrist. 

PB110125_zpsgioxkfrx.jpg

• Like 3

I think it depends entirely on what sort of watches you like collecting, or even just trying out.  If you have an eclectic taste then I can recommend exploring the cheaper brands now and again as you'll likely find some surprisingly good quality watches at ridiculously low prices.  You'll also encounter some absolute junk but that's part of the fun and at least it wont have cost you very much!  I've owned everything from Timex to Rolex and Alpha to Omega and have always managed to find something enjoyable to discover at either end of the spectrum.

My current cheap favourite is the Julius quartz (Julius appears to be a real brand from South Korea) although what looks like exactly the same watch can be found under many other guises as I imagine they all come from the same factory in China.

julius-korea.jpg

julius-korea-2.jpg

Perhaps the biggest danger with exploring the cheap seats are the dubious brands that tout fake RRP's.  Some longer term members may recall the £500+ RRP "CV's" and "KB's" that would be offered online, in magazines, and out of the backs of cars in motorway service stations for, say, £50.  Avoid the likes of those and there are some nice watches and genuine bargains to be found.      

RRP for the Julius is £25, but it looks and feels like so much more. Yes, I know it looks like a Skagen, but that's a discussion for another thread; or maybe not as that's probably been done enough already.

And then there are the likes of Vostok, Raketa, Slava, Elektronika, Luch, Molnija and other brands from Russia, some of whom are still making watches today to complement the vintage Soviet Union models you can find in abundance on eBay going for a song.

I have one more cheapie to buy this evening (assuming I win an eBay auction) and then I think I need to pamper myself with some unashamed opulence.  I can only "rough it" for so long :laugh:

• Like 2

This is a tricky one. I suppose you could break it down into "good cheap" and "bad cheap"

I have a love of Vostok, Shanghai, Seagull, and Zhu Feng mechanical watches, all bought new for less than £40 each. So for me there is definitely a place in my collection for cheap watches. I also bought a Timex Waterbury for under £40, because I like it. So It's a taste thing really. As said the " gullible watches" are the ones to watch out for. Fancy names, huge rrp, and discount, equipped with the same movement as an Aldi special.

20151203287.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hughlle said:

Depends entirely on what it is. Price doesn't have to dictate how nice a piece is. Can't complain about the seiko 5's for £50 :) And the same is just as true for expensive watches, doesn't necessarily mean they're nice or even that well made.

I'll freely admit though, that since getting more expensive watches, I find it harder to put on a cheap watch because  just think about the brilliant chunk of steel I could be wearing :( Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the cheap watches for what they are though.

Couldn't have put it better myself...

I would, personally, split cheap watches into 2 categories:

- watches that are being sold cheap for various reasons (partially or entirely broken, vintages from not very known brands, people that don't know their value or want to get rid of them) but that are of good/acceptable/high quality. Usually I would say it's vintages, for me. All sorts of cool swiss manuals and autos that you can find for a few "tenners" as you guys say...

- watches that are being sold cheap because they are c**p

Needless to say, I guess you can figure out that I fully support and enjoy the first category of watches.

• Like 1

Tenner and just the job for mountain biking. 

15ydpb8.jpg

All I need is the bezel marker to time how long I've been out ;)

• Like 2

Cheap watches for work, more expensive in leisure time.

I don't find cheap watches as interesting but it is like that with any interests. If you are into Rally cars you are interested in Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution or Subaru Impreza turbo, not a ford focus tdi with 14" wheels. I am into particularly good watches so find ordinary watches kind of boring and little interesting about them.

• Like 1

Many thanks for this thread, Roger, because I have just posted a response on my topic about Watch Factory Inc. to Bruce and other forum members who, for some reason, seem to abhor inexpensive watch brands and fashion/designer watches. The fact that a couple of members put this view on my Watch Factory Inc. topic does slightly jarr and makes me a bit concerned. My intention is never to offend the sensibilities of forum members if I can possibly avoid it, but it is my FIRM and unwavering belief that the Watch Forum should be an open organisation where all types and varieties of watch can be appreciated and discussed. I have said that even I would like to increase the number of topics I write about more upmarket and horologically interesting watches and brands, and I have no doubt that I will do so. However, I would have to leave the Watch Forum if I was told to abandon all the cheaper and designer/fashion watches and their history. Apologies for sounding forceful here, but I am passionate about this, and feel that if we exclude a whole variety of watches - probably the vast majority produced - from discussion then there will be little left apart from a small rump of timepieces that, in themselves, do not constitute a proper history of watches.

Oh, by the way Rog, I also have that "The One" chronograph - essentially a Sekonda sub-brand, as you probably know.

:)

Edited by Always"watching"
  • Like 1

The OP was an open question, Honour. Is there a place for cheap watches or not? 

My response was honest. No, not in my collection. I don't happen to like or be remotely interested in cheap fashion watches, but that's not a crime, is it?

You are, and always have been, free to collect and comment on what you like. 

I am free to do the same.

• Like 1

I am fortunate enough to have a wide range of watches available to me. Bug some cheapies catch my eye.

I had two watches arrive on the same day. One was a JLC, and the other was this

DSC_0016_zpsqbjbmrpu.jpg

The case had lost most of the plating lacquer, so I gave the case a brushed finish with a scotchbright wheel. New crystal and a new salmon skin strap and I love it! No real quality but who cares!

I didn't pay much for it, but invested time and materials to get it right to wear and I'm glad I did. I wore it while the JLC stayed on the bench

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I am fortunate enough to have a wide range of watches available to me. Bug some cheapies catch my eye.

I had two watches arrive on the same day. One was a JLC, and the other was this

DSC_0016_zpsqbjbmrpu.jpg

The case had lost most of the plating lacquer, so I gave the case a brushed finish with a scotchbright wheel. New crystal and a new salmon skin strap and I love it! No real quality but who cares!

I didn't pay much for it, but invested time and materials to get it right to wear and I'm glad I did. I wore it while the JLC stayed on the bench

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

That is lovely, Scott.  Looks great on the salmon strap. However, I think that is different, being a vintage watch, from some of the cheaper and fashion brands that are available new.  I would wear that. I wouldn't wear a new...shhh, better not say.

• Like 2

There are 2 types of fashion brands. There's a HUGO BOSS with a crappy chinese quartz movement that appeals to SOME people out there (usually not watch enthusiasts) and they actually pay for the brand more than for the watch itself and then there's this Camel with a more than decent 12 jewels Miyota 3S10 movement that might actually cost less than the Hugo under various circumstances. It's true that the Camel is an older model but nonetheless, you get the idea, right ? :)

So, it's very important to differentiate these 2 distinct categories. And if we're talking about older, more or less vintage, cheap watches, you can get even more quality and performance for your pound since only certain brands and models retain or increase in value.

https://uhrforum.de/attachments/241096d1304243608-camel-trophy-adventure-watch-quarz-125-eur-camel_1.jpg

• Like 2

That's true.  I do have a couple of old watches, a  Mido Ocean Star, Enicar Ocean Pearl and Desta alarm that I picked up cheaply. All very good watches. Just not big names.

• Like 2

Roger ..what a great question.. when I passed my driving test a long time ago ... Back i n the days when you could still get insurance on a car that was not quite like getting a mortgage..I bought a Austin 1100. Cannary yellow gave you a headache in the morning driving it to work with the light bouncing off the bonnet.lol. It was not the car I wanted it was the only thing I could afford .I wanted a lotus Corrina and Jane Fonda in the passenger seat ...But £18 a week did not stretch to that..Are watches that much different..The first watch you ever bought was not a Rolex or a omega it was what you fancied and could afford ,or should I say that was what I did.. now I'm older but not that sure I'm wiser ,I do tend to buy better. If some one asked me what watch I think is value for money I'm not sure other members would agree with my choice but at the end of the day we buy watches because we like them ...you like Tissot.I like Seiko.Bond likes Rolex. what is cheap.. a Sekonda ..you have at least one ,I have one and do do many others  ...we all started somewhere ,I bought a seiko watch for £40 ....cheap.. I could have bought a fashion watch for £100 cheap as well by today's standards. If you love watches then what ever floats your stick it's on your wrist love it and wear it. I drove that awful car for 8 months before it blew up...you get what you pay for ...:laugh:

• Like 1

I have this strange affliction that causes me to buy cheap mechanical watches to see how bad they are. Working on a limit of £5 , here is my latest. Notice the two second hands. They are carefully synchronized to allow for the three second time delay between radio 4 FM and radio 4 digital hourly time pips.:wacko:

thumb?viewBox=622

It actually keeps good time, although the strap it came with was made out of "paper".

• Like 1

I enjoy buying cheap watches from ebay especially mechanical ones I like the risk involved thinking will it be a good or bad watch , will it keep time or run away with the fairies. In most cases they have been good especially the HMT's I have bought. 

Just bought a lovely Sekonda from the forum sales at the bargain price of £15 ...... Happy Days :thumbsup: 

• Like 2