• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
deano1956

new watch for my 60TH!

HI

sunday evening, been out today pending my birthday tomorrow, for months I have not have any incoming, but yesterday was special for the reasons below!!

you know when you dare not say something in case it does not come off, well this did , as with most of my big purchases of watches there is a back story! and this is no exception! bear with me here or skip to the pictures if you get bored.

recently i have had to replace my 8 year old mondeo the turbo died  replaced with a new- ish insignia, which took all my set aside/saved money and some finance, car purchased very happy, so set about setting money aside/saving again for a reasonable watch purchase after going cold turkey for months.

its at this point my 84 year old dad steps in and offers to buy the car for my birthday (June 27TH)!

the man still cuts my grass every Monday in summer as he has done for the last 25 years and i feed him a hot meal! the man is truly in better health than me!! his reasoning for this big gesture/offer is my sister and me will get his money one day so I might as well have it now! when i need it, (its actually my granddads money coming down)

although i would always take my dad being here over getting the money goes without saying and consider myself very lucky he is still here !. But after some discussion and big reluctance from me ,honest !, I gratefully accepted!

so with a unexpected inflow of funds with some extra! what would you do?

this is what i did , i bought myself a watch of course, but not just any watch!, the imagined unobtainable one, not only the ultimate ( not the 5 year old one i was aiming for)  but a brand new ultimate for me.

so here it is ,yes  it's still got the wrap on it because i am still savouring the moment! but i have worn it for a few hours around the house ( sad i know)

its a big deal for me to buy this watch so forgive me for being very proud and at the same time slightly embarrassed?  to own such a watch, however you view the brand/model .

It may be not the most popular rolex model but it is the one i desperately wanted.

thank you dad & granddad , and it will be a legacy for my sons.

IMG_20160626_180255%20Medium.jpg

IMG_20160626_180452%20Medium.jpg

1a5cab01-168c-4207-942d-9f9554b05a3a.jpg

IMG_20160626_181343%20Medium.jpg

IMG_20160626_180536%20Medium.jpg

IMG_20160626_181153%20Medium.jpg

IMG_20160626_181242%20Medium.jpg

fbfd5dfc-3748-47d3-a095-f50142636427.jpg

• Like 15

A happy birthday and congratulations on a wonderful watch and a great Dad. You must be tickled pink Deano :)

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

Wow. What I find it even more cool and valuable is the sentimental value that this watch has and will have.

While I'm sure that many of us like it, I think, the bottom line is that, given the story behind it, the "added value" of this watch severely outweighs its material value.

A really nice family you have there and may you and others after you wear it for a long long time since I'm sure it'll last for decades. :thumbsup: That's a beautiful memory both you and others will have there.

And, of course, happy birthday.

Edited by gimli
  • Like 2

A lovely lovely watch, and I will echo what @gimli has said, not only was this a grail watch for you anyway, but with your Fathers gesture added in this has made it one truly special watch for you :yes: I hope you get many years happiness from it and that you smile and remember your dad's kindness every time you wear it (which I'm guessing is going to be quite often :laugh:) :thumbsup: 

And just a suggestion but I noticed with mine I didn't get a cleaning cloth, :angry: , I don't know whether you did with yours, but if not Halfords do some good quality Genuine Chamois Leathers that when cut up make excellent cleaning cloths/ covers for when in the box :yes: 

Nearly forgot with all the excitement with the watch to say :happybday:

Edited by graham1981
  • Like 2

A very special watch & all the more so with the circumstances and it being thanks to your dad. It will always be treasured by yourself and family for now and in the future. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

thank you for all your kind thoughts guys as of now, I though it was worth the story and not just I bought a watch for my birthday.

oh and as I type listening/watching to ELO at Glastonbury on tv, to end a perfect day :thumbsup:

deano 

ps no cleaning cloth so thanks for heads up graham

• Like 2

Well done on present and happy birthday. I love that watch it ticks all the right boxes for me too. So now I am even happier than you are the proud owner of one.

Wear it pride dear boy:notworthy:

Edited by Craftycockney
  • Like 1

Congrats on the incoming something special with sentimental value :thumbsup: happy birthday buddy and enjoy the watch  

• Like 1

Is the cake insured ? :laugh: How much does it go per "whatever is your standard measuring unit for liquid over there" ?

• Like 1

Happy Birthday.......Lovely looking watch.

With its "story".........its priceless too! 

Wear it with pride and enjoy it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gimli said:

Is the cake insured ? :laugh: How much does it go per "whatever is your standard measuring unit for liquid over there" ?

it goes well especially on a litre of this:laugh:

IMG_20160626_202113%20Medium.jpg

deano

Fantastic, Dean! Disappointed it's not a Cartier...

...only kidding!

• Like 1

Southern Comfort ? That sounds like a good name for "intimate area" ointment or a brothel... :whistling:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gimli said:

Southern Comfort ? That sounds like a good name for "intimate area" ointment or a brothel... :whistling:

Or just a description of Britain?

• Like 1

What can be added .. it's all been said. So .  Well done you..Well done dad.. hope he does your grass for another 25. Sweet watch. 

• Like 1