• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
ABaird3

In a pinch...

I don't like bracelet watches, as when I tried one one when I was wee, the links pinched and tugged on my hairs. It was really uncomfortable and I didn't like it one bit, yes I'm a woos. This is why I've never had one since.

Is this still a thing, or are they better designed/made these days? Or are they still little pluckers? This was a cheapo bracelet in about the mid 80's.

Well as someone with fairly hairy arms I have had a few issues myself but some are fine and others problematic.

The worst kind are the elasticated metal type...they expand and when they close up can pinch or pull hairs.

A decent quality bracelet shouldn't cause such issues...

I was completely put off bracelets by a Citizen eco drive (that i still have) given to me a few years ago, I changed that one to a leather strap and convinced they werent for me

I bought my first proper watch (Oris) and insisted on anything but a metal bracelet, the salesman said that it was likely to be a cheap bracelet on the eco drive and I should try a different one

Now all my watches are on bracelets, it only takes one bad one to put you off them but on the better quality watches they are fine

That sounds reassuring. Thinking back, it may have been a stretch bracelet.

Avoiding bracelet's can be somewhat limiting though, which is why I wondered if they're better now.

They're a lot better than they use to be. I have a Steinhart Ocean One on a bracelet, an Invicta and an engineers bracelet that I swap over on a couple of divers and non pinch or pull hairs like in the "old days":yes:

I prefer a bracelet. Different brands and different prices of watches do have less inclination to pinch hairs.

One of the worst offenders I find are Jubilee types. Oyster types are much more comfy. Shaved wrist hairs help too ! :laugh:

Yep..I would say 90% of my watches are on bracelet. I don't have a problem and have hair where they sit.:thumbsup:

No problems with either.......maybe just don't have bracelets too tight ? :thumbsup:

Is there such a thing as too tight? You wouldn't want it slipping around the wrist, or onto the hand? That would get in the way of the 'ahem' special handshake.

• Like 1

• 1 hour ago, ABaird3 said:
    • Is there such a thing as too tight? You wouldn't want it slipping around the wrist, or onto the hand? That would get in the way of the 'ahem' special handshake.
  • I wear bracelets a little loose ( get a finger under them rule) and the just push them up a tad.  No hair pulling, no stretch, no slipping 

If you werent a million and one miles away I would have offered to meet and you could have tried on half a dozen bracelet watches of various values to see how you got on

8 hours ago, Montybaber said:

If you werent a million and one miles away I would have offered to meet and you could have tried on half a dozen bracelet watches of various values to see how you got on

Thanks, the sentiment is still there though. :)