• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watches or Cars.....which is cheaper ?

RWP

Today watches are a positive economy...............just having had one rebuilt for 40 plus squids.

My Hyundai on the other hand.......11000 miles.......front brake linings, pollen filter, A/C service and general service......over 500.   They did send me a nice Video report :sadwalk:

Thats my auto Victorinox on hold again.   Watches all the way :partytime:

Cheers

• Like 2

Watches are way cheaper.

They don't require insurance and are cheaper to service.. they depreciate less (and there's a bigger chance they might actually go up as well as down) and they don't get flat tires.

Spending money on cars is like setting fire to it generally....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

You need to adjust your driving habits.:) My old Hy-lux 96000 miles, still on original brakes all round.

You must live in the flatlands.  We go through front brakes about every 6 months and rears about every 15 months. 

I found this on YouTube,  the road varies between 17% & 21%,  I have to drive it regularly. 

• Like 1

I don't drive fast enough to wear out brakes. Plus my Hi- lux has the "Aberdeen Overdrive" option .:laugh:

8 minutes ago, Jdp said:

You must live in the flatlands.  We go through front brakes about every 6 months and rears about every 15 months. 

I found this on YouTube,  the road varies between 17% & 21%,  I have to drive it regularly. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I'd have to say watches are cheaper than cars. A few weeks ago I spent £209 on a Bulova Sea King, but this afternoon I spent £5000 on a VW Beetle - And I only went out to pick up some Dulux paint.... :laugh:

Lucky Davey in a Beatle.....PICS:partytime:

23 minutes ago, Jdp said:

96000 and original anything is good going :thumbsup:.   Town driving does it, I could have left them, but followed the dealers advice on breaks.

55 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Watches are way cheaper.

They don't require insurance and are cheaper to service.. they depreciate less (and there's a bigger chance they might actually go up as well as down) and they don't get flat tires.

Spending money on cars is like setting fire to it generally....

not so sure about that Davey ?. my watches are insured ( esp the new rolex!) and all valuable watches should have their own listing/ insurance over and above the household  and my breitling is at service/referb  for £500+ as we speak!!, and a service on the insignia is less than that, true car require service every year and watch every 5 but its a point on costs.

deano

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I don't drive fast enough to wear out brakes. Plus my Hi- lux has the "Aberdeen Overdrive" option .:laugh:

You don't have much choice here.  Driving slow uses brakes,  and gears if it's a manual transmission.  BUT,  I'd have to say watches are cheaper.  So far I have spent only about $800 on watches since December,  my car payment alone is over $400 a month. that might not be true if I had a collection of patek,  Rolex,  or Breitling.  Then again,  if i did,  my car payments might be higher as well. 

Edited by Jdp
Because my phone hates me, still

13 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

not so sure about that Davey ?. my watches are insured ( esp the new rolex!) and all valuable watches should have their own listing/ insurance over and above the household  and my breitling is at service/referb  for £500+ as we speak!!, and a service on the insignia is less than that, true car require service every year and watch every 5 but its a point on costs.

deano

Deano its personal preference if you wish to insure... it is not a legal obligation and you can cover this insurance yourself with a large fireproof safe and a host of weaponry which I actually believe is the cost effective option long term since insurance can be very expensive.

As for servicing that's pretty cheap (about £50 max in most cases if you are friendly with an independent watchmaker) its only expensive if you need a case refurbished, and then it is eye watering... such as that £500 you speak of.  I need to have one done (My AP) and know it will hurt, after that I don't intend on refurbing any cases again... I am just going to take very good care of them and only relarly wear the ones that I can refurbish myself.  (matte finish or gloss finish ones... not mixed) 

You don't put fuel in your watch every week I hope...

5 minutes ago, Jdp said:

You don't have much choice here.  Driving slow uses brakes,  and gears if it's a manual transmission.  BUT,  I'd have to say watches are cheaper.  So far I have spent only about $800 on watches since December,  my car payment alone is over $400 a month. that might not be true if I had a collection of patek,  Rolex,  or Breitling.  Then again,  if i did,  my car payments might be higher as well. 

You could ditch the car, buy a bicycle and buy a Patek with the money save off the car payments.:yes:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nobbythesheep said:

Watches are way cheaper, but cars are more fun, especially with three wheels and a big block guzzi twin up-front!

A Guzzi twin is quicker and easier to service than a watch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Deano its personal preference if you wish to insure... it is not a legal obligation and you can cover this insurance yourself with a large fireproof safe and a host of weaponry which I actually believe is the cost effective option long term since insurance can be very expensive.

As for servicing that's pretty cheap (about £50 max in most cases if you are friendly with an independent watchmaker) its only expensive if you need a case refurbished, and then it is eye watering... such as that £500 you speak of.  I need to have one done (My AP) and know it will hurt, after that I don't intend on refurbing any cases again... I am just going to take very good care of them and only relarly wear the ones that I can refurbish myself.  (matte finish or gloss finish ones... not mixed) 

You don't put fuel in your watch every week I hope...

hey davey

I have both safe and insurance true while not a legal requirement being in the business ( not sales !) for me its a necessity seeing people lose everything and not having adequate insurance .

like watches you can service car yourself very cheaply ,

yes I am feeling the pain  of caring for valuable watches but I did volunteer :laugh: and wish you well with the AP!

no don't fuel every week  :) in fact probably once a month, working from home I only use it for social trips . thinking about it I probably use more electric (which costs) in my watch winder keeping my watches wound than fuel!:wacko:

deano

• Like 1

I spend over £1000 on petrol just going to work and back.

Petrol for outside work many hundreds a year.

Tyres, always getting flats where I am in rural Wales.

Mirrors getting smashed on B roads unfit for use.

MOT / servicing.

Garage fees / parts.

TAX £200 a year on a 1.4 ( ridiculous )

I could have a new Rolex every single year of my life if I did not have a car and I worked from home or walking distance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RWP said:

Today watches are a positive economy...............just having had one rebuilt for 40 plus squids.

My Hyundai on the other hand.......11000 miles.......front brake linings, pollen filter, A/C service and general service......over 500.   They did send me a nice Video report :sadwalk:

Thats my auto Victorinox on hold again.   Watches all the way :partytime:

Cheers

However you Hyundia has a "free" clock!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Depends on the car and depends on the watch. 

Have you seen the current prices of old air cooled 911's and vintage Rolex. 

Step up a league and have a look at old Ferraris and PP's

:biggrin:

Have you checked the current prices of these,

Lada_2107_aka_Lada_Riva_October_1995_145

And these?

russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tan

• Like 1

They are both cheap, buy the right watch, make sure it ain't new and you will get your money back on re-sale, buy the right car Japanese of course especially if its a top of the range job which cost the first owner 50 grand. Buy it for less than a grand, enjoy utter reliability and flog it for what you paid when you get bored. Don't bother with servicing, just the odd oil change at 60 quid a throw and tyres when it needs it. :)

• Like 1

Ha Lada Riva

My last ex wife was a proper Daily Wail reading snob and judged a car by the date of the registration plate, didn't like all the old cars I used to buy. 

I told her I'd get a new car, so I bought a Lada Riva with a nice shiny that year number plate. 

She never spoke to me for weeks, almost longer than when I turned up with a pink Cadillac one day. 

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM