• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
kanab22

RLT 77 Review

This is my first watch review on the forum, so please go easy on me.

I got this watch as a 50th birthday present from my wife and my Dad and I consider myself very fortunate as only 10 were available at the time. Not sure if Roy has made any since. 

27776309340_1e411b1652_b.jpg

Official specs taken from Roy's post on the forum:

40mm (Excluding Screw down crown) All steel case, approx 11mm thick.

200m Water Resistant. Sapphire crystal.

NOS 25 Jewel Swiss Automatic ETA 2878/9 Movement.

3mm Thick Leather calf strap.

That's a pretty high spec and combined with the exclusivity factor of an RLT makes it good value at £206 inc postage. 

As a few others have said, the watch does appear a little small at first. It is genuinely 40mm though so I think it is a sort of optical illusion perhaps due to the bezel making the dial appear small. It's quite similar in size to a vintage divers watch I used to have which I really liked.

28056983815_28683102c9_b.jpg

Another thing I noticed straightaway is that the case says it's only water resistant to 100m not 200m as per the original spec. A little digging on the forum came up with this explanation from Roy, "This case has been diver certified and tested to a depth of 330ft but they have been pressure tested equal to 200m in depth."

27443038633_18a10c53de_b.jpg

I recently road tested it on holiday and wore it for 9 days straight, only taking it off occasionally. 

The build quality would appear to be very high. The bezel is uni-directional, ratcheted and has a lovely feel and sound to it when spinning it round. The strap is very stiff to begin with but after about 2 days wear it loosens off nicely. The case is flawless, the back well engraved and the silver logo on the dial works really well.

28056957635_93ce27680e_b.jpg

Time keeping was a little disappointing as it gained 12-15 secs per day during my holiday. I generally like to be within 30 secs or so of the correct time so I ended up setting it 3 times over the 9 day period. I think it was starting to become more accurate towards the end. Not sure if movements take time to "settle down" or not. Setting it is easy enough though as the second hand hacks if you keep hold of the crown. The minute hand lines up fairly accurately with the markers, perhaps out by about 5 secs between 1 and 5 on the dial.

The lume is good but I find it a bit of a struggle to read the dial in the dark due to the lumed part of the hands being close to the glowing numbers on the dial. I find it a little tricky to distinguish between the minute and hour hands. That's absolutely no criticism, it's just one of the foibles of this particular design.

It proved to be a very comfortable watch to wear. The size is pretty much ideal for my puny wrists and it has really, really grown on me.

28022840926_be453957a8_b.jpg

All watches have tiny idiosyncrasies and this one is no different but just like people we love them anyway. This watch will always be special to me. 

If this was an Amazon review I would have no hesitation in giving it 5 stars. This being a more discerning audience I will give it 4.5 only because I expected it would keep slightly better time. 

• Like 3

Great review, happy for you to send it me for finer regulation if you wish.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roy said:

Great review, happy for you to send it me for finer regulation if you wish.

Thanks, Roy. I'll see how it goes the next time I wear it. It's easy to set so no big problem. 

• Like 1