• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Valjoux 234 stopwatch sticking

zharko

I have a Certina DS2 Chronolympic with a Valjoux 234 movement. The watch functions well, keeping time to within a few seconds a day. But the chronometer stops after a few minutes (different amount each time) and this then stops the whole watch.  So if I go to time something that will roughly take five minutes I look at the watch and the whole thing has ground to a halt after 1 or 2  

Can anyone tell me if solving this would necessitate a complete service or is there a known solution that might be cheaper?

Thank you. 

Ben

Lol that's the first time I've been brought up for NOT asking stupid questions (smile).  My horological life has been problem free recently, happy to say. I have mostly 18thC pocket watches for a hobby but this Certina is my everyday watch. 

Will try to post a vid of the offending chronograph function. 

Thanks for for any advice. 

Here is a short video of the chronograph stopping after less than a minute. After experimenting I find that the chronograph performs ok after a full manual wind, running for as long as you like, but then if you try it several hours later, even if the watch has been worn, it stops after a few minutes. 

Guest Bruce
4 minutes ago, zharko said:

Here is a short video of the chronograph stopping after less than a minute. After experimenting I find that the chronograph performs ok after a full manual wind, running for as long as you like, but then if you try it several hours later, even if the watch has been worn, it stops after a few minutes. 

probably needs a service.........nice watch :yes: