• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Speedy, Blackbay or Superocean Heritage?

Nige, how big is your wrist?

i found the BB wears bigger than you would think due to its depth. It felt bigger than a speedy.

i have also had a Tudor sub which really was lovely.

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

Just to keep you up to date, on reflection this afternoon sat on the grass, looking at the sea in a Penmaenmawr graveyard. I've changed my mind I'm going to get a speedy reduced. They are 38mm aren't they? 

(just in case anyone is interested in developments)

Have you made your mind up until you change it again . Stop messing around you know you want a Rolex now dont you . Don't waste your hard earned on something you don't really want. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Neillp said:

Nige, how big is your wrist?

i found the BB wears bigger than you would think due to its depth. It felt bigger than a speedy.

i have also had a Tudor sub which really was lovely.

6 inch so i'm thinking speedy reduced at 38mm

11 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

Have you made your mind up until you change it again . Stop messing around you know you want a Rolex now dont you . Don't waste your hard earned on something you don't really want. 

I often think I'm bigger than I am hence that house brick I swapped you, it looked like it would fit me:teethsmile:

• Like 1

6". Are you sure? Actually get a tape measure, one of the old school fabric ones and measure your left wrist. I say that as I am a skinny wretch, well I used to be and my wrist is over 7" and I am no Charles Atlas I assure you. I think you may be underestimating. 

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1

At 6 inch i think you are right to not go for a BB but the new 36mm version would be lovely or the Tudor sub as it wears quite small.

remember take your time as most of the fun is in the hunt :) 

• Like 1

I recently tried on the Black Bay and the Brightling Superocean.  Both great watches but in the end I had to go for the Planet Ocean  (I know it's not in your list). Loved the BB apart from the snowflake hand. There's a new Black Bay Black coming out (or might be already out) which does look great. Can't help here but which every you go for you'll love it:thumbs_up:

• Like 1

Maybe everyone should own a Speedie at some point but they are common as owt, exist in multiple variations and manual winding means it would get less wear with me. 

I've slim wrists too so as a daily wearer I'd suggest:

Modern - the new 36mm BB or an Explorer if you need to scratch that Rolex itch. 

Old -  a Tudor sub, 79190, before they hit the £3k mark. 

Thread closed. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2016 at 20:51, Padders said:

6". Are you sure? Actually get a tape measure, one of the old school fabric ones and measure your left wrist. I say that as I am a skinny wretch, well I used to be and my wrist is over 7" and I am no Charles Atlas I assure you. I think you may be underestimating. 

I could be, I haven't got a fabric one but I've got this old plastic one and when I line it up to the zero it only comes round to about 6 even when loose. I guess you could say 6.5 for a nice comfortable fit on a strap. 

29007958136_43cd2681e0_k.jpg

This is how a 37mm watch wears on me

28337965663_2accef7500_k.jpg

Edited by Nigelp

On 15/08/2016 at 21:07, Montybaber said:

6" you say, may i suggest 

28975078896_bb37dbd80f_b.jpg

:) 

:teethsmile: I tend to go for a max of 38mm 40mm I can do but they do feel a bit clunky. My Grandma always said I come of nobility and I'm not a cart horse:laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deepreddave said:

Maybe everyone should own a Speedie at some point but they are common as owt, exist in multiple variations and manual winding means it would get less wear with me. 

I've slim wrists too so as a daily wearer I'd suggest:

Modern - the new 36mm BB or an Explorer if you need to scratch that Rolex itch. 

Old -  a Tudor sub, 79190, before they hit the £3k mark. 

Thread closed. 

I think you are right about the speedie, however hard I try I can't imagine myself in a Rolex before I get over 50 and I really want something post 1990. At the mo the speedie reduced is winning hands down, all this is obviously personal to me to I'm not suggesting any one else will think the same as me. But I just know when I look at the speedie it as the 'icon' of my eye, the others will just be watches and I'll get bored. 

26 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

I could be, I haven't got a fabric one but I've got this old plastic one and when I line it up to the zero it only comes round to about 6 even when loose. I guess you could say 6.5 for a nice comfortable fit on a strap. 

I guess you are right! 6.5in for comfort. In which case you may also be right to avoid anything over 39-40mm. My own max is 42mm and even the LLD was too big for my 7.25" wrist due to the long lugs, I should imagine the SM300 are the same, i.e. to damn long. One other Omega suggestion, not a million miles off the Speedy Reduced and using a similar modular movement is the dynamic chrono, also pretty nice at arround 38mm:

IMG_4939_zpsjcmfyayy.jpg

Edited by Padders
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Padders said:

I guess you are right! 6.5in for comfort. In which case you may also be right to avoid anything over 39-40mm. My own max is 42mm and even the LLD was too big for my 7.25" wrist due to the long lugs, I should imagine the SM300 are the same, i.e. to damn long. One other Omega suggestion, not a million miles off the Speedy Reduced and using a similar modular movement is the dynamic chrono, also pretty nice at arround 38mm:

IMG_4939_zpsjcmfyayy.jpg

Nice but I've never been a lover of the design of the numbers on that version of the dynamic. The only other possibility I'm mulling over now is a Tudor Sub because of some of the suggestions above, so its been a really useful thread for me so far. 

Why post 1990?

Quick tempting Tudor sub shot on a slim flat 6.75“ wrist... Below my wrist is the abyss into which all other watches will fall ;) 

IMG_20160817_132207_zpswznknm0g.jpg

Edited by deepreddave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Nice but I've never been a lover of the design of the numbers on that version of the dynamic. The only other possibility I'm mulling over now is a Tudor Sub because of some of the suggestions above, so its been a really useful thread for me so far. 

Its not actually my favourite design either, I much prefer the 3 hander but I mentioned it since it shares a lot of DNA and size with the Speedy Reduced. With respect to the Tudor Sub, a very nice well crafted design for sure, I can't help but feel that in some respects it could be considered an in house homage to it's own Rolex cousin. Presumably it is a Sub case and bezel with ETA movement and a dial differentiated enough to not obviously tread on it's source's feet. I mean how different in essence is that really to what Steinhart and countless others produce (and are regularly crucified for on here by Bond)?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Padders said:

Its not actually my favourite design either, I much prefer the 3 hander but I mentioned it since it shares a lot of DNA and size with the Speedy Reduced. With respect to the Tudor Sub, a very nice well crafted design for sure, I can't help but feel that in some respects it could be considered an in house homage to it's own Rolex cousin. Presumably it is a Sub case and bezel with ETA movement and a dial differentiated enough to not obviously tread on it's source's feet. I mean how different in essence is that really to what Steinhart and countless others produce (and are regularly crucified for on here by Bond)?

fair point and to be honest I've only paid passing interest in the Tudor, I'm pretty much certain its going to be the Speedie. I had considered an Aqua Terra to and there is a lovely one or was (haven't looked today) on the other side. But I just know in my heart if I get one I will wish I'd bought a speedie. Predictable I know. 

Edited by Nigelp

27 minutes ago, Padders said:

With respect to the Tudor Sub, a very nice well crafted design for sure, I can't help but feel that in some respects it could be considered an in house homage to it's own Rolex cousin. Presumably it is a Sub case and bezel with ETA movement and a dial differentiated enough to not obviously tread on it's source's feet. I mean how different in essence is that really to what Steinhart and countless others produce (and are regularly crucified for on here by Bond)?

Whilst there may be a grain of truth in that:

15519369317_2ba20427df_b_zpsouuyv1vy.jpg

• Like 3

You took that rather well. I did realise I was being rather tactless since your picture shows a very appealing piece and I would love one in my collection regardless of design origins. Sometimes I do post stream of consciousness stuff which may be better unsaid!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Padders said:

You took that rather well. I did realise I was being rather tactless since your picture shows a very appealing piece and I would love one in my collection regardless of design origins. Sometimes I do post stream of consciousness stuff which may be better unsaid!

I thought you'd made a good point though I know little about such things your logic seemed sensible. Though putting my own probably nonsense to it, the Tudor Sub appeals because its sort of posh looks like a Rolex but isn't. A bit similar to badge engineering. I was always a Jag man and never wanted the posher badge Daimlers. I know I'm probably spouting rubbish seeing as in the case of the watch the 'engine' is different too. A better analogy might be Rollers and Bentleys. I think the latter used BM engines in the later years in the Arnage and Rollers stuck with the proper Rolls engine in the Seraph. Though I still liked the Bentley better. Nope I'm making no sense I am?:laugh: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Padders said:

That adds to it's appeal to me, it has the clarity of design of a Rolex but an unassuming image/presence at a more affordable price. Oh and the blue is the clincher. Black is so meh ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, badgersdad said:
5 hours ago, mitadoc said:

Tudor-Black-Bay-36-Baselworld-2016-2.jpg

Black Bay 36

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Yes.

You already have a zex which looks as good. Oh hang on :huh:

If you are considering a small chronograph there is the Ollech&Wajs Toledo which I think is about 40mm and also has something of a vintage appearance while being a modern built watch.  There are also a number of Sinn watches that fall under 2k.  At the price point of the Tudor I think the Omega Seamaster is the better watch.  Another alternative is to go vintage you can find a decent chronograph for under 1k. 

• Like 1