• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Speedy, Blackbay or Superocean Heritage?

Somet else entered the equation I've just realised the same budget gets one of these. :rolleyes:

DSC01663_zpsb59b0865.jpg~original

• Like 3

so that means I can get a proper grown up watch, so now what?

Edited by Nigelp

Errr that's a Rolex which several pages back you ruled out for ageist reasons.  Are you ready for a grown up's watch? Surely the Forum should vote on this. 

Edited by deepreddave
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, deepreddave said:

Errr that's a Rolex which several pages back you ruled out for ageist reasons.  Are you ready for a grown up's watch? Surely the Forum should vote on this. 

Yes this has me a little perplexed too Nige. Either you think Rolex are for fat cigar smoking golfists, as you hinted earlier, or you don't. You can't say you hate them then ponder an Air-King. That is just fickle. Wait. Hang on, I just realised who I am addressing, The Dilettante Kid who never knowingly keeps a piece for more than a month and reserves the right to change his mind when the wind changes! :laugh: :wink:

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Damo516 said:

Congrats @Nigelp on your 50th birthday :thumbs_up:

:teethsmile: I know I'd have to have nicotine stained fingers and a sheepskin coat and crinoline pants and brown tie before I could wear that. So it was a bit tongue in cheek. 

Any way just to conclude and prove how inconsistent I am I've totally disregarded everything I've said about style and size and gone for something at 42mm with long (elegantly long - though often trouble some lugs) and ordered one of these from Iconic. Should be here in the next 3 weeks. Came in at a similar price to a Speedy reduced so about £1,200 quid delived. With the sail cloth strap. 

https://www.longines.com/#!/watches/heritage-collection/l3-674-4-50-0

Its been an old favourite back to when I had my new Hydroconquest 42mm automatic. That cost about 800 quid and at the time I really wanted the LD on sail cloth, but couldn't stretch to it. 

On top of that if I'm honest with myself I've never got over my HC in many ways its been my favourite watch to date, as good as any of my more expensive Omegas, So I've a soft spot for Longines as the HC was my first proper watch. 

I suddenly realised however hard I tried I wasn't being that stirred by the BB, Breitling and the more I looked at the Speedy the less excited I got. 

So I usually find a good way to settle a choice is to browse the stock at watchfinder and just see the options all side by side at random and see which ones jump out and get me all excited and all that (no tittering at the back).

So I was doing this last evening and a few surprises were jumping out at me including the Tag Carrera and Monaco, To be honest the LD had gone out of my mind, but then one cropped up at £1,300 used (not a bargain I know, I've got one slightly cheaper new as is usual with iconic - WF are central London prices - after all) and it made me stop in my tracks.

I found my interest return after trudging through loads of Speedys and to be honest rightly or wrongly getting bored, It took me back a couple of years and refreshed my eyes to what I really liked. 

So I've bought an LD, love its size even though its probably big on me I have to admit one of the reasons I liked my HC was for its 42mm, love the relative value for money in getting a brand new watch for around the same price as a used one which may or may not be serviced etc and could give trouble like anything second hand and just preferred the looks and style to anything else up to 2 grand. 

Also I get to use the cool words 'sail cloth' and 'LD' in the wruw threads.

Most of all I'm looking forward to being back with a brand new Longines. The brand which for me started off this all crazy journey:teethsmile:

435ebf10912b099efb1399f64e190087.jpg

Oh and I just love the back. Yep I know no one will ever see it, but isn't it for reasons like this which separates us odd lot from 'ordinary' people? Thanks to all for the help, I know I've ignored it all. :rolleyes:

L36748500-back.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations, I tried one on a few years ago and was really impressed, the internal bezel is very interesting and it is a comfortable watch and has serious wrist presence

There is a reason some watches hold their value 

• Like 1

Well I was the one to advise against this because of the long lugs but I have to say while I owned mine I absolutely adored it: I just didn't wear is all that often. When I did though, people would ask me about it since it looks so different to more modern blingy stuff. It is rather a pity you didn't decide on this a couple of months ago when I sold mine!

Happy Birthday Nige. Enjoy the day and your new Toy!!!! Ah just realised that the 50th birthday gag was in respect to your alleged liking for Rolex. D'oh!!

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps yes it is a looker very classical and understated really despite the size and has a slight darkness of character which I like, there is something beguiling and carefree about the simplicity of the sail cloth strap which I like, 'its sort of dressed down smart'.

Oh I'd better correct one small misunderstanding I think, Its not my Birthday, that will be the 17th of December when I'll be the grand old age of 44, which I can't believe. I'm supposed to be grown up by 44!:teethsmile:

Oh just one thing to consider Re the LLD. From my experience, the watch head is very robust and since it is mostly polished can be made perfect with a swish of Cape Cod but the sailcloth strap is very fragile and will fray at the edges very quickly. If I had mine over again and wanted to keep it perfect, I would immediately change the strap for something either hardier or so cheap as to be considered sacrificial and keep the original in the box. OEM Replacements are available but at around £80 if memory serves 

One final thing to ponder, do not under any circumstance risk cracking or chipping the sapphire crystal. The replacement cost is horrific, I won't say as it will put you off your cornflakes but if anyone fancies a laugh, look up the crystal cost at Cousins. Hmm looks like it has gone restricted but the last price I saw was scary!

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1

Never bought from Iconic before, but I believe they are good, my order is currently 'sourcing' it seems it will take 1 to 3 weeks so they must place the order with their suppliers when you place your order, which must be why you get the same watch for approximately £200 less than else where. I think its nigh on £1,400 at Goldsmiths for example. 

If you want to keep the Longines strap for 'best' you can source nice sailcloth straps from Bradystraps.com

Its a bit like keeping the polythene on your sofa for the next owner :) 

3 hours ago, Padders said:

It is rather a pity you didn't decide on this a couple of months ago when I sold mine!

No it's not!!

• Like 1

Just now, Padders said:

Hahahahahah. Good point!!!!!

If anyone could suggest a good replacement sail cloth I'd be interested, else it's going on a HR Cordura, or maybe even the Strapcode Cordura that someone posted on here yesterday.

DSC03889_zpsjaa80twy.jpg

The only decent sailcloth straps I have found online are sold in the USA.  There are plenty of other straps to consider though as you are hardly going diving with it, what about a padded canvas strap?

The LLD is a great watch for the money, that along with the new Oris diver are great remakes of classic watches.

15 minutes ago, Krispy said:

If anyone could suggest a good replacement sail cloth I'd be interested, else it's going on a HR Cordura, or maybe even the Strapcode Cordura that someone posted on here yesterday.

DSC03889_zpsjaa80twy.jpg

Bradystraps.com

:sign_wtf:

I is not surprised. Great make and lovely looking watch so congrats. I miss the Conquest Heritage I had for a while and suspect I'll pick up another at some point as it was just lovely in an olde worlde type gone by kind of way.

On 8/14/2016 at 14:56, badgersdad said:

Have you seen these? Black bay 36mm. I think that's rather classy.

Tudor-BlackBay-36mm1.jpg

Unfortunately, I saw it in flesh yesterday... Such a disappointment. I assume the shiny polished bezel put me off.

Cheers