• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I agree with greasemonk regarding the electronic ignition.  Points may be OK for a "purist" but they needed constant fettling to keep them on song.  You'll also need a set of vacuum gauges to keep the carbs balanced:-

Vac%20gauges_zpsfeaix396.jpg

and a timing light .......................

No time left for watches!

Enjoy:notworthy:

Mike

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I had been thinking about buying a classic British convertible for the last 3-4 years but the time was never right: kids still with us, several house moves, change of career for my wife et

I did sort out all the problems back in September....mainly by buying an SU carb service kit and spending several hours checking them out on the bench and the same number of hours balancing them on th

I had plans to get one then Watches got in the way, would have been cheaper to get the MG. If fettled correctly they are reliable talking MG's not Watches.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have had quite a few MGB's both GT and roadsters liked them all. I used to restore them as a hobby the common faults I found were a clonking diff and a none working overdrive. The diff is fixable insitu if you are lucky by changing the thrust washers I never managed to fix the overdrive unless it was an electrical fault from the engine side. Rot was a major problem I replaced many pairs of sills which is doable if you can weld yourself otherwise they are expensive to replace. All parts are available either new or second hand.

I have a 1972 MGB GT which also requires a bit of, ahem, fettling and fine tuning as can be seen below.....

large.P1040618.JPG

If fuel pump and pipes are found to be ok, then poor running could be due to dirt in the float chambers of the carbs or old petrol gumming up the needles. MGs are well supported by Moss (the ones that do not do suits!) and other suppliers so you will have no problem with parts or finding help/advice on the internet. Whilst i finish the final polishing of my MG, I have this as my other set of wheels...

large.IMG_0354.JPG 

Hope you enjoy your classic drive as much as i do mine.

• Like 1

I did sort out all the problems back in September....mainly by buying an SU carb service kit and spending several hours checking them out on the bench and the same number of hours balancing them on the car.  No more hot starting problems....just lots of fun:

At the Haynes International Motor Museum at beginning of December for their monthly Breakfast Club:

Pete-and-I-at-Haynes-Breakfast-Club-20161204-1.jpg

At just a few days ago, Christmas Day spin with my son's girlfriend:

MGB-spin-with-Ellen-on-Xmas-Day-2016.jpg

Plus I'm registered for the Sturminster Newton New Year's Day Classic Car Run tomorrow....but weather forecast is sh*te, so might have to give that a miss.

• Like 3