• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
rhaythorne

10 Topics Per Day Limitation...

...without signing in?

A dreadful idea in my opinion.  I only want to sign-in when I want to post something, not when I'm just browsing to read what others are talking about.  I wonder how many other members do the same?

not-funny.JPG

Get rid of it please.

• Like 1

I have to agree. I almost always go elsewhere when a website starts putting restrictions like that in place, e.g the Financial Times. I will NEVER sign up to a website just to be allowed to view things because there will always be an unrestricted alternative. Often if I'm on a new forum, I'll have to go through more than 10 threads just to find one that has the answer I'm looking for, because search functions never tend to get you what you're actually after (often due to people tag spamming), and you end up just going from one thread to the next before you find what you need.

• Like 1

It was put in place to encourage guests to join the forum. I never thought that registered members would browse without logging in, I always login :(

• Like 5

I almost never login.  I've just installed the Tor Browser to view your (Roy's) reply and continue to browse the forum unhindered :laugh:

This isn't a "private" forum and as hughlle says, I generally just go elsewhere when sites put restrictions like this in my way.  I genuinely find it a deterrent rather than an encouragement.

Edited by rhaythorne

21 minutes ago, Roy said:

It was put in place to encourage guests to join the forum. I never thought that registered members would browse without logging in, I always login :(

I'm usually in the other camp, but on a site like this I think it's a superb idea.

There is so much knowledge in the archives here, which no-one gripes about sharing but it's a shame that people (obviously watch enthusiasts) are lurking without joining. Why not give folk a bit of a nudge to come and join in too, goodness knows we could use some new blood.

Out of curiosity (and being too lazy to check) is the sale section still visible to everyone or do you need to log in to access all that?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

I'm usually in the other camp, but on a site like this I think it's a superb idea.

There is so much knowledge in the archives here, which no-one gripes about sharing but it's a shame that people (obviously watch enthusiasts) are lurking without joining. Why not give folk a bit of a nudge to come and join in too, goodness knows we could use some new blood.

Out of curiosity (and being too lazy to check) is the sale section still visible to everyone or do you need to log in to access all that?

I believe it's not visible, even to members if under 50 posts

9 minutes ago, SBryantgb said:

Never had an issue with it... always login. One can always login anonymously 

In fact the site remembers my login so I would have to logout more than I logged in :yes:

45 minutes ago, Roy said:

I understand the reasoning, and Kev is right that this forum could do with some new regulars, but I know that it is often the case where this will just push guests to go elsewhere. A lot of people actively avoid sites which simply say "we noticed you have adblock enabled, blah blah". There are far more (and often larger) watch forums that guests will just go to instead. I could be wrong of course, just my opinion.

• Like 1

I'm always logged in automatically. It's so easy to do - just click 'remember me' or whatever the prompt is - and that's it. What's so hard about that? Then if I want to reply to a post, or click like, I can. It's the same for the various forum's I belong to, not all watch related.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hughlle said:

There are far more (and often larger) watch forums that guests will just go to instead. I could be wrong of course, just my opinion.

Well let them not contribute elsewhere :laugh:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Roy said:

Well let them not contribute elsewhere :laugh:

That's just it though. Just because a guest doesn't contribute at first doesn't mean they won't in future. I used this forum a lot as a guest before I decided it looked a nice place to join. I probably wouldn't have if it had been ten threads a day. But I'm just one person, and I know I am hardly normal, so fingers crossed it works out :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBryantgb said:

Never had an issue with it... always login. One can always login anonymously 

Looks like that feature might have just been disabled (it didn't work for me a few moments ago) as its very existence defeats the purpose of the 10 Topic limit :biggrin: 

Anyway, the point is that this is the Internet, not a private members club.  Imagine if every site started requiring you to login just to view content!  I can understand locking down things like the Sales section, but not the main parts of the site.  That will, in my opinion, drive people away, not encourage them to join.

I never login anywhere unless there's something I specifically want/need to do, like buying something or posting a comment on a forum, for example.  And nor should I have to.  I don't like to keep vast caches of login credentials stored in my browser(s) either so automatically logging me in is not an option.  Maybe that's me being a bit too "tin-foil hat" but that's the way it is.

Anyway, we'll see what other members think and I can always continue to use Tor or other workarounds in the meantime :wink:

To me it's a matter of perspective. This is Roy's place just as Roy's house is Roy's house regardless of how public any one thinks every site on the internet is. Now you could say the forum is like he left his front door open, and we walked in. But if there was a sign that said please don't handle his bizarre collection erotic art that he might or might not have. I wouldn't (well I wouldn't anyway regardless of the sign). He gets to set the rules.

I understand the points raised and if it causes people too many issues and the guests are not registering then we will think again. It's only been running for 24 hours.

If it were me, as a guest, wanting to view more I know for a fact I would just join up. It's free, friendly and there is a wealth of info. 

After reading 10 posts I wouldn't want to go anywhere else :laugh:

To be honest i find logging in a pain in the butt, so i never bother.

I JUST DON'T LOG OUT.     :character0275: 

My memory is that bad i'd need Hansel and Grettle to find my way back. :scared:

• Like 3

I automatically log in because I just know that I'm going to have to reply to some of the threads on here! :laugh: But I also like to see if I've got any new messages or notifications....you won't get those if you don't log in. It's all about 'community spirit and joining in'........not being a lurker. 

Edited by Roger the Dodger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy said:

If it were me, as a guest, wanting to view more I know for a fact I would just join up. It's free, friendly and there is a wealth of info. 

Alright Roy don't milk it... you've already got us.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy said:

I understand the points raised and if it causes people too many issues and the guests are not registering then we will think again. It's only been running for 24 hours.

I think you are currently being misguided mate.:rolleyes: 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hughlle said:

I have to agree. I almost always go elsewhere when a website starts putting restrictions like that in place, e.g the Financial Times. I will NEVER sign up to a website just to be allowed to view things because there will always be an unrestricted alternative. Often if I'm on a new forum, I'll have to go through more than 10 threads just to find one that has the answer I'm looking for, because search functions never tend to get you what you're actually after (often due to people tag spamming), and you end up just going from one thread to the next before you find what you need.

Do you promise?

Only messing with you but do you seriously log out an in in a regular basis?

14 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

I almost never login.  I've just installed the Tor Browser to view your (Roy's) reply and continue to browse the forum unhindered :laugh:

This isn't a "private" forum and as hughlle says, I generally just go elsewhere when sites put restrictions like this in my way.  I genuinely find it a deterrent rather than an encouragement.

Umm why? Just log in and stay logged in, what is there to lose?

Edited by Padders

11 hours ago, brummie1875 said:

To be honest i find logging in a pain in the butt, so i never bother.

I JUST DON'T LOG OUT.     :character0275: 

My memory is that bad i'd need Hansel and Grettle to find my way back. :scared:

I`m with you on that :laugh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Looks like that feature might have just been disabled (it didn't work for me a few moments ago) as its very existence defeats the purpose of the 10 Topic limit :biggrin: 

Anyway, the point is that this is the Internet, not a private members club.  Imagine if every site started requiring you to login just to view content!  I can understand locking down things like the Sales section, but not the main parts of the site.  That will, in my opinion, drive people away, not encourage them to join.

I never login anywhere unless there's something I specifically want/need to do, like buying something or posting a comment on a forum, for example.  And nor should I have to.  I don't like to keep vast caches of login credentials stored in my browser(s) either so automatically logging me in is not an option.  Maybe that's me being a bit too "tin-foil hat" but that's the way it is.

Anyway, we'll see what other members think and I can always continue to use Tor or other workarounds in the meantime :wink:

Cheerio then. Good luck finding a similar friendly place which allows unrestricted anonymous access. Has it occurred to you that having some faith in a correspondent is useful and reassuring? I certainly won't be buying or selling with someone who won't leave some kind of footprint. I respect your desire for privacy but you can't have it both ways. 

• Like 2

mmm kind of in both camps, I did a lot of lurking on all the watch sites before I joined here to get a feel for the topics and people and while i still lurk on other sites as a guest I am only a member here,

I do log out as I do on all the forums I am on , my lap top has biometrics and when I bring up the website all I do is run my finger over the scanner and I am in ,

lovely website lovely people why would you not join :biggrin:

deano

I am set up for automatic log-in as it is simpler and I can respond to a thread if I want to. Browsing 10 topics per day should be enough to see if you like the forum but if I was looking for specific information then I would do a google search and that might well show topics withing various forum sites.