• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Glashutte Owners Club

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

And this . . . 

RvpmirA.jpg

Senator Excellence (2017). 40mm SS. Calibre 36-1 automatic. 100 hours PR from a single barrel.

And this . . . 

7LtrYej.jpg

Sport Evolution Panoramadatum (2012). 42mm SS with display back. 20 Atm WR.  Calibre 39-41 automatic.

Edited by yokel
  • Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, Xanderbob said:

I just purchased a sixties green face with date and pick it up at the end of the week. Anyone seen the new orange dial?

Not yet  -  this year's colour, and could therefore take a week or two to permeate to the "lesser" markets. I'm sure Singapore has got it :wink:

• Haha 1

May I offer an apology. When I first joined this forum I assumed (and we all know what the SAS allegedly has to say about assumptions) that there would be many fans of Glashütte watches in our ranks. I now realise that I was wrong, and will therefore now try to do the subject proper justice.

As I’m sure you know, GO is the only watch manufacturer in Glashütte with a corporate history going back further than 1990.

When they took control of eastern Germany after the Second World War, the Russian government authorised the confiscation of German industrial assets of all kinds by way of reparation for the damage caused by the German invasion of Russia. Almost all machinery in working order remaining in Glashütte, and most designs and templates were expropriated. The people however, and their skills remained.

In the late forties, the remaining craftsmen gradually rebuilt their production capability. Resources were scarce, so machines and tools had to be built from scratch. Working together was the natural way, which fitted well with the new communist philosophy of the DDR. In 1951, the re-emerging watchmaking capabilities of Glashütte (including the still extant firms of Lange and Mühle) were nationalised as a group as Glashütte Uhren Betriebe (GUB). With very restricted import possibilities, GUB had to become self-sufficient in almost all component parts and in the machinery to make them. Nevertheless, GUB became a major exporter to other parts of the Warsaw Pact bloc, and even to West Germany (earning much needed “hard” currency). GUB tended to use the brand “Glashütte” on their watches, but to label their movements “GUB”. It was in this period that Spezimatic and the later Spezichron (see @martinzx’s first post) were developed. By the mid-1980s GUB employed 2,500 people, produced (IIRC) hundreds of thousands of watches each year, and enjoyed a good reputation for fine (if industrial) movements. Interestingly, GUB did dabble in quartz (mainly for ladies’ watches) but it never became a focus.

Everything changed again in 1989 with the “fall of the wall” and German reunification (treaty actually in 1990). East Germany became part of the Federal Republic (West Germany), a capitalist economy with little appetite for state controlled businesses. In common with about 8,500 other old DDR businesses, GUB was placed under the administration of the Treuhandanstalt, the agency responsible for reprivatizing previously state owned enterprises. Treuhand slimmed GUB down to around seventy people in order to try to make it competitive and saleable before finally finding a buyer (Heinz Pfeiffer) in 1994. Pfeiffer took GUB upmarket in every sense, and renamed it “Glashütte Original” before selling it again to the Swatch group in 2000.

I like GO a lot. The company tries to follow the Glashütte tradition of restrained design, meticulous workmanship, and in-house mechanical movements, whilst still trying to keep their prices within the bounds of reason.

I will therefore now try to give a somewhat more than cursory description of my GOs  --  in the order in which the watches were introduced to the market.

Glashütte is not renowned for “sports” watches, but GO did produce a diver for a while  --  although they did cease production not long after my (2012) example.

The nattily named “Sport Evolution Panoramadatum” (in my case Reference: 39 42 43 03 14) is a 42.5mm by 13.8mm stainless steel watch rated to 200m water resistance. It features a very adjustable (and well made) bracelet or a sailcloth strap. I have both, but prefer the latter. The movement is a 44 jewel, 4Hz automatic (Kaliber 39) derived from the Kaliber 10-30 which was the ultimate development of the GUB era (and I think powered the “Spezichron”  --  again, see Martin), offering a 40 hour power reserve. Despite being a derivative (and development) of a relatively industrial movement, Kaliber 39 is quite well finished, which allowed GO to offer the Sport Evo Pano with an innovative convex display back, which aids comfort on a relatively large piece.

The watch also features GO’s “Panoramadatum” (big date) which, elegantly, has both of the numbers in the same plane.

GO Kaliber 39 is still in use in the “Sixties” and “Seventies” product lines.

Yrwgi5u.jpg

Ra4nfew.jpg

TJIQdfD.jpg

dFq6Xju.jpg

0V4zxzD.jpg

KjMAHtW.jpg

Ia2CbYI.jpg

The Panoreserve is GO’s answer to the Große 1 from next door neighbour (and “johny come lately” (1990)) ALS.

s5YgSMm.jpg

The Panoreserve has an asymmetrical dial layout, also incorporating the GO big date, and gives an (IMHO) nicely harmonious aspect. My version is 42mm x 11.7mm in stainless steel on an alligator strap. I have both the deployant and tang buckles, but prefer the latter. The movement is GO’s in-house Kaliber 65  4Hz manually wound unit, featuring 48 jewels and offering a power reserve of 42 hours. The balance bridge is attractively engraved by hand, though admittedly not quite to the standard of more expensive neighbours ALS and MG. I believe that Kaliber 65 is used only for the Panoreserve.

M5Bd682.jpg

pvw0yEd.jpg

RZ5RIcA.jpg

eJmbTSl.jpg

Q5xI4L4.jpg

OUdEOz4.jpg

6Lrhoo8.jpg

xzJJqvJ.jpg

And, the most modern in my collection is the Senator Excellence, which was introduced in 2017. It is available in many versions (with big date, and with moon phase, and with a classic dial and hands, aviator style, and in a look very similar (IMHO) to Grand Seiko. I chose the steel classic without complications to allow wear with black tie. In that form it is 40mm x 10mm, and features the most spectacularly blued hands I know. The power plant is GO’s 4Hz in-house Kaliber 36 automatic (27 jewels), which was newly developed especially for the Senator Excellence. Power reserve is 100 hours from a single barrel. Again, I chose an alligator strap with a tang buckle.

ii4ZWKp.jpg

JrT8i3Z.jpg

WwEXy5e.jpg

J7Mc4RF.jpg

n2ojSki.jpg

lqG5Cdp.jpg

i9OLPC0.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by yokel
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As many may realise, the “Pano-“ series (Panomatic and Panoreserve) is the biggest seller for Glashütte Original. Being a fan of manually wound movements, mine is the latter. For your interest, here is a short video I made for the “what are you wearing” thread on 17th October 2019.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 14:23, Hookeysmith said:

Hi 

New to the forum and I would like to say I have ordered a Glashutte Panomatic Lunar (not figured out how to load images yet :()

Soon as it arrives I will try to upload some images

beautiful piece and even better up close in the flesh

Beautiful watch with a beautiful (for an automatic) movement. I'm sure you'll love it :yes: