• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I know what you mean, Rog. I don't have all of those things but there are a couple that don't get used: the steamer; the food processor; and strangely enough the kettle since I got the Nespresso machine.  That is because I don't drink tea.  Things that always get used are the sandwich toaster, the ordinary toaster, the slow cooker, the bread maker and of course the Nespresso.  Before I moved to this system I had a couple of espresso coffee machines and didn't get on with them. I also have a mini oven which is superb when you are cooking for one.

Edited by AVO

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I wonder if most of these machines last more than two weeks before being consigned to 'that' cupboard that houses all the other paraphernalia that have become kitchen 'ornaments'....the 'Nutri Bullet'...(WTF?), the sandwich toaster, the blender, the electric carving knife, the water heater, the juicer...etc...etc, that you thought were a good idea, and you revert to the good old jar of Nescafé Gold Blend and a kettle?:hmmm9uh::laugh:

There are only the essentials in my/our (my!) kitchen...  A big multi-oven cooker, toaster, kettle, food processor, espresso machine and the wife's sandwich toaster.  If it doesn't get used, it gets given away.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, and I apologise to the OP....the most used 'weird' gadget that we have is a 'slow cooker'. This has provided me (OK....and 'er indoors) with countless, perfectly prepared meals. Just chuck everything in (meat, veg, potatoes seasoning and a very little water) as you leave the house in the morning....and come home to a perfectly prepared stew/casserole whatever you want to call it in the evening. Not for all year use, as in the summer months we tend to eat a lot of salad, but as the autumn evenings draw in, will have to retrieve from the cupboard of 'kitchen antiques'....until it returns next March......:laugh:

• Like 1

I have a Delonghi Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine and I am very happy with it.

Relatively expensive to buy, but convenient, and also cheap to run.

On 08/10/2016 at 17:32, Roger the Dodger said:

I wonder if most of these machines last more than two weeks before being consigned to 'that' cupboard that houses all the other paraphernalia that have become kitchen 'ornaments'....the 'Nutri Bullet'...(WTF?), the sandwich toaster, the blender, the electric carving knife, the water heater, the juicer...etc...etc, that you thought were a good idea, and you revert to the good old jar of Nescafé Gold Blend and a kettle?:hmmm9uh::laugh:

Because I mainly drink filter coffee and my mum knows how much I like it, I am dreading her buying me one of these Nespresso/Tossimo things for Christmas.  I have only just managed to get rid of the bloody breadmaker she got me a couple of years back..:scared:

• Like 1

What do you want to spend on it ?

Do you want espresso shots, or more regular coffee ?

If espresso, I'd go for something like the Rancilio Silvia, a true classic.

If regular coffee, I'm entirely charmed by the manual devices like the Hario V60.

And do not forget, as any coffee enthusiast will tell you, a decent coffee grinder is more important for a good result than the machine.

No good asking me I tried coffee when I was about 4 , I think and not a drop more has passed my lips in 56 years since :biggrin:

they are talking about coffee on the one show as I type!

deano

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Nespresso a couple of days ago. "Heathen!" I hear you coffee connoisseurs shout.

Anyway 'tis done now. Quite impressed. Quick, no fuss and no mess. I am currently working my way through 16 samples. I haven't found one that was really horrible yet but also I haven't found one that I like enough, to make me go and buy and use as my everyday coffee.

Yesterday a friend came round for a chat and a catch-up. I asked if she wanted coffee and she said "Yes please,but only white."

Now this got me thinking?!? 

Instead of putting water in the machine, anyone tried putting milk in the dispenser? Will it still work? Shall I try it?

Any opinions?

Rob....

• Like 1

On 13 October 2016 at 09:29, robden said:

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Nespresso a couple of days ago. "Heathen!" I hear you coffee connoisseurs shout.

Anyway 'tis done now. Quite impressed. Quick, no fuss and no mess. I am currently working my way through 16 samples. I haven't found one that was really horrible yet but also I haven't found one that I like enough, to make me go and buy and use as my everyday coffee.

Yesterday a friend came round for a chat and a catch-up. I asked if she wanted coffee and she said "Yes please,but only white."

Now this got me thinking?!? 

Instead of putting water in the machine, anyone tried putting milk in the dispenser? Will it still work? Shall I try it?

Any opinions?

Rob....

I'd check the instructions though I've got a feeling you shouldn't put milk through the machine. Some of the machines come with milk frothers separately. I noticed your last message was about 2 weeks ago, did you try putting milk in, I'd be interested to know how it turned out if so.

Edited by Muddy D
Error

6 hours ago, Muddy D said:

I'd check the instructions though I've got a feeling you shouldn't put milk through the machine. Some of the machines come with milk frothers separately. I noticed your last message was about 2 weeks ago, did you try putting milk in, I'd be interested to know how it turned out if so.

No. I was advised not to, as cleaning out, it would be hard to get all the milk out, and it could go bad and ruin the machine.

Rob.... 

18 minutes ago, robden said:

No. I was advised not to, as cleaning out, it would be hard to get all the milk out, and it could go bad and ruin the machine.

Rob.... 

Wise choice in my opinion.  If your coffee machine doesn't have a milk frothing thingy,  you could always get one of these.

http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Milk-Frother/34-4075?gclid=CNPjn_n3gdACFUY8Gwod0YMD4A

On 02/10/2016 at 22:56, Roger the Dodger said:

Get yourself some of these...best coffee around!:thumbsup:
Image result for nescafe 3 in 1

ASDA have five sachet packs for 50p. I just bought a bag full. 10p for a cuppa is a bit of a bargain for work were the machine takes 20p for a not very good coffee.

:)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

ASDA have five sachet packs for 50p. I just bought a bag full. 10p for a cuppa is a bit of a bargain for work were the machine takes 20p for a not very good coffee.

:)

Terrible stuff. They have dried "cow's juice" in.

I only have cow's juice on cereal.

Rob....

52 minutes ago, robden said:

Terrible stuff. They have dried "cow's juice" in.

I only have cow's juice on cereal.

Rob....

What was the first person to milk a cow thinking? :huh:

I can confess I get more intimidated by a coffee menu than a wine list.  All I know is never drink hotel room coffee, which looks suspiciously like what @BondandBigM has chosen

• Like 1

If anyone is interested i have an Aeropress that is now surplus to requirements (can stay at home and use the machine) yours for the price of the post or pick it up.

David