• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Badger

Heresy! I got me an Apple watch

I've done something I thought I'd never do - bought an Apple watch to go with my new iPhone.

IMG_0040_zpsuoa3bxmf.jpg

I've read all the whys and why-nots of having one, and was a bit dubious, so I went for the cheapest 42mm Series 1 (the one with twin processors, but no built in GPS or 50m WR).

And you know what? I absolutely love it.

Take no notice of the detractors saying it is not a proper watch. The complications you can have are amazing. It is easy to use. It connects to the iPhone system brilliantly. The 1 day battery life is not a problem - just pop it onto the magnetic night stand and it charges (takes 2 hours) and doubles as a night watch, with a special big display and sensitive motion detection, so just the lightest touch on the bedside table turns it on.

And above all it is useful.

For example, I have customised a face for when I go out walking which shows elapsed time, steps taken and temperature (and normal time, day and date, of course).

You can answer telephone calls just using the watch. Ask it to navigate home and it gives directions. Ask it if it will rain. etc, etc , etc

Try all that with a "proper" watch.

Of course, it will never take the place of all the real watches I own. Definitely not.

Except I can't take it off my wrist.

Egads

Dave

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

I've done something I thought I'd never do - bought an Apple watch to go with my new iPhone.

IMG_0040_zpsuoa3bxmf.jpg

I've read all the whys and why-nots of having one, and was a bit dubious, so I went for the cheapest 42mm Series 1 (the one with twin processors, but no built in GPS or 50m WR).

And you know what? I absolutely love it.

Take no notice of the detractors saying it is not a proper watch. The complications you can have are amazing. It is easy to use. It connects to the iPhone system brilliantly. The 1 day battery life is not a problem - just pop it onto the magnetic night stand and it charges (takes 2 hours) and doubles as a night watch, with a special big display and sensitive motion detection, so just the lightest touch on the bedside table turns it on.

And above all it is useful.

For example, I have customised a face for when I go out walking which shows elapsed time, steps taken and temperature (and normal time, day and date, of course).

You can answer telephone calls just using the watch. Ask it to navigate home and it gives directions. Ask it if it will rain. etc, etc , etc

Try all that with a "proper" watch.

Of course, it will never take the place of all the real watches I own. Definitely not.

Except I can't take it off my wrist.

Egads

Dave

I had a strap like that once!

Rob....

• Like 2

I agree with everything you say and I'm thinking of getting one too, except I want the series 2 with gps (useful when biking hopefully) and I need to see the new woven nylon straps first. :)

cheers and enjoy

b

• Like 1

I used to have one, but admit that I sold it on a few months back. I might consider the V2 though...

As a timepiece I did not get on with it - I found the delay in my raising me wrist and the screen firing up got to me after a while and the times when I could not raise my wrist (when driving etc) to fire up the screen were too common.

However, like you said, the complications are pretty useful and the customisation for these is good.  As a wearable device, for fitness, music, health tracking though it is unbeatable. Also, I likes the subtle tap on my wrist and on-screen summary whenever a text or email came through.  In fact, I found that my phone battery lasted slightly longer when using the watch because, despite having Bluetooth on, I was using the phone screen less and acknowledging alerts through the watch instead.

If it suits you, enjoy it :-)

J

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JimboJames1972 said:

I found the delay in my raising me wrist and the screen firing up got to me after a while ...

This one seems pretty nippy - must be the new processor 

Regards

Dave 

Edited by Badger