• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

To sell or not to sell?

My watch collecting obsession has done, almost a complete U turn. It used to be only mechanicals and favouring auto's.

Now I much prefer something with a battery. Pick up and go and no messing about with the dates and time.

Especially "Hummers"........you gotta' love a hummer.

Now the problem is, do keep the mechanicals in case I change tack again or do I sell the blighters and release some money to buy more electricals.??

Rob....

mechanical watches are rubbish !

i have a spare 30 or 40 quid in loose change and green shield stamps - send 'em to me for disposal :whistle:

seriously though - sort 'em out by aesthetics or price or whatever - sell the bottom half of the list.  then see how you feel, rinse and repeat :wink:

3 minutes ago, robden said:

My watch collecting obsession has done, almost a complete U turn. It used to be only mechanicals and favouring auto's.

Now I much prefer something with a battery. Pick up and go and no messing about with the dates and time.

Now the problem is, do keep the mechanicals in case I change tack again or do I sell the blighters and release some money to buy more electricals.??

Rob....

Sit on it for a while, then decide.

26 minutes ago, robden said:

Rob....

I would sort your mechanicals into groups - are there any that have sentimental value or a look that you still really like? Put those aside for now and concentrate on the others.

Would any of these be difficult to replace if you changed your mind later on? If the pound remains low for a few years and prices for new and used increase then would that increase put the watch out of reach? If you sell now for £50 and think the worst case for a replacement would be £75 could you live with that?

9 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Don't sell any that are difficult to replace.

That ^ is good advice :thumbsup:  Also, anything with sentimental value should be kept, that more or less goes without saying.  And anything you wear regularly should stay, which should narrow down your options a bit.  Don't do anything drastic though, I find selling 3 or 4 to fund one more expensive incoming is pretty satisfying, but more than that would be too painful :laugh:

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this and now that I've thunk, there are 3-4 that I only wear because I feel I should. Sometimes the autos or kinetics get wrapped in bubble wrap and are carried in my pocket, just to keep them going. So in that case, they're for the chop.                                                            

If I can't get them again, it won't bother me.

The others? I'll hang on to for a while...........just in case.

Rob....     

• Like 1

I always think a focus to a collection is a good thing, Im a dive watch guy, I also vividly remember a post a long long time ago where a certain Silver Hawk was moaning that he didn't have a focus..... Look at him now :thumbs_up: .... ( would love to find that post ) 

6 hours ago, Davey P said:

Good luck with your sales mate.  There won't be anything for me unless they are quartz, but I'm sure there will be plenty of interest from others on here :thumbsup:

There will be one quartz and if memory serves..........it's on rubber. :yahoo:

Rob....