• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

' Should I, Shouldn't I'

Karrusel

If I was to purchase (emphasis on 'if') a quartz watch, what would you quartz aficionado's recommend?

Please bear in mind before offering me the benefit of your vast knowledge of this type, I am a dyed in the wool vintage mechanical devotee who likes simplicity and a very 'smooth' sweeping second hand!

Just curious as to whether I should place one in the collection for evolution purposes.

Since joining the forum have become aware that there is a devout passion for this type, consequently my eyes have been opened (a little) to some of their attributes......did I just say that? :tumbleweed:

This is a serious enquiry & to all 'mechanical purists'....NO!, I haven't been at the sauce bottle!

Alan

• Like 1

If you are after a Quartz with the emphasis on 'speciality quartz' you could do a lot worse than any Omega, especially the ones with the independently set able hour hand for traversing time zones. Like the 80's International series of Omega De-Ville. I've had a few. :yes:

• Like 1

Hi, Alan...I have a couple of quartz, because like you, I prefer mechanicals. The Accurist that the 710 bought me when we first met does the normal quartz one second jump. Whereas the Seiko 7T32 that I have has a sweeping second hand like a Rolex. A bit of research will help, but as Badgersdad has just mentioned, the Bulova 'Precisionist' range will give you that seamlessy sweeping motion that the original Accutron/Omega F300s had. I know, I had one!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

total left field (in more ways than one) try starting with the early Quartz rather than the latest......have a look at the Russian 

quartz resonator......sized and built like tanks but without the pictures on the dial.....impressive kit and history and not the most expensive at around £50 from the eastern bloc.

• Like 1

In fact why go any futher with this when @SBryantgb has an Omega Electronic at a bargain price on sale. It might not have the lovely tick of a Quartz, but I think Alan likes the sweep of an auto. There. And conversely yours. Nigel. 

Oh but it ain't a quartz. Tut. :(

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

In fact why go any futher with this when @SBryantgb has an Omega Electronic at a bargain price on sale. It might not have the lovely tick of a Quartz, but I think Alan likes the sweep of an auto. There. And conversely yours. Nigel. 

Thanks for reminding me I had forgotten it was there :thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

If you are after a Quartz with the emphasis on 'speciality quartz' you could do a lot worse than any Omega, especially the ones with the independently set able hour hand for traversing time zones. Like the 80's International series of Omega De-Ville. I've had a few. :yes:

Those are so much fun..... I have one and every 6 months I have to google how to reset it when it's a couple of seconds off. :yes:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SBryantgb said:

Thanks for reminding me I had forgotten it was there :thumbsup:

Those are so much fun..... I have one and every 6 months I have to google how to reset it when it's a couple of seconds off. :yes:

In all seriousness why doesn't the man just buy your Omega?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

Need you ask 

CBF58B77-390A-42F9-924B-597711910449.jpgOr even one of these

BCF575CC-4A5E-4177-AE09-A548C979B899.jpg

Come on! Don't spoil this I'm doing a sales pitch on the lovely Omega. Yes yes your Landeron is a classic too. Will be akin to a Fine Jewels with patina one day!

Though Alan is strap sensitive and the strap on the CW looks like it would bite if you charmed it

Image result for snake charmer

Edited by Nigelp

Dear Lord, what a dilemma I've created for myself?

In the last hour after viewing your kind responses, every time I view Bulova, Omega, Landeron, Christopher Ward, Hamilton & such web sites f..... auto, mechanicals in the main dominate the search....my Alma Mater is haunting me!

Nevertheless, I wiil steel myself, just this once, and arrive at a decision? :tumbleweed:

Alan

1 hour ago, badgersdad said:

If you like smooth, look at bulova or omega electrics. there are plenty of better informed people on here than me to advise you about them,  but you'll get a smoother sweep than an auto. There's an f300 in the sales section at the minute.

There's three or four.

13 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Dear Lord, what a dilemma I've created for myself?

In the last hour after viewing your kind responses, every time I view Bulova, Omega, Landeron, Christopher Ward, Hamilton & such web sites f..... auto, mechanicals in the main dominate the search....my Alma Mater is haunting me!

Nevertheless, I wiil steel myself, just this once, and arrive at a decision? :tumbleweed:

Alan

Alan! An offer you can't refuse.

PM me your address and I'll send you a 'Hummer' to try. Humms, smooth sweep and very accurate. 

Rob....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robden said:

Alan! An offer you can't refuse.

PM me your address and I'll send you a 'Hummer' to try. Humms, smooth sweep and very accurate. 

Rob....

Thank you, I may well take up your kind offer, if I decided on this option would have to change to a leather band (can't, get on with bracelets, sorry).

This will be my one and only departure from 'true' watchmaking patronage :whistle:, as such, will afford due diligence to 'all' imitators? 

Alan