• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RWP

Who Really Can't wear 45mm?

8 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I think it`s safe to say I don`t give a flying fig what size a watch is, if it`s a mans watch & I like it I`ll wear it...

ServiceS HENDON, `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal. 200g 4 Jewels, circa 1937.

(22mm excluding crown, 24mm inc.)

ServicesHendonDSC_0596_zps44232cef.gif~original

"ServiceS"  "airman" SWISS MADE (by the Fleurier Watch Company),15 Jewel 13 ligne movement, silver case, circa 1926/7.

(31mm excluding crown,34mm inc.)

ServicesDSC_0072-1.jpg~original

MARINA MILITARE (Parnis)` Seagull cal.3600 17 Jewels.

(60mm excluding crown,67mm inc.)

DSC_0204_zpspv0ferj1.jpg~original

вмф ссср (`Vodolaz` Anchor-1  700M,full lume dial), Vostok cal.2409 17 jewels.

(57mm excluding crown, 71mm inc.)

DSC_0207_zpslp01e7oy.jpg~original

Photos obviously not to same scale but you get the idea :biggrin:

So, can anyone beat that range? :partytime:

I stand by my previous comment.  First two, timeless classics.  Second two, no comment your honour.

Oh and if you ever feel like getting rid of that second one and just keeping with those last two erm, lovely watches just send me a PM.

Edited by ZenArcade
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I think it`s safe to say I don`t give a flying fig what size a watch is, if it`s a mans watch & I like it I`ll wear it...

ServiceS HENDON, `FOREIGN MADE` (by Oris Switzerland) cal. 200g 4 Jewels, circa 1937.

(22mm excluding crown, 24mm inc.)

ServicesHendonDSC_0596_zps44232cef.gif~original

"ServiceS"  "airman" SWISS MADE (by the Fleurier Watch Company),15 Jewel 13 ligne movement, silver case, circa 1926/7.

(31mm excluding crown,34mm inc.)

ServicesDSC_0072-1.jpg~original

MARINA MILITARE (Parnis)` Seagull cal.3600 17 Jewels.

(60mm excluding crown,67mm inc.)

DSC_0204_zpspv0ferj1.jpg~original

вмф ссср (`Vodolaz` Anchor-1  700M,full lume dial), Vostok cal.2409 17 jewels.

(57mm excluding crown, 71mm inc.)

DSC_0207_zpslp01e7oy.jpg~original

Photos obviously not to same scale but you get the idea :biggrin:

So, can anyone beat that range? :partytime:jestin';

1 and 2....look like a Nancy! Especially with all that hair......reminds me of...
Image result for Little Britain...ladies

3 and 4 ....look like a Hero......
Image result for marvel agents of shield

You know my seriously warped sense of humour is in play here ol' pal, so please don't take offence....just jestin' wi'ya.......:laugh:

Edited by Roger the Dodger
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

1 and 2....look like a Nancy! 3 and 4 ....look like a Hero......

You know my seriously warped sense of humour is in play here ol' pal, so please don't take offence....just jestin' wi'ya.......:laugh:

Oh, I see then. Mines not small enough to be "a Nancy".:angry:

thumb?viewBox=626

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Oh, I see then. Mines not small enough to be "a Nancy".:angry:

thumb?viewBox=626

Mate.......that's just pathetic......:rofl:

The above for comedic effect, seriously that looks like a really nice vintage piece.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

7 1/2 wrist - thus in 38 - 40 lies the path to perfection, 36 at push, 42 at a push but only for dive watches as the bezel soaks up some of the dial area.

as someone mentioned lug to lug is important too , and shorter curved lugs on bigger watches help - though possibly not that much.

:whistle:

:Snore:

My Breitling avenger 2 sea wolf is 44 mm which isn't a problem but it is far too thick and as a result very easy to knock and scratch

I have 6.5" wrist :( so about 40mm is my limit. I can however get just away with my Zenith El Primero Rainbow and Oris TT1, but not a Victorinix chrono I have, due to the size and shape of the lugs.

Currently bidding on a 42mm Fortis though. Only one way to find out if it'll work :huh:

I have a 7" wrist and think 40mm is about perfect. I can carry up to maybe 42 or 43mm at a push. I only have those in chronographs and divers thou. And the size of the lugs are important, my 42mm watches have quite small lugs. 

On 16/11/2016 at 19:14, ZenArcade said:

Oh and if you ever feel like getting rid of that second one and just keeping with those last two erm, lovely watches just send me a PM.

I advise you not to hold your breath as hypoxia can be very hazardous to your health swoon.gif:laugh:

On 22/11/2016 at 11:12, ZenArcade said:

Now that's just selfish

It`s the only example of this particular "ServiceS"  that I`ve ever come across & quite possibly the first watch sold by the company. Also, considering who made it for Services, plus the fact it has a silver case, I suspect it might be worth a fair bit but that doesn`t matter as I`m very fond of it so it`s staying right here :tongue:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

It`s the only example of this particular "ServiceS"  that I`ve ever come across & quite possibly the first watch sold by the company. Also, considering who made it, plus the fact it has a silver case, I suspect it might be worth a fair bit but that doesn`t matter as I`m very fond of it so it`s staying right here :tongue:

Well it should, two great examples especially the second.  I have a couple of Services watches that need putting back into use and a silver cased sub second one, unknown brand but a nice vintage watch.

Great collection of Services watches you have, I need to start posting up some photos of my own collection.

• Like 1

Lots of wristist comments in this thread - d'ya think it OK just because I have puny wrists [let's be honest this is where the PC world will end up!] ? :laugh:

Back to the OP, I've got 6.5 inches [cue the usual jokes :partytime:] and 42mm really is my absolute limit with 'friendly' lugs.

The rise in size over the last decade is entirely fashion driven and, as we all know, when it comes to watches fashion is the Antichrist :yes:.  It's all about manufacturers trying to generate sales by convincing the buying public that their 36 or 38mm watch is old hat, unfashionable and that people will laugh at you for wearing something so small (even though these were the norm 20 years ago), that a small watch implies something about how macho/cool/hip you are (or about the size of other things about your person).  So, obviously you need to buy a new, larger, watch to make you feel good about yourself and to impress your friends and family.

I say "bah!" to marketing hype :tumbleweed:

But, of course, everyone should wear what they like :)

• Like 1