Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Timez Own

Exceptions

Recommended Posts

My personal preference for watch dials is usually black and sometimes silver, anything else just doesn't appeal for some reason.

So I have surprised myself by consistently liking white dialed Mondaine watches since first seeing them a few years ago.

A627.30303.61SBB_C_zpswkkq8lfw.jpg

A627.30303.11SBB_C_zpsjd746o5x.jpg

Does anyone here have a hankering for something that is not to their usual taste that they cannot easily explain?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, RWP said:

Got a thing about edge to edge crystal , as little metal as possible :)

I must say that edge to edge can look very good indeed :yes:.

But does it go against your normal taste?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Timez Own said:

I must say that edge to edge can look very good indeed :yes:.

But does it go against your normal taste?

It isn't what I usually go for, but I'm about bezelled out :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I have any hard and fast rules,  I would like to think I judge each watch on its merits...

I guess I don't like stone set cases and have yet to find and exception unless you count having a saphire in the crown as such.

Nothing wrong with white dials (Snowflake GS perfect example) but with the battons on that Mondaine I am just reminded of the clock at the swimming pool.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A watch is a precision instrument.

On the Mondaine the minute hand could read anywhere between one of two minutes and the seconds hand is

just wondering around aimlessly.

That's why I put it in the YUK thread.

Rob....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Steve121 said:

Quite liked the look of mondaines but seen them in person recently and they just don't do it for me IMO

It may turn out to be the case with me. I haven't had one in my hand yet.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a recent sotc I find myself looking for a gold poss vintage watch :huh:, this is well out of my norm modern white dial, and find myself strangely drawn to the JLC grand talle reverso !!

As for the modaine, if you want to time a drag race to the last second its useless , however on a night on the piss its fantastic for seeing if its time to go home as I can testify!!!:laugh:

deano

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

After a recent sotc I find myself looking for a gold poss vintage watch :huh:, this is well out of my norm modern white dial, and find myself strangely drawn to the JLC grand talle reverso !!

As for the modaine, if you want to time a drag race to the last second its useless , however on a night on the piss its fantastic for seeing if its time to go home as I can testify!!!:laugh:

deano

Glad to see someone else is considering a venture from their normal comfort zone, blame TWF for that. :rltrlt:

Can recommend the vintage sector :yes: but don't buy to many. :whistle:

Alan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timez Own said:

It may turn out to be the case with me. I haven't had one in my hand yet.......

Seen them in John Lewis if I remember correctly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all fall off the wagon occasionally ! My tastes are usually for vintage, auto/hand wind 38-40mm dress watch and Seiko.

So why does this monstrosity attract me ? 55MM !!

31013443772_33261ef3e1.jpg

 

Coincidentally I saw the Mondain in the flesh on Sunday. I'm afraid I have to agree with Rob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Levity said:

We all fall off the wagon occasionally ! My tastes are usually for vintage, auto/hand wind 38-40mm dress watch and Seiko.

So why does this monstrosity attract me ? 55MM !!

31013443772_33261ef3e1.jpg

 

Coincidentally I saw the Mondain in the flesh on Sunday. I'm afraid I have to agree with Rob.

Looks like something one of the "Borg" would wear.:yes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Canon Man said:

But the beauty of the Mondaine is in the movement.

Who would not enjoy having that on your wrist?

ME!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Timez Own said:

So I have surprised myself by consistently liking white dialed Mondaine watches since first seeing them a few years ago.

ditto_zpsknl5glt6.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like these too and they are nothing like my normal preference, what with the white dial & big lollipop second hand, but they look so easy to read if you're not bothered for to the second accuracy.

I've also found myself quite liking the look of coin edged bezels and onion crowns. What's happening to me???

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

I like these too and they are nothing like my normal preference, what with the white dial & big lollipop second hand, but they look so easy to read if you're not bothered for to the second accuracy.

I've also found myself quite liking the look of coin edged bezels and onion crowns. What's happening to me???

Couple of weeks ago it had never entered my head to purchase a quartz watch.

Since being on the forum my myopic considerations has undoubtedly being widened!

Roy must have unleashed a virus? :tumbleweed:

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...