• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Ethel

I've done something very stupid

Now before I start, I want to point out I am very new to resizing my own watches etc so forgive the very schoolboy errors :rolleyes:

Received my Orange Monster on Tuesday, absolutely love it. Resized the bracelet which I thought went fine but being a beginner I had no idea about these pin and collar link pins (until the next day when I had to google to find out why my links kept falling out :whistle:). So by this point the collars are well and truly gone. So I decide to take matters into my own hand... with superglue. First pin gets stuck half way in. Great. I try using my tool to remove the links around it, it snaps in the bracelet.

So basically my bracelet is now fucked :( lesson learnt :laugh: I think I'll be taking my watches to the jewellers to be resized from now on. 

I loved the original bracelet too so this has really upset me  it I don't have a spare £50-60 to get a new one right now so I need a new strap... any ideas? I have no idea what it would look good on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, handlehall said:

Who needs a bracelet? just superglue the watch directly to your wrist.

Haha! I knew using superglue was a really bad idea but it's all I could think of :laugh:

hind sight is a invaluable thing!, experience is another, both of which you now have , don't get too upset I am sure I and others here have  done dumb things!! :laugh:, how about looking for a 2 nd hand bracelet ?? other than that a rubber replacement might suit until such time ? . will not some links sort it now you know how it goes together? remove/ replace links either side of the break etc ?

deano 

• Like 1

epic :thumbs_up: ... erm i mean oops :whistle:  poop happens as you are now aware !

get it on a nato for now at least that way you are wearing it.!

• Like 1

Ahh that's not stupid @Ethel that's just a learning curve. Now if you had used a whole tub of superglue and then managed to get the watch stuck to your wrist trying the size out - that would be stupid :laugh: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deano1956 said:

hind sight is a invaluable thing!, experience is another, both of which you now have , don't get too upset I am sure I and others here have  done dumb things!! :laugh:, how about looking for a 2 nd hand bracelet ?? other than that a rubber replacement might suit until such time ? . will not some links sort it now you know how it goes together? remove/ replace links either side of the break etc ?

deano 

Now I'm over the initial anger, I got the bracelet back out to have another look, seems all I need to do is remove one link which is now knackered and I think I can get away with filing another down as it's only sticking out by about 0.5mm. Only problem is now getting that link out now that I don't have a tool :laugh:.

Most annoying thing about this whole ordeal - two more pins were coming out the other side, knocked them to bend them ever so slightly and now they are firmly in place :huh: if only I'd thought of that earlier!

31 minutes ago, Davey P said:

The easy option would have been to fit a proper Seiko rubber strap, of course:

SKX781K3_LRG.jpg

:thumbs_up:

I've ordered one of those on the bay! But that was before I sorted the bracelet out. Crisis averted now :clap:

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:57, handlehall said:

Who needs a bracelet? just superglue the watch directly to your wrist.

OMG I haven't laugh like that for a long time... :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

I can't describe my fight with rubber straps on SKX009 ( nearly cut them off ) :whistle:

• Like 1

B*****d pins them are. I have felt your pain before now.

I cannot laugh as i brought a tool to remove stubborn pins for ££ only to then find out they were blinking screw in!!!!

Aloha ,

Get some solution to dessolve that Glue,:yes:    then find a very ....... Thin Hard Pin and make a Drift Punch ..... to tap it out and it will come out.

Very easy to do I have don't it already many times.

LongBike

• Like 1

The trick when doing this is to take the pin out, separate the links, go with the tip of the super glue tube to the centre pivot of the link and one drop there, then quickly align the links, then ensuring you return the pin against the direction of the arrows tap it in. If you return the pin in the direction of the arrows it can get stuck in the taper. Then the glue will hold it in the middle of the pivot after 30 seconds and the bracelet will still flex as the outer link isn't held by the glue. It works then. :yes:

Not advisable but it can be done. 

never done one but this is how dad fixed his president on his 'gold' sekonda...apparantly. #@ctDaft. For more info. 

For some reason when I read the thread title I just knew it related to an Orange Monster :laugh:

Seriously, sorry to hear about your mistake but we`ve all made them at some time or other :whistle:

if you need a new tool then I just had one of these arrive yesterday

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/pin-remover-press-kit

£110 cheaper than the Horotec version.  The downside is the pins that fit into the holder fall out - there should be a magnet in the holder but the designer forgot that bit.  I solved that by using a small piece of rodico (or blu tac) and then it resized the Omega that arrived yesterday a treat

On 11/30/2016 at 10:04, mach 0.0013137 said:

Seriously, sorry to hear about your mistake but we've all made them at some time or other :whistle:

I made the mistake of buying a Monster once ..... err twice :rolleyes::( 

Sorry to hear of your bracelet shenanigans but at least you know about the stupid damned collars now - if I were you I'd just wear the bracelet as it's far nicer than the watch itself :bash:

2 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

I made the mistake of buying a Monster once ..... err twice :rolleyes::( 

Sorry to hear of your bracelet shenanigans but at least you know about the stupid damned collars now - if I were you I'd just wear the bracelet as it's far nicer than the watch itself :bash:

It`s good to know that there are others out there who can see the 200m Monster for the truly fugly abomination it really is :thumbs_up:

21 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

It`s good to know that there are others out there who can see the 200m Monster for the truly fugly abomination it really is :thumbs_up:

You are just in denial. You will eventually come out of the [Monster] closet.   :tongue:

1 minute ago, BlueKnight said:

You are just in denial. You will eventually come out of the [Monster] closet.   :tongue:

I strongly suggest you don`t hold your breath   smileyfainttd2_zpsf2ppoxtc.gif~original $ (31).gif

• Like 1

Haha I love my Monster :thumbsup: it all ended well in the end anyway I managed to bodge the pins in by bending them slightly :laugh:. Not ideal but the bracelet is functional again at least!

• Like 1

On 30-11-2016 at 06:56, LongBike said:

Aloha ,

Get some solution to dessolve that Glue,:yes:    

I thought about that, but wouldn't something that dissolves CA glue also do ugly things with the steel bracelet ?