UK Watch Forum banner

The best Watch you were ever GIVEN

2K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  craig12 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Despite appearing otherwise Christmas is a time for giving, which begs the question ........what is the best Watch of any type you were ever given. I have had a couple of lovely old Tissots from Wrench and others from kind members like John, but I will pick two from family.

From my late Mum who paid over the odds for this Vertex...

22998877479_3db010127a_b.jpg

And this from a day shopping from the Boz a few years ago.......

25556464960_9ec33fc367_b.jpg

I don't forget watches from Steve and Davey P.

Your turn.......

Cheers :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Without a doubt...this one, by my parents for my 21st. This isn't the original...sadly that was lost in a house move (bloody removal men!) but as close to the original as I could get, and now restored at a price far exceeding its actual monetary value, but not its sentimental value to me. Thanks, Mum and Dad.

d0f6e5bf-812f-4e89-89f3-d876973d9f35_zps

#7 ·
Well, as I have indicated previously, it has to be this one from my parents.

The one that started a very enjoyable journey & given me so much pleasure!

Wow... The best case back ever!!!

Congratulation Alan; very nice watch by the way :)

Reactions: RWP and Karrusel
#6 ·
.....what is the best Watch of any type you were ever given.

I don't forget watches from Steve and Davey P.
What goes around, comes around mate :thumbsup:

I received this beauty from you a while ago, and I'd have to say it is one of the best freebies I've ever had:

20151124_130555_zpskafytodi.jpg

And one of my other favourite freebies is being given away this morning in the Awesome Davey P 6000th Post Prize Draw, the mighty Fossil Speedway chrono, received from Bruce:

80914783-8d44-45aa-a83f-4ba408a53899_zps

That's just two examples of the many reasons why this is such a great forum :rltrlt:

#15 ·
I have been given two, the first from my parents years ago but I dont really remember getting it or wearing it, its never been opened so chances are the battery has made a mess, the crown is missing.

737cf84db0642dd45dbb963be2e3db44.jpg

I never wore a watch from then until about 2006 ish? when my wife bought me this Traser, so for the love of watches she is to blame! I recently had it pressure tested & new battery installed, when I mentioned it to her, she cannot remember buying it! :)

0f2a2258ed37833a9eb354bea7058d85.jpg

Its taken a beating but the tritium is still good.

#16 ·
I have been given two, the first from my parents years ago but I dont really remember getting it or wearing it, its never been opened so chances are the battery has made a mess, the crown is missing.

737cf84db0642dd45dbb963be2e3db44.jpg

I never wore a watch from then until about 2006 ish? when my wife bought me this Traser, so for the love of watches she is to blame! I recently had it pressure tested & new battery installed, when I mentioned it to her, she cannot remember buying it! :)

0f2a2258ed37833a9eb354bea7058d85.jpg

Its taken a beating but the tritium is still good.
You might be surprised if you got the Seiko going again, I have left some watches nearly as long and the batteries have not leaked :thumbsup:

#19 ·
I know they aren't held in high regard around here but this ceramic Armani is one of my favourite purely because it was a 21st birthday present from my mum :thumbsup:

IMG_1473.jpg
I've been gifted watches over the years by family, friends & colleagues that would not have been my preferred personal choice.

However, they are all part of the collection & would not part with them as they represent the sentiment with which they were given.

These last few weeks having sifted through some of mine, they have certainly rekindled some fond memories. :biggrin:

@Ethel your example if mine, would be a definite keeper as it represents a milestone in your life.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Alan

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rolex deep sea from my beautiful girlfriend

705ADACC-1C99-41E4-9186-8DC0EFB9FBBA_zps
Wow, great present :thumbsup:

I've never been "given" a watch as such but my wife did come up with the idea of me/us buying the following for my 40th as she knows how much I love watches (we have a joint account).

20161119_091000_zps4gloyem2.jpg

Davey did give me a shark mesh strap though :clap:

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
The best watches I was ever given are these...

VOSTOK EUROPE `Red Square`, cal.2432 32 Jewels & TISSOT PRS-516, ETA 2836 25 Jewels.

TissotampVostokDSC_0013_zps1dbeaa9a.gif~original

I got them when I retired from work in 2009, they were paid for with money donated by members of this great forum & my old work colleagues :rltrlt: :clap:

As you can imagine they both mean a lot to me :partytime:

#31 ·
Reactions: SBryantgb and RWP
#30 ·
I got a new job and bought myself my first 'proper watch' - a Tissot PRC200 that met the brief of looking good with a suit or casual, having some Swiss heritage and a pretty classy case design without breaking the bank.

Shortly after I went to Majorca with some friends and my girlfriend. My girlfriend and I got engaged at the viewpoint up in Port De Pollensa after I got down on one knee and opened a padlock box followed by a ring box.

6tg0Er7.jpg

We all celebrated afterwards with a pool party back at our apartment, dancing, drinking and messing around by the pool until the small hours. Obviously I took my watch off before I got into the pool...

However, the next day the watch was nowhere to be found. I looked high and low, my friends and my fiancé helped but we didn't find it before we had to leave for our flight home. I was gutted, I loved that watch.

Anyway, two weeks later I came home from work one night and my fiancé got down on one knee and opened a watch box containing an identical replacement! I was over the moon and it was a lovely gesture. The watch now has real sentimental value and it seemed appropriate to wear it on our wedding day.

phBn4gz.jpg

There was a final twist to the story - about a month after I was given the replacement my now wife found the first one in her camera bag where it had been all along! I gave that one to my dad who is also a watch fan. So it's the best watch I've bought, been given AND given away!

g8FosiT.jpg

Apologies for the long and soppy story but I feel like this is part of what makes watches wonderful...

#32 ·
I got a new job and bought myself my first 'proper watch' - a Tissot PRC200 that met the brief of looking good with a suit or casual, having some Swiss heritage and a pretty classy case design without breaking the bank.

Shortly after I went to Majorca with some friends and my girlfriend. My girlfriend and I got engaged at the viewpoint up in Port De Pollensa after I got down on one knee and opened a padlock box followed by a ring box.

6tg0Er7.jpg

We all celebrated afterwards with a pool party back at our apartment, dancing, drinking and messing around by the pool until the small hours. Obviously I took my watch off before I got into the pool...

However, the next day the watch was nowhere to be found. I looked high and low, my friends and my fiancé helped but we didn't find it before we had to leave for our flight home. I was gutted, I loved that watch.

Anyway, two weeks later I came home from work one night and my fiancé got down on one knee and opened a watch box containing an identical replacement! I was over the moon and it was a lovely gesture. The watch now has real sentimental value and it seemed appropriate to wear it on our wedding day.

phBn4gz.jpg

There was a final twist to the story - about a month after I was given the replacement my now wife found the first one in her camera bag where it had been all along! I gave that one to my dad who is also a watch fan. So it's the best watch I've bought, been given AND given away!

g8FosiT.jpg

Apologies for the long and soppy story but I feel like this is part of what makes watches wonderful...
You could make film of that........Nice pics nice story :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.