• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Fat_Bibendum

Everyday watch for £500 - Junkers? Chrisopher Ward? Something else?

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Yes. Had mine on for over a week and loving it.:yes:

o1bronze_1kx1k_c2_02_1_2.jpg

That is one of my favourite watches but they don't make em bigger. Simply stunning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flycaster said:

That is one of my favourite watches but they don't make em bigger. Simply stunning.

How big is bigger? My wrist is pretty big and it's perfect. :), and surprisingly comfortable.

thumb?viewBox=626

• Like 1

There is even Tissot to consider you could save yourself a couple of hundred and have one of their lovely sleek visodate. I had one in all black and liked it a lot good ETA auto in there too all for £350. New.

Image result for tissot visodate

Image result for tissot visodate

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flycaster said:

So they are bigger than 42mm?

42mm. I usually wear 36mm watches, so 42 is quite large for me.

• Like 1

I must admit I prefer the mid 30's in mm, My LLD is 42mm, but I guess it has to be seeing as the original was 42mm. You might not get one of these for 500 quid. More like 8 grand. 

Image result for vintage longines legend diver

So it makes the re-issue a snip at about 1,300 quid.

Save up a bit longer:yes:

Image result for longines legend diver

• Like 2

I second (third, fourth?) the Steinhart suggestion. Had my Ocean One Vintage for 2 weeks and I love it :thumbsup:. Another watch I really like is the Seiko Sea Urchin which is insanely cheap. 

I can't disagree with what's been said already.

I would take a look at a Hamilton Khaki auto, I think. This one is £323 on Creation at the moment.

H64455133_MED.jpg

If I got away without tax, I'd look to add a fun weekend watch, probably an Orange Monster! :laugh:

• Like 2

Everyone is absolutely correct. Best advice thread I've seen for ages.

You could spend a lifetime discovering Seiko with £500

Hamilton is classy £500.

Longines / Oris are magnificent £500 spend.

Plus there's all the 'new brands'. Steinhart / Armida  (you'll get an ETA 2824, Sapphire crystal and amazing water resistance)

In fact £500 is a wonderful first watch amount. The watch that set me off on this horological journey was a £12 casio digital.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, relaxer7 said:

Have you narrowed it down then OP? :)

I wish.  If anything I'm more undecided than when I started (I mean that in a good way and I did ask for suggestions after all).  The only narrowing of choices I've made are I prefer a bracelet to leather and I'm nudging towards a watch that isn't a chronograph.  Possibly even something that's 38mm.

16 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Plenty of good recommendations, I still stand by my vintage Tudor, but I agree that if its value for money in a modern watch and you want Swiss, then Longines are very very hard to beat. As are Oris. 

Try these I got a couple of hundred quid off an LLD and I think they do the HC too http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/?gclid=COaCnt2r5dACFe2w7Qodw0IF4A

That Tudor is very nice indeed! 

16 hours ago, Flycaster said:

Steinhart, nothing else in MIHO.

More to choose from!  It's fair to say that I'm swaying away from the Junkers and even the CW.

Decisions decisions.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat_Bibendum said:

I wish.  If anything I'm more undecided than when I started (I mean that in a good way and I did ask for suggestions after all).  The only narrowing of choices I've made are I prefer a bracelet to leather and I'm nudging towards a watch that isn't a chronograph.  Possibly even something that's 38mm.

That Tudor is very nice indeed! 

More to choose from!  It's fair to say that I'm swaying away from the Junkers and even the CW.

Decisions decisions.......

Have a search on the bay, plenty of choice, just put in Tudor and select manual wind. I looked at the buy it now ones and as always use the sellers feed back as a guide. These Tudor vintage are gems and still bargains in comparison. Amazing how much is available cheaply on the Bay especially in the vintage watches. I've just got a pair of crackers for £90 all in. One even had a brand new 40 quid strap fitted, the watch itself came for about a fiver if you knock off the value the previous owner paid for the strap and its lovely. An old Avia. Don't need to spend a lot to buy quality just go careful and go vintage manual wind. Its all in but a name! :thumbsup:

Edited by Nigelp

On 09/12/2016 at 13:34, Nigelp said:

Have a search on the bay, plenty of choice, just put in Tudor and select manual wind. I looked at the buy it now ones and as always use the sellers feed back as a guide. These Tudor vintage are gems and still bargains in comparison. Amazing how much is available cheaply on the Bay especially in the vintage watches. I've just got a pair of crackers for £90 all in. One even had a brand new 40 quid strap fitted, the watch itself came for about a fiver if you knock off the value the previous owner paid for the strap and its lovely. An old Avia. Don't need to spend a lot to buy quality just go careful and go vintage manual wind. Its all in but a name! :thumbsup:

My grandfather had three Avia watches.  I don't remember much about them except liking them so thanks for stirring the memory. :)

Been looking at watches for most of the day.  Even though I'm not in a rush to buy (do prices fall in the January sales?) I can't help but be drawn to reading up on them.  I tend to do this with hobbies, if something grabs my interest then I kind of immerse myself into it so I may well start asking what appear to be stupid questions a bit later on.

One thing I've noticed about eBay is the volume of watches available, particularly from the USA.  This Glycine caught my eye but I'm a bit wary, not least because of the apparent discount.  Is there anything I should be wary of when purchasing from abroad?  Import tax is the only thing I can really think of.

In terms of the actual watch, I'm now moving away from chronographs and moving towards the simpler, cleaner looking timepieces.  I've got an Invicta chronograph which looks nice off the wrist but when I wear it it just doesn't look right, if that makes sense.  My old Storm Technolight looks better in my opinion despite it being more of a fashion watch.

:)

Completely forgot to link to the Glycine watch.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glycine-Incursore-Manual-Wind-Steel-Mens-Strap-Swiss-Watch-3873-11-LBN7-/371807159609?hash=item56916f0539:g:fUsAAOSwHMJYONCH

Also spotted this Christopher Ward C9 which looks to be good value too:

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/events/c9-clearance/c9-big-day-date-10

On 08/12/2016 at 19:38, Flycaster said:

Steinhart, nothing else in MIHO.

As long as you like totally flat lugs. Makes them unwearable for me, although I can't deny their quality for the price.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2016 at 14:45, Bling9er said:

Personally, I would go for a nice Seiko that can be used on a bracelet (office) or a nato - the sumo. My other favourite at the moment is Glycine. Their combat subs are amazing

Agree with this, mightily impressed with Glycine combats. They're certainly worth serious consideration.  

12 hours ago, cactus said:

Agree with this, mightily impressed with Glycine combats. They're certainly worth serious consideration.  

I have decided on the Goldeneye version. Getting in the next few days, hope i like it, cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bling9er said:

I have decided on the Goldeneye version. Getting in the next few days, hope i like it, cheers.

Great choice, I'm sure you will like it. It's a serious watch person's watch. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bling9er said:

I believe you'll love it. Then in six months you'll see something else and flip it. There's only one keeper in you're watch box bling9er and it's the Omega.

I wanted to go home with your Hamilton the other night. If you ever want to sell it. :baby:

Finally, after more hours than I'd like to admit, I've narrowed my choice down to the following watches:

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/steinhart/watches/divers-watches/steinhart-ocean-vintage-red/t0207+-+sth-10/

http://www.poljot24.de/en/chronograph-aviator-1-sapphire.html

The Steinhart is winning.  Thank you for all your helpful posts, I'm sure this won't be the last I tap into TWF wisdom. :)

On 12/11/2016 at 16:28, weaselid said:

I believe you'll love it. Then in six months you'll see something else and flip it. There's only one keeper in you're watch box bling9er and it's the Omega.

I wanted to go home with your Hamilton the other night. If you ever want to sell it. :baby:

Its ordered and coming tomorrow...how exciting! Iguanasell have been excellent in communication. Nothing happened (email confirmation etc) for a day after i puller the trigger on their ebay listing (extra£20) and I emailed them and then they were all over it, had already sent the watch. They have sent me 2 nice emails today from Gabriella. Cool so far, want to see the watch though. If I ever order from them again I am going direct to their site and saving the £20.