Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Fat_Bibendum

Everyday watch for £500 - Junkers? Chrisopher Ward? Something else?

Recommended Posts

I'm a first time poster so my apologies if my post is something you see on a regular basis.

I haven't worn a watch in over 13 years and have been one of those annoying people who uses their phone to check the time. My birthday is approaching and my folks want to get me a watch.

Budget is £500 for something that would be worn everyday and I'm looking for suggestions please. So far these three watches have caught my eye (apologies, I can't post links just yet):

Junkers G38 Power Reserve Automatic - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-g38-power-reserve-automatic-watch-6960-4-p99977922.html

Junkers BauhausChronograph - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-bauhaus-chronograph-watch-6086-2-p99967857.html

88 Rue Du Rhone Double 8 Origin Chronograph - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-88-rue-du-rhone-double-8-origin-42mm-chronograph-watch-87wa140029-p99968606.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shoppingfeeds&source=froogle&gclid=CJynzOO539ACFe-97QoddtgCzw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Christopher Ward C7 Rapide Chronograph - https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c7-rapide-chronograph-mkii-v390-3

I have no idea how good/bad any of those watches/brands are as I know next to nothing about watches but am happy to learn. For some reason I quite like the idea of an automatic watch.

I work in an office so would appreciate something discreet that could be worn under a shirt cuff. 

Thanks in advance. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weclome, but £500 for an everyday that you want to 'hide', sheesh......:whistle:. G38 looks nice but I'm a diver man myself 

enjoy your time here

cheers

b

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello mate :)

I will say get something plane and classic date or day date maximum...
I have nothing against chronographs but far to busy on a first look and tick for :
" Something discreet under the cuff"
Pick something versatile that u can put on a night out (taking that's your only watch)

Seiko, Orient, Hamilton are watches for every day abuse in my opinion..

Hope that help you




Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, none of those unless you have a real desire for one of them. £500 opens up all sorts of far better options, especially if you'd considered used.

You've obviously got Roy's pieces, then you can consider Timefactors, Certina, Seiko, Hamilton, Citizen, Junghans, Longines, George Jensen, Elliot Brown, Glycine, 

And if you go used, Sinn and Damasko

Here's a good place to start browsing: https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/mens-watches-501-1000

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems chronographs are the theme here? Out of those the G38, but as above none of them are easily readable at a glance, the G38 is 14mm? Not very cuff friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bill love said:

Weclome, but £500 for an everyday that you want to 'hide', sheesh......:whistle:. G38 looks nice but I'm a diver man myself 

enjoy your time here

cheers

b

Good point.  I only actually wear closed cuffs about 5% of the time as cuff links get in the way.  I'm also a bit of a tart so whatever I buy will be on show. :D

58 minutes ago, Velizark0 said:

Hello mate :)

I will say get something plane and classic date or day date maximum...
I have nothing against chronographs but far to busy on a first look and tick for :
" Something discreet under the cuff"
Pick something versatile that u can put on a night out (taking that's your only watch)

Seiko, Orient, Hamilton are watches for every day abuse in my opinion..

Hope that help you




Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 

Yep, this will be my only watch (certainly for now) and you're right about some of the chronographs looking busy. :)

Hadn't thought/heard about Hamilton so thanks for the steer.

43 minutes ago, OldHooky said:

To be honest, none of those unless you have a real desire for one of them. £500 opens up all sorts of far better options, especially if you'd considered used.

You've obviously got Roy's pieces, then you can consider Timefactors, Certina, Seiko, Hamilton, Citizen, Junghans, Longines, George Jensen, Elliot Brown, Glycine, 

And if you go used, Sinn and Damasko

Here's a good place to start browsing: https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/mens-watches-501-1000

I'd certainly consider used, I like the idea of continuing a watch's story, a la Pulp Fiction.  One of the hardest things I'm finding about choosing a watch is what is good and what is an over-priced fashion accessory.  For example, what constitutes 'better'?  Is there a "Idiots Guide to Watches" that I can read somewhere as I'm genuinely interested to know more

Thanks for the suggested brands, I shall have a look through them. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love chronographs so I wouldn't be put off by some comments. There easy enough to read in my opinion. The CW is the pick of the bunch for me. Good brand and not too thick that you have to worry about cuffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fat_Bibendum said:


I work in an office so would appreciate something discreet that could be worn under a shirt cuff. 

Thanks in advance. :)

Eco Zilla it is then!

Sorry, seriously though I would go with the CW. :thumbsup:

Edited by Timez Own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't buy a CW in anything other than a sale - their prices fall faster than a fast thing. I'm not sure much depreciates as fast, which even if you intend to hang on to it will smart a bit.

The following would certainly not be considered fashion pieces, but pieces owned by folks who are interested in quality watches: Timefactors, Junghans, Elliot Brown, Glycine, Sinn, Damasko.

I'd also add the Seiko Sumo, Poljot Aviator I for a Chrono, although there are plenty of others which fit the bill, just that this one is a bit more a watch fan's piece.

Archimede Outdoor, something by Stowa, or if you love the Sub homage style, Squale or Steinhart.

You might even pick up a Fortis or Ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fat_Bibendum said:

I'm a first time poster so my apologies if my post is something you see on a regular basis.

I haven't worn a watch in over 13 years and have been one of those annoying people who uses their phone to check the time. My birthday is approaching and my folks want to get me a watch.

Budget is £500 for something that would be worn everyday and I'm looking for suggestions please. So far these three watches have caught my eye (apologies, I can't post links just yet):

Junkers G38 Power Reserve Automatic - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-g38-power-reserve-automatic-watch-6960-4-p99977922.html

Junkers BauhausChronograph - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-bauhaus-chronograph-watch-6086-2-p99967857.html

88 Rue Du Rhone Double 8 Origin Chronograph - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-88-rue-du-rhone-double-8-origin-42mm-chronograph-watch-87wa140029-p99968606.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shoppingfeeds&source=froogle&gclid=CJynzOO539ACFe-97QoddtgCzw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Christopher Ward C7 Rapide Chronograph - https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c7-rapide-chronograph-mkii-v390-3

I have no idea how good/bad any of those watches/brands are as I know next to nothing about watches but am happy to learn. For some reason I quite like the idea of an automatic watch.

I work in an office so would appreciate something discreet that could be worn under a shirt cuff. 

Thanks in advance. :)

 

9 hours ago, Fat_Bibendum said:

I'm a first time poster so my apologies if my post is something you see on a regular basis.

I haven't worn a watch in over 13 years and have been one of those annoying people who uses their phone to check the time. My birthday is approaching and my folks want to get me a watch.

Budget is £500 for something that would be worn everyday and I'm looking for suggestions please. So far these three watches have caught my eye (apologies, I can't post links just yet):

Junkers G38 Power Reserve Automatic - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-g38-power-reserve-automatic-watch-6960-4-p99977922.html

Junkers BauhausChronograph - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-bauhaus-chronograph-watch-6086-2-p99967857.html

88 Rue Du Rhone Double 8 Origin Chronograph - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-88-rue-du-rhone-double-8-origin-42mm-chronograph-watch-87wa140029-p99968606.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shoppingfeeds&source=froogle&gclid=CJynzOO539ACFe-97QoddtgCzw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Christopher Ward C7 Rapide Chronograph - https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c7-rapide-chronograph-mkii-v390-3

I have no idea how good/bad any of those watches/brands are as I know next to nothing about watches but am happy to learn. For some reason I quite like the idea of an automatic watch.

I work in an office so would appreciate something discreet that could be worn under a shirt cuff. 

Thanks in advance. :)

you could try one of these. Different styles colours and strap options. You should be able to pick a quartz up for £500large.58473121e2a07_LonginesHydroConquestL3_690_4_03_6Automatic3-hands.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the (addictive) world of watches!

A year or so ago I was in your shoes - a general appreciation and interest in watches but no big investments, big birthday coming up... and now I have a collection of a good handful that make me smile, give me pride when I wear them and I'm just starting building up my own watch from scratch(ish).

My advice is simple. If it looks good to you, if it feels comfortable when you wear it and if you find yourself looking at it just to admire it rather than just to check the time, then buy it.  That covers form and aesthetics.

As for brands, I have great faith in Christopher Ward. I have a couple of their offerings and thair after-sales and customer service is second to none.  If you are planning on long term ownership then this has to be a serious consideration.

Hope this helps,

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 22:45, JimboJames1972 said:

Welcome to the (addictive) world of watches!

A year or so ago I was in your shoes - a general appreciation and interest in watches but no big investments, big birthday coming up... and now I have a collection of a good handful that make me smile, give me pride when I wear them and I'm just starting building up my own watch from scratch(ish).

My advice is simple. If it looks good to you, if it feels comfortable when you wear it and if you find yourself looking at it just to admire it rather than just to check the time, then buy it.  That covers form and aesthetics.

As for brands, I have great faith in Christopher Ward. I have a couple of their offerings and thair after-sales and customer service is second to none.  If you are planning on long term ownership then this has to be a serious consideration.

Hope this helps,

J

This is becoming quite addictive already, there are so many I want.  I didn't realize it but I already have three watches (all very entry level but a start nonetheless).  I keep coming back to the CW and the Poljot, they *seem* to be a little bit more unusual/unheard of. 

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 21:49, Jersey1965 said:

 

you could try one of these. Different styles colours and strap options. You should be able to pick a quartz up for £500

Having said the above, I like the look of that Longines too.  Some problems are nice to have. :)

Thank you all for your input, it all helps add to this pleasurable experience. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll echo what the others said: Seiko, Hamilton, Longines, .... are all brands to check out.

However, I would strongly encourage you to try the watch of your fancy on before buying !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With my WIS head on I'd buy a vintage Tudor, manual wind or automatic - no reason why it won't last you out worn everyday. 

I've been looking at this my-self for a skim over 600 notes. 

s-l1600.jpg

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a vintage devotee I would have to agree with @Nigelp, it would represent a better investment potential.

Buying new for the budget you have indicated would pretty much guarantee depreciation the moment you put it on your wrist.

Having said that, we all have to pay for our pleasures in life :yes:

As alluded to above, it's what 'you' like that's important & try some on the wrist if you can?

Enjoy the journey & good luck!

Alan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would go for a nice Seiko that can be used on a bracelet (office) or a nato - the sumo. My other favourite at the moment is Glycine. Their combat subs are amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of good recommendations, I still stand by my vintage Tudor, but I agree that if its value for money in a modern watch and you want Swiss, then Longines are very very hard to beat. As are Oris. 

Try these I got a couple of hundred quid off an LLD and I think they do the HC too http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/?gclid=COaCnt2r5dACFe2w7Qodw0IF4A

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flycaster said:

Steinhart, nothing else in MIHO.

Yes. Had mine on for over a week and loving it.:yes:

o1bronze_1kx1k_c2_02_1_2.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Flycaster said:

Steinhart, nothing else in MIHO.

Likewise!

If choosing to buy new this definitely has to be up there, representing the best value for buck's spent IMHO:thumbsup:

There again, I would say that.....wouldn't I :yes:

Alan

Edited by Karrusel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...