• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

There seems to have been some previous disjointed posting about Camy across the site but surely they deserve to have their own brand topic?

• Thanks 1

I will try and put members out of their misery with regard to this less well-known watch company, but please note that this is not the definitive version of Camy. Before I begin this post, however, I must blow my nose and get out my Camy "Sinusflex" watch to keep channels clear.:laugh: What a ghastly name for a watch...

Anyway, to business:

Camy Watch S.A. turns out to be a rather intriguing company, with no lesser figure than Raymond Weil joining and managing it from 1949, for 26 years. Later, of course, Raymond Weil formed his own watch company - Raymond Weil Geneve (grave accent on second 'e') - and although Weil's own concern is still an independent quality watchmaking firm, it does not seem to have quite the kudos of other quality makers of similarly priced watches.

Camy Watch was founded in Grenchen in 1913, and for a period I cannot ascertain, was certainly listed as "Fabrique d'Horlogerie Camy - Stroun Freres S.A." Unfortunately, although the firm produced some good quality watches for over sixty years, very little is known about it. What we do have though, are many surviving Camy watches, with the more interesting models tending to date to the 1970s. For those wishing to see a selection of vintage Camy watches, I suggest an online trip to, lahorevintagewatch_blogspot.co.uk/p/page-45.html., and I include a few pictures of vintage Camys here below. Apart from the Raymond Weil connection, it is also notable that Simone Bedat (acute accent on 'e') also joined Camy from about the mid 1940s, and was to work closely with Weil. Once again, Bedat was to be a watch brand/company in its own right, but I do not propose to go down the Bedat route here - perhaps on another occasion. 

In terms of movements, Camy used ebauches made by other firms, even though they are usually signed "CAMY." Mid-range ETA movements appear, as do more upmarket ebauches, and the firm also produced chronograph watches (often with Valjoux 7733/4 movements) and dive models.

Interestingly, the Camy models from the Raymond Weil years bear the brand name, "CAMY/GENEVE" and I cannot help thinking that this may reflect on Raymond Weil's later concern where the "Geneve" tag also occurs in the brand name. As for model names, Camy Watch went in for using a plethora of different model labels that occur on the dials. These include the model varieties illustrated above by staffie, with Rallyking, Airport, and SuperAutomatic being a few other model titles. 

As a final note on Camy, it appears that the brand came in for a revival in 1999, when some new automatic models in tungsten were produced. However, as of today, the Camy is evidently not a player, and I don't think watches branded "Camy" are being made currently, although with so many brand names rising and falling I cannot be certain.

Camy Rallyking wristwatch with "SuperAutomatic" ETA  cal. 2780 movement (pic from thewatchspot.co.uk):

Camy-Airport-RallyKing.jpg

• Like 3

Back again on this one, and I got your message dear staffie, on your Girard-Perrigaux thread. Please also note that in my listing of the lahorevintagewatch site I made a tiny error where the lower dash should actually be a dot. Apologies.

I just had to put this picture here to show another Camy Sputnik wristwatch. How about the number of jewels in this one then? :laugh:  I have read that no watch can really benefit from such a ludicrous "richness" of jewels (pic from netgrafik.ch):

ruwsputnik3a.jpg

Edited by Always"watching"
  • Like 2

On 13/12/2016 at 16:07, Always"watching" said:

How about the number of jewels in this one then?

OMG - you could open a jewellers shop with just that one watch :thumbsup:. What a lovely looking watch though, dare I say it there is something 'timeless' about them and they are eminently wearable. Yet again a set of watches that, following my initial surge of being good and selling some off from my father's collection, will undoubtedly be held as watches to wear.

Fascinated to see the relationship you identified with Raymond Weil as my father had 2 and I have added to that with a new one last year which I bought whilst on a cruise (on the ship, not from on-shore dodgy merchant!). I love the styles and to me any watch has to be clear and perform its primary purpose of telling the time - hence why I could not resist the Maestro at a good discount price.

• Like 1

Joined this forum while I was looking for information on this loft find and found this excellent thread, my guess would be the watch pictured has been undisturbed for a minimum twenty years, probably a lot longer. Upon handling the second hand started and is still moving hours later as I type this, which I find quite impressive due to my Seiko experiences. I'm only a casual collector and certainly not able to attempt a restoration myself but I quite like the look of this one and would like to wear it occasionaly. At the very least the glass needs attention or replacing and a new strap fitting, any idea what I could expect to pay to get this into clean wearable condition?

No one has a Camy watch of their own to post?

Mine isn't the finest example, with its 17J FHF-ST 96 which Ranfft dates to 1965. It wears small - 31mm across and 41mm diagonal with concealed 18mm lugs. Not my favourite by a long way, but kinda cute. :)

Camy FHF-ST 96Camy

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 1