UK Watch Forum banner

Top Gun or Daytona?

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Culminator 
#1 ·
I've convinced myself to buy another used watch but can only afford it if the man maths stack up. Basically, that means that whatever I get must be a fairly solid investment, or at least not drop in value too much, hence the "used" only option.

With a maximum budget of £9k, I'm currently attracted to both an IWC Top Gun (nearly new) or a black face Daytona. Which one would the sensible money be on? I tried the IWC on the other day and it suits me, love the watch but not sure how they are perceived. The Rolex has a strong following but not sure if it might be a bit too ostentatious for me. Any others I might need to consider?

#2 ·
Daytona by a long margin. IWC is a good make but won't hold money anything like as solidly as a Rolex...

A good alternative to the Daytona in my opinion is the Vacheron Oversea's, if you buy one secondhand this is a watch you shouldn't do your plums on but still not a Rolex. Whatever you think of the brand Rolex this name is so well known and associated with value that it is just too easy to sell which gives it an advantage even over well respected brands like Vacheron.

Reactions: Always"watching"
#6 ·
Daytona by a long margin. IWC is a good make but won't hold money anything like as solidly as a Rolex...

A good alternative to the Daytona in my opinion is the Vacheron Oversea's, if you buy one secondhand this is a watch you shouldn't do your plums on but still not a Rolex. Whatever you think of the brand Rolex this name is so well known and associated with value that it is just too easy to sell which gives it an advantage even over well respected brands like Vacheron.
Exactly agree with Dave.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Daytona is classic,but too common ( for the people who can indulge themselves with it).

The design is iconic, the lack of day/date functions is deal breaker for some.

You can also check JLS Deep Sea Chrono in this price bracket and VC Overseas Chrono.

jaeger-lecoultre-deep-sea-chronograph-cermet-1.jpg

5500V-110A-B148_RV.jpg

Last come in white, blue , black , grey and something like dark mocca/brown-ish...

Lush

Cheers

Dimitar

#5 ·
I've convinced myself to buy another used watch but can only afford it if the man maths stack up. Basically, that means that whatever I get must be a fairly solid investment, or at least not drop in value too much, hence the "used" only option.

With a maximum budget of £9k, I'm currently attracted to both an IWC Top Gun (nearly new) or a black face Daytona. Which one would the sensible money be on? I tried the IWC on the other day and it suits me, love the watch but not sure how they are perceived. The Rolex has a strong following but not sure if it might be a bit too ostentatious for me. Any others I might need to consider?
The Rolex would be the safe bet for a future resale but if you really like the IWC then I would go for that. Far better to wear a watch that you like even if it loses some value than wear one that is only OK but maintains value. Otherwise buy something cheaper and hold onto the cash.

#7 ·
The Rolex is a solid choice, but I share the worries about it being both common and ostentatious all at the same time. I would be looking for something that few people know from a real premium brand, like the Overseas mentioned, or something from AP like this

2016-11-05_07-39-45

which I can say with confidence, as I bought it. Rolex make 1m watches a year, AP 40k. So you will see 25 Daytonas from the same year as one of these Millenary models. And this has a date function.

For 9k you could get this and have enough left over for a Breguet XXI!

#10 ·
Good shout on the Breguet type XX aeronvale is worth a look.

breguet_image.1133006.jpg

#13 ·
Yup, I reckon the Rolex is a safe bet, but surely for nine grand you could find something a bit special. I reckon that the market for fine vintage watches is always going to respect the top makers whoever they are, and whilst Rolex is always a safe option, something grander this way comes - if you play your cards right and have patience. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.