Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Culminator

Top Gun or Daytona?

Recommended Posts

I've convinced myself to buy another used watch but can only afford it if the man maths stack up. Basically, that means that whatever I get must be a fairly solid investment, or at least not drop in value too much, hence the "used" only option.

With a maximum budget of £9k, I'm currently attracted to both an IWC Top Gun (nearly new) or a black face Daytona. Which one would the sensible money be on? I tried the IWC on the other day and it suits me, love the watch but not sure how they are perceived. The Rolex has a strong following but not sure if it might be a bit too ostentatious for me. Any others I might need to consider?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daytona by a long margin.   IWC is a good make but won't hold money anything like as solidly as a Rolex...

A good alternative to the Daytona in my opinion is the Vacheron Oversea's, if you buy one secondhand this is a watch you shouldn't do your plums on but still not a Rolex.  Whatever you think of the brand Rolex this name is so well known and associated with value that it is just too easy to sell which gives it an advantage even over well respected brands like Vacheron.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daytona is classic,but too common ( for the people who can indulge themselves with it).

The design is iconic, the lack of day/date functions is deal breaker for some.

You can also check JLS Deep Sea Chrono in this price bracket and VC Overseas Chrono.

 

jaeger-lecoultre-deep-sea-chronograph-cermet-1.jpg

5500V-110A-B148_RV.jpg

Last come in white, blue , black , grey and something like dark mocca/brown-ish...

Lush

Cheers

Dimitar

Edited by mitadoc
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Culminator said:

I've convinced myself to buy another used watch but can only afford it if the man maths stack up. Basically, that means that whatever I get must be a fairly solid investment, or at least not drop in value too much, hence the "used" only option.

With a maximum budget of £9k, I'm currently attracted to both an IWC Top Gun (nearly new) or a black face Daytona. Which one would the sensible money be on? I tried the IWC on the other day and it suits me, love the watch but not sure how they are perceived. The Rolex has a strong following but not sure if it might be a bit too ostentatious for me. Any others I might need to consider?

The Rolex would be the safe bet for a future resale but if you really like the IWC then I would go for that. Far better to wear a watch that you like even if it loses some value than wear one that is only OK but maintains value. Otherwise buy something cheaper and hold onto the cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Daytona by a long margin.   IWC is a good make but won't hold money anything like as solidly as a Rolex...

A good alternative to the Daytona in my opinion is the Vacheron Oversea's, if you buy one secondhand this is a watch you shouldn't do your plums on but still not a Rolex.  Whatever you think of the brand Rolex this name is so well known and associated with value that it is just too easy to sell which gives it an advantage even over well respected brands like Vacheron.

Exactly agree with Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rolex is a solid choice, but I share the worries about it being both common and ostentatious all at the same time.  I would be looking for something that few people know from a real premium brand, like the Overseas mentioned, or something from AP like this

 

2016-11-05_07-39-45

 

which I can say with confidence, as I bought it.  Rolex make 1m watches a year, AP 40k.  So you will see 25 Daytonas from the same year as one of these Millenary models.  And this has a date function.

For 9k you could get this and have enough left over for a Breguet XXI!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Culminator said:

With a maximum budget of £9k,

:swoon:

I can't relate to that sort of spending on a watch, but it must be a nice position to be in, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you end up buying. :thumbs_up:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mitadoc said:

 

Some Blancpains...Just to make your choice tougher :)

Can't get excited about Blancpain since I figured out it translates to white bread 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I reckon the Rolex is a safe bet, but surely for nine grand you could find something a bit special. I reckon that the market for fine vintage watches is always going to respect the top makers whoever they are, and whilst Rolex is always a safe option, something grander this way comes - if you play your cards right and have patience.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Can't get excited about Blancpain since I figured out it translates to white bread 

Something like this?

41538011_1_640x640.jpg?identifier=75b299dccfbb513a556ea4d23bb7ce49

 

:)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Can't get excited about Blancpain since I figured out it translates to white bread 

Scott, when Jehan-Jacques Blancpain started his watchmaking in a farmhouse in Villeret the watchmakers worked downstairs whilst he & his family lived upstairs.

Come lunchtime Mrs B would stamp on the floor summoning the workers upstairs everyday for.........

'Bread & Soup' :laugh:

True.

Alan

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...