• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JayDeep

Favorite "affordable" brands

11 minutes ago, Roy said:

Hardlex crystal and worth every penny imhomm300new.jpg

Such a piece of beauty. I hear that Seiko has two different grades of Hardlex, actually. The higher grade in the ISO rated/Prospex line, the lower in the Seiko 5 sports.

I wish there was more info on the degree of difference in hardness. You'd think Seiko would want it's customers to know this.

7 hours ago, Damo516 said:

Generally sapphire crystals are thinner than hardlex, to make a sapphire the same thickness as hardlex is not cost effective for Seiko. Ultimately, if they did make them the price would be passed on to customers making them unfavourable compared to its competitors - where would that leave Seiko in the sales department??

As mentioned by Monty, they are intended for diving, if you don't want a dive watch then don't buy it. The other option is to swap out the hardlex for a sapphire at your expense... 

Seiko and Steinhart for me :)

Yes I forget about Steinhart. Very good.

I think Seiko would find that not only would a major portion of it's current customers gladly pay the extra for the Sapphire, but they'd gain a huge customer base they are missing. It truly wouldn't be that much at all considering mass production and not paying for the Hardlex. Seems like very unsound logic to me.

And while hundreds of other companies are able to do so with little to no difference in cost, there is no excuse in my eyes.

I'm not trying to knock your favorite watch, but things deserving of criticism should be criticized. It's just opinion based on taste. I'm only so passionate about it because I really want to be a proud Seiko owner, but with their current offerings I could never be.

The entire dive watch excuse it utterly worthless to me. I'm willing to bet that over 90 percent of their consumers don't dive. I would also wager that about the same percent of Sapphire crystal watches that are used for diving have not broken or shattered at all. So you're left with probability vs possibility, as you always are. Which do you side with? I always go with probability, as would any intelligent creature.

And again, I'm only suggesting that wisdom and market demand shows Seiko remiss in not offering at least a few Sapphire options in everyday divers. Even a simple limited production run to test the theory. Not that it hasn't already been done for them by every other company out there, with great success.

Anyway, not a big deal. They've had my money more than once. Seems I have to remind myself what little respect I have for them every few years. I agree I can go the aftermarket route, but I really just don't find the inconvenience worth it.

Even beyond all this is my point about their movements. Terrible tolerance in base movements employed in watches up to 400 USD.

For me it would bo Christopher Ward, Ollech & Wajs and Seiko.

These are the brands that I have had most enjoyable, personal experience. I feel that they offer a good variety of models that offer good value for money.

J

18 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I just can't get on the Seiko bus. 

We agree on something watch related!! :clap:

I think I know what affordable is supposed to mean in this context, so I won't be facetious (for once:laugh:).

Orient and Christopher Ward for me.

My Tank was affordable because it was bought to remember an uncle who had remembered me generously in his will.

19 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I just can't get on the Seiko bus. I've tried many times and each time I do I find a reason not to like them at all. They're so cheap. While I can buy an Orient auto with Sapphire and solid link bracelet for under 300, Seiko is still using Hardlex in their 1000 plus watches.

The Seiko I just bought I just returned for this reason. I'd rather have a Bulova or citizen or Orient a million times before I ever bought another Seiko.

It's not that they're bad watches, I just think they abuse their name and their customers. Nobody should pay over 500 for a watch with a 7s26 out 4r36 and a glorified mineral crystal. Not today when Sapphire is so readily available and easy to manufacture. But that's just me as a desk diver. I know real divers that agree and those that don't. They should at least have offerings for the masses.

Seiko own Orient BTW :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVO said:

We agree on something watch related!! :clap:

I think I know what affordable is supposed to mean in this context, so I won't be facetious (for once:laugh:).

Orient and Christopher Ward for me.

My Tank was affordable because it was bought to remember an uncle who had remembered me generously in his will.

1 hour ago, martinzx said:

Seiko own Orient BTW :thumbsup:

Oh dear.........:laugh:

Sorry, Steve....only jesting with you!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Oh dear.........:laugh:

No, that's fine. I have a couple of cheap Makos for swimming, beater work and holidays. Wouldn't dream of wearing them for owt else. I like the Makos because they are quite pretty. Seiko divers I find ugly in general.

• Like 1

Just now, AVO said:

No, that's fine. I have a couple of cheap Makos for swimming, beater work and holidays. Wouldn't dream of wearing them for owt else. I like the Makos because they are quite pretty. Seiko divers I find ugly in general.

I was just playing, Steve, and must admit to liking the Apeks divers too. There was one on the SC a couple of weeks ago, and if I'd been quick enough, it would be on my wrist now....but hey ho.....perhaps the new owner won't bond with it.....:naughty:

• Like 1

Have to agree with Seiko, I have 2 and a half (rare error of judgement with an Indian one, automatic, keeps good time but ugly)  Accurist, I have 4 and Citizen. Oh and Fossil because they are bigger, heavier and I like em!

Edited by niveketak

Got to say I don't really have a favourite brand, but think Seiko make some great affordable watches as do Orient and Citizen, some of the Eco drives are simply superb for the money. Also, the Scurfa Diver 1 I purchased off this fine forum is amazing value for the money. In the vintage class I particularly like Rados, I have 3 excellent Rados as does Mrs Cactus, all great value for money. 

6 hours ago, AVO said:

Odd. I guess I get so upset with Seiko because I love the look of them all. They epitomize what I desire, except for size. Yet they refuse to utilize what I consider quality materials and products.

I'm still back and forth on the turtle reissue. I just know if I do it I'll just return it or give to a family member out of disgust with paying almost 400 for something with a 4r36 and Hardlex.

• Like 1

Seiko, Citizen, and a little more expensive, Tisso. I bought a Tisso recently and got a quartz chronograph. The finishing for the price (£280) is excellent.

2 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Odd. I guess I get so upset with Seiko because I love the look of them all. They epitomize what I desire, except for size.

9 hours ago, AVO said:

Seiko divers I find ugly in general.

Normal service resumed. Thank goodness. You had me worried there for a while.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AVO said:

Normal service resumed. Thank goodness. You had me worried there for a while.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

I'm having one for breakfast with yoghurt and café con leche.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I think Seiko would find that not only would a major portion of it's current customers gladly pay the extra for the Sapphire, but they'd gain a huge customer base they are missing. It truly wouldn't be that much at all considering mass production and not paying for the Hardlex. Seems like very unsound logic to me.

I would imagine that mentioning the word "Hardlex" to the majority of the watch buying public would mean less than "Elastesse".

Seiko is the best value for money in the affordable watch game imo. Tissot would be my go-to affordable Swiss and as mentioned above I think the vintage Omega market has some great offerings for small budgets.

I don't think Seiko are daft, a £400 hardlex is more appealing to me than a £600 sapphire (assuming the rest of the watch features are comparable) largely because if I'm considering paying £600 for a watch I'd rather go a little further and get something special for around £1,000. I don't think £600 is an inviting price point. 

The survey is too reductive to vote because there is a huge array of Swiss movements and a huge array of jap movements, and there's more to a watch than whether or not it has a hardlex or sapphire crystal.

4 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Odd. I guess I get so upset with Seiko because I love the look of them all. They epitomize what I desire, except for size. Yet they refuse to utilize what I consider quality materials and products.

I'm still back and forth on the turtle reissue. I just know if I do it I'll just return it or give to a family member out of disgust with paying almost 400 for something with a 4r36 and Hardlex.

I'm 100% with this, the biggest disappointment in my collection is a Seiko SNZH57, it looked great on screen but felt flimsy when I got it. I'd love an SKX of some kind but worried it would be the same, maybe I should give an Orient a go.

10 minutes ago, Seikotherapy said:

Seiko is the best value for money in the affordable watch game imo. Tissot would be my go-to affordable Swiss and as mentioned above I think the vintage Omega market has some great offerings for small budgets.

I don't think Seiko are daft, a £400 hardlex is more appealing to me than a £600 sapphire (assuming the rest of the watch features are comparable) largely because if I'm considering paying £600 for a watch I'd rather go a little further and get something special for around £1,000. I don't think £600 is an inviting price point. 

The survey is too reductive to vote because there is a huge array of Swiss movements and a huge array of jap movements, and there's more to a watch than whether or not it has a hardlex or sapphire crystal.

Sound like a typical Seiko fanboy to me. Lol

No worries, but you make zero sense to me. My real screen name should've been Seiko hater. I do so hate them. Justifiably so. I guess I'd say 2824 vs 4r36/7s26 was the intentional comparison. But for me is as easy as Hardlex vs Sapphire. Very very very very very very very easy.

Yes I still say Hardlex is fine. But my money deserves better than just fine.

Each to their own! I don't understand why people are getting so upset, if you're not happy with a product you've spent a lot of money on take it back.

We get that you don't like hardlex, being derisive of people that don't mind a trade-off has a whiff of watch snobbery to me.

2 minutes ago, Toddy101 said:

Seiko and Casio for me. Couldnt give a toss if my watches have hardlex or sapphire........life's too short:laugh:

+ Citizen.

• Like 1

REPORT: SUSPECT BEATS VICTIMS WITH BASEBALL BAT, WRECKS BEDROOM OVER CHRISTMAS GIFT ARGUMENT ABOUT WRISTWATCH CRYSTAL. SUSPECT MADE A CLEAR GETAWAY, POLICE ARE LOOKING INTO IT.