• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Andy_G

Selling a watch on ebay

What's with all the morons on eBay?! 

Along with putting my watch up for sale on SC, I've put it on eBay as well. Within 12 hours I was notified it was sold. Great! No, the guy then emailed me two false emails copying PayPal and eBay saying that payment was pending until there was a delivery code that I sent the watch to Nigeria. 

9EBEA6EB-5DCB-4BD6-A3AD-872678D45028_zps

D577F16D-6C17-432C-ABCE-7D8849B1854E_zps

Sure enough after I queryied him on the false email address, both from a gmail account I've not heard back.

So, relisted the watch again and a day later boom, sold again. Or has it. The usual I'll put payment through when I get home from work ( in very broken English) and shock horror no more to be seen of him. 

Here's me thinking I had to watch getting scammed buying watches, never mind selling the bloody things! 

Rant over! 

I have pay watch now send money  for prince abudacdac in prison need out so have fortune big dollar with you share please thankyou Mr.

:swoon:

• Like 3

I've spotted 3 very fake Omega Seamaster Planet Oceans in the last couple of days.  Only spotted them because I have "Seamaster" in my saved searches, just in case....

Each one has looked good enough, just the tiniest hints it's a fake (usually mis-placing of the "Swiss Made" at six o'clock).  Each one reported straight to eBay.  Each one removed within 24 hours.

Me thinks there is a glut of fakes bought for Christmas and people looking to get shot?

J

I've stopped selling on EBay after an increasing number of fake buyers and poor excuses.   Best are the zero feedback merchants who overbid, win and then vanish.  Then the ones who push the BIN button and then ask you to cancel the order as they made it in error.  But best of all was the guy in the US who did a charge back on his credit card to avoid paying the bill while waltzing around wearing my Superocean.  

Never again , dont need the aggro which is a shame as I've dealt with some real good buyers and sellers too 

• Like 1

ebay can be a nightmare for some but for me i have had some good experiences selling stuff. Once a guy won an auction and didnt pay but apart from that i have found it to be ok. I was though looking at watches (as you do) on there and found a Hamilton Khaki - i say this is the loosest sense. It looked like a fake from the front photo. The bidswere up to £156. Upon reading the sales pitc at the bottom of page the guy had stated 'after checking the watch i have found it is not actually working, not sure whats wrong with it but looks like a great watch'....haha i find that stuff hilarious. 8 people had bid on it. 

On this main issue from the thread though, i always use the internal ebay site to manage my sales and largely ignore emails from 'ebay' which go straight into a folder in my inbox. 

• Like 2

There are settings in the ebay account options section that help prevent such things such as requiring the buyer to instantly pay once he bought the item or not allowing users to see your listings or buy from you unless they meet certain criteria (positive/negative feedback ratio, country, etc.).

• Like 2

I've sold quite a lot of things on eBay and only really had two problems: one was an Aussie guy who couldn't wait for the item to arrive and threatened to send his deranged cousin round to mine, and the second was a Turkish guy intent on a post-sale discount.  The moral seemed to be only sell to the UK, so that's what I do now.

• Like 1

This is why I have pretty much stopped using eBay to sell watches. I tend to use a reasonably local auction house , they are connected to the internet so the audience is worldwide, the fees by the time eBay have taken their 10% including off the postage , paypal taken another 4% are pretty much the same. The thing is they photograph it write it up sell it post it and you don't have to deal with idiots trying to pull a fast one , you just wait for the cheque to drop on the mat. 

I have said it before on the forum , I treat eBay a bit like gambling and never bet with more than I can afford to loose , and certainly wouldn't sell anything of high value on eBay personally. 

Edited by andyclient
  • Like 1

All my listings are UK only, it doesn't remove the chance of idiots or criminals but it certainly lessens it. The reality is that ebay is a lottery when it comes to selling, the buyer has all the cards these days and if he is remotely dodgy can stitch up the seller every time. Returns for instance are rife where pp or ebay insist on refunding upon proof of postage even though the scrote may have returned an empty box or a box of bits.

My favourite are the sellers usually from China always selling cheep arse watches with a handsome or beautiful nabbed picture of a model with their awful £1 watch paint-shopped  in on their wrist! :laugh:    As if .......

Anyone else seen these? they crack me up!