• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JayDeep

Ever shattered a sapphire?

Shattered sapphire yes or no?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

Let's get real. How many of you have actually shattered a sapphire.

And none of this bs about you know a guy that knows a guy that claims they did. No heard it through the grape vine. Only first person accounts.

Edited by JayDeep

This is tempting fate so I'm not going to answer or vote.   The Poles call it " calling the wolf out of the forest." :whistle:

• Like 2

No. I have shattered two crystals though, an old one I was taking out and it's replacement as I was putting it in! On the Pulsar diver I cleaned up!  :whistle:

I recently purchased a ladies/ boys watch for my mom  that needs crystal replaced but out of 15/20 dies I have none were small enough so am now awaiting delivery of yet another set to do the job before ordering the correct crystal to put in ( I will be ordering 2/3).  :rolleyes:

This "cheap"  watch is nay looking so cheap no more!    :bash:

Never shattered any crystal whilst wearing a watch be it acrylic, sapphire, hardlex or sapphire. Have shattered all whilst removing or fitting though.

2 minutes ago, Roy said:

Never shattered any crystal whilst wearing a watch be it acrylic, sapphire, hardlex or sapphire. Have shattered all whilst removing and fitting though.

Thanks that made me feel not so inadequate, if its good enough for the pro's it's good enough for me.       :teethsmile:

Shall I put this topic to bed,,,,,with a little help from Powell's finest No 7's.

Pretty sure it will break anything.

large.IMG_2133.JPG

:yes:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Like 4

Just now, brummie1875 said:

Thanks that made me feel not so inadequate, if its good enough for the pro's it's good enough for me.       :teethsmile:

It's easily done, some sapphire and mineral crystals are brittle, sapphire I have found to be easier to break on removal and fitting, obviously not the thick divers ones before it starts another debate. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, Roy said:

It's easily done, some sapphire and mineral crystals are brittle, sapphire I have found to be easier to break on removal and fitting, obviously not the thick divers ones before it starts another debate. :thumbsup:

Pretty much guaranteed this will end up pear shaped then as this one can only be 1.5mm thick maximum. Maybe underestimated with 2/3 order.    :character0275:

• Like 1

I would and never will let the crystal be the deciding factor on a watch purchase, where do you stop. Seiko spring bars are the thickest and strongest so I'm never buying an Omega that has inferior bars, I'm saying nowt else on the subject  :Snore:

• Like 6

I'll never forget smashing my dad's sapphire on his Rolex Perpetual, about 25 years ago we collided on bicycles (I hit him!), and we both fell off, and his watch hit the ground face down. He wasn't best pleased!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RWP said:

This is tempting fate so I'm not going to answer or vote.   The Poles call it " calling the wolf out of the forest." :whistle:

Can't remember the last vote where the poles were correct

• Like 2

I did, but it was my own fault, I put my thumb through one trying to get the back on... standing in a doorway with the watch against one doorframe and me against the other was always a technique that seemed to get any stubborn watch back on, but not on that particular occasion.  I figure I put about 120kg of pressure into it, but it was a watch with a large diameter, and didn't like it.

3 minutes ago, SBryantgb said:

Can't remember the last vote where the poles were correct

Happens in Poland frequently .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Why are you so obsessed with watch crystals?

Errrrrr......part of watches unless I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

Yep, dropped my Hamilton Khaki Field Quartz a while ago and the sapphire now has a crack running across it. Not just a scratch but a proper crack. So not shattered but not far off.

• Like 1

It seems you'd have to do something quite drastic to smash or even mark a sapphire, my Steinhart looks pristine despite some heavy impacts.

I always wince if I touch the Hesalite on my speedy on anything, I've had to use quite a bit of polywatch now!

1 hour ago, Roy said:

obviously not the thick divers

Your suggesting some are not thick - there are all sorts of nasty things in the water:thumbs_up:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy said:

I would and never will let the crystal be the deciding factor on a watch purchase, where do you stop. Seiko spring bars are the thickest and strongest so I'm never buying an Omega that has inferior bars, I'm saying nowt else on the subject  :Snore:

You wouldn't and that's your choice but I absolutely will. It's very important to me.

1 hour ago, whatmeworry said:

Yep, dropped my Hamilton Khaki Field Quartz a while ago and the sapphire now has a crack running across it. Not just a scratch but a proper crack. So not shattered but not far off.

Close enough. Damage was all I meant. I should've been more specific perhaps but I think most are intelligent enough to gleen no?

1 hour ago, it'salivejim said:

Why are you so obsessed with watch crystals?

It's the most important part as far as I'm concerned. It's the most exposed portion and is the first line of defense, protecting the components that make it run.

So yeah, it's a a big deal to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

It's the most important part as far as I'm concerned. It's the most exposed portion and is the first line of defense, protecting the components that make it run.

So yeah, it's a a big deal to me.

You can't deny that your obsession is rather sad though. If you dont like hardlex, don't buy a watch with it. Maybe Seiko could get a few extra customers by offering g a sapphire option. Meanwhile it is used in Seiko watches for a reason and people continue to love seiko divers watches for a reason and Seiko look like the last watch company who are worrying about their potential market, their design philosophy seems to be working wonders for them.

You've made your opinion abundantly clear, you don't have to make every thread and post about it. People like Seiko, you dont. Boo boo. 

• Like 5