• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tixntox

Statins?

Has anyone else been put under pressure by their surgery to take "statins"?

After a visit re a damaged knee I was offered the "MOT" for pensioners.  Apart from the torn ligament and cartilage, I was fine but was "offered" blood tests, flu jab etc.  The blood test showed my cholestorol as "slightly high", so was told that the recommendation was that I should go on to statins.  I politely refused the flu jab and the statins and did a bit more exercise and cut down on the "naughty stuff"!  The next test showed my level to be slightly lowered but the push was still on for statins.  I refused again.

Some internet research later and it seems that the "recommendations" are from N.I.C.E., and I have found out that six out of the eight folks in charge at (not so) NICE are in cahoots with drug companies!

What a surprise!

Statins side effects

Mike

Edited by tixntox

As an amputee my surgeon put me on statins not so much for the cholesterol but because they open up / make wider the arteries which helps the blood flow . I do not like taking mine as I wake up on a morning with pins and needles in both arms which lasts about an hour . I did ask if I could come off them but was "advised" to remain on them .  

Have been undergoing MOT's for many years (even before retirement) as a requirement for various licences.

Some years back cholesterol was showing 5.1, BMI 19 (now 21), RHR 52.

Our transport manager who is clinically obese had cholesterol at 3.8 :whistle:WTF!

So I elected to go on a Rabbit's diet for 6 weeks, stuck to it religiously (even no booze), cholesterol went up to 5.6 :bash:

GP said carry on as before & 'no statin's'......cholesterol now 4.8. :biggrin:

P.S. rest of the body is f#!=+d. :yes:

• Like 1

Been on these for about 2 years. Cholesterol now hovers around 5.4 down from the sevens. Oat stuff for breakfast but other than that and occasional bowl of porridge that's been it . 

Like you looked into it as far as could ,seems in addition to possible side effects mentioned there is marginal link to eyesight glaucoma issues. 

Did however receive standard letter from drs last month saying6 month or annual blood tests were being discontinued !!!!!     

as stsatins now "safe" will be having words on next visit.!!!!!

My personal experience isn't good. A liver test six months into treatment showed that I needed to stop taking statins immediately, as they were causing muscle damage (which, if unchecked, can be fatal).

The official statistics for this kind of side-effect talk about 'a few cases per million', but I am aware of five people that started them roughly when I did, and two of us had severe complications. Of the remaining three, only one still takes them. The other two had lesser complications, but still sufficiently unpleasant to halt treatment.

As you say, when assessing the glowing reports for these drugs, it's important to ask who benefits the most from them being prescribed. An interesting aspect to this is 'Number Needed to Treat' (or NTT), a statistic which indicates how many people need to take a drug, over a specified period, for the drug to achieve its designated goal. In the case of statins, a 2015 article in the Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine revealed that, at age 50, 1000 men would need to take a statin for 5 years (at a cost of more than £200,000) in order to delay one death.

Obviously you need to make your own decision Mike, but ask for specific NTT figures for the suggested treatment and be very alive to the chances of an adverse reaction, should you decide to go ahead.

K

P.S. Various industry studies have shown statins to be one of the five most profitable drugs ever produced. Just putting that out there...

Other than a couple of packets of tramadol when I bust my back a few years ago and the odd lemsip for manflu I've never taken anything in my life or had any jabs other than back in the day what they dosed you with whatever at primary school. I got talked into a blood test a few years back by a big growler of a nurse at my surgery who wouldn't take no for an answer. I never went back again for the results.

At the works medical recently the charlatan asked me how many units of booze I drank a week. I said maybe 2 or three I just never mentioned that I measure my units by the bottle.

:laugh: :laugh:

At nearly 60 can't remember the last time I visited a quack. I'm still alive and reasonably fit. 

What's the point in having good internals if your sat in a nappy with your brains turned to cabbage not knowing what day of the week it is.

I'll just take my chances.

:biggrin:

• Like 2

well I too speak from experience and my problem is  cholesterol driven , having had a heat "event" some 3 years back now, my cardiologist is a statin fan !, he put me on Avistatin lasted about six months and suffered so much leg/ muscle pain I had to stop, so I was put  on ROSUVASTATIN advised the most tolerated  by the cardiologist, lasted on that one 14 months , until upper torso/ muscle paint was so bad I did not work for a month, I took myself off that, took nearly a year to completely recover from that episode, so to this Christmas, back to cardiologist, told him no more stains please  I am intolerant! , I am now on a less effective treatment called Ezetrol, we will see how this goes, cardiologist did say I may qualify for a new treatment which some of his patients are on  is administered by injection when NICE give the go ahead ( I don't qualify now as my cholesterol level LDL is not high enough! my overall all reading is 7 !) Oh and it costs NHS a £1000 a month .

I believe I read somewhere stains can help stave off dementia ??

I don't know what to think, I wish I did and reading up on the issue only makes it worse ! , I don't want to check out early , but its no good avoiding one fatal event to live in pain or be hit by another from side effects!

deano

Good choice IMO. I'll never understand taking g statins because you've high cholesterol. Being given a drug is hardly going to encourage you to change your lifestyle. A more extreme example would be just offering anyone overweight lipo and a tuck. 

It's my opinion that a lot health services are there for financial reasons, not health reasons. We've seen plenty of evidence of incentives for doctors to diagnose and prescribe. 

1 hour ago, deano1956 said:

can help stave off dementia ??

Ah the current favourite buzz words on the tip of every companies marketing department tongue.

:whistle:

They are saying that just about everything these days, next they'll be telling me my favourite rich tea biccys' and a cold swim in the north sea every morning with save me.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Ah the current favourite buzz words on the tip of every companies marketing department tongue.

:whistle:

They are saying that just about everything these days, next they'll be telling me my favourite rich tea biccys' and a cold swim in the north sea every morning with save me.

Do you think chocy digestives & warm shower will be equally effective Dr Bond. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, Karrusel said:

Do you think chocy digestives & warm shower will be equally effective Dr Bond. :biggrin:

A really really piping hot shower and a V&RB does the trick for me although my one concession is no ashtray in the shower these days.

21112009177.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

A really really piping hot shower and a V&RB does the trick for me although my one concession is no ashtray in the shower these days.

21112009177.jpg

Do you take on private patients? :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Do you take on private patients? :laugh:

Only if they are busty and blonde

I went to a mates wedding a bit back. Inbetween clearing the tables and the dancing his old man invited the boys to the bar and bought us all a wee half. He then went and had a spin round the dance floor with the bride.

About half way through the tune he keeled over and was brown bread before he hit the dance floor.

Although maybe not so good for the bride and groom but way to go !!!

Something along these lines will do me, out with a bang.

Sounds like I'm the classic older male too, never take anything stronger than a paracetamol but recently started on statins.

I had a prostetic heart valve fitted about 20 years ago and have had to take warfarin every since.  It was discovered I had a heart murmur and I had the operation while still young and before any symptoms appeared. After my annual check last year it was suggested that I start taking statins due to a 'slightly high' cholesterol reading.  I protested but eventually agreed to trial them to see how I got on.

Well 6 months on, no side affects yet and cholesterol is down. Seems you're damned if you do or damned if you don't.

• Like 1

My uncle was on low-level statins for 2 years (probably should have just cut out the thick Aussie Chardonnay) until he was rushed to hospital late last year with off-the-chart blood pressure.

It was conclusively decided that the statins were to blame (known side-effect), so after 2 months dry he hasn't taken them since. He still drinks though so I have no idea how he gets his cholesterol down, but it's a family curse.

When I went for an eye test two years ago the optician mentioned signs of high-cholesterol so I went for a check up and it was a smidgen over the norm. I don't exercise, as in the gym, but I do walk everywhere, swim, and try to take the stairs at work (5 floors) whenever I can. I also started eating oats and doing a bottle of Benecol a day but when I went to get checked a year later I was told I'd have to wait in an hour-long queue for a blood test so I've never bothered.

No idea how I'm doing but I'm not overweight, have a good diet so I'll carry on. I probably (definitely) drink too much but I've cut smoking down to three rollies a day and none at weekends – vaping takes up the slack.

One thing I do know is, I will never take statins. I'd rather join a gym :(

• Like 1

My local surgery had a hypertension nurse which I visited every 6 months for a number of years and every time she advised me to take statins. All I would say to her was only when you take my blood pressure when I am standing, which she refused so I refused the statins. Blood pressure is lower when standing than sat down apparently. My cholestoral has been below 3 for at least the last 5 years with the help of a few diet changes.

I've taken atorvastatin for over a decade. It has performed the desired function. I am genetically predisposed towards high cholesterol, therefore diet and exercise is not sufficient to control my levels.

Later,
William

Has anyone else been put under pressure by their surgery to take "statins"?
After a visit re a damaged knee I was offered the "MOT" for pensioners.  Apart from the torn ligament and cartilage, I was fine but was "offered" blood tests, flu jab etc.  The blood test showed my cholestorol as "slightly high", so was told that the recommendation was that I should go on to statins.  I politely refused the flu jab and the statins and did a bit more exercise and cut down on the "naughty stuff"!  The next test showed my level to be slightly lowered but the push was still on for statins.  I refused again.
Some internet research later and it seems that the "recommendations" are from N.I.C.E., and I have found out that six out of the eight folks in charge at (not so) NICE are in cahoots with drug companies!
What a surprise!
Statins side effects
Mike

Hi Mike,
I did some research on this a while back and yes the drug companies are behind it. Check out this link on "statins cholesterol and Alzheimers"...That's right, Alzheimers!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14574624

Paul

I refused both bas well. The people I know that are on statins, have all had some sort of problem with them.

I was told that as my cholestorol  was borderline, I should take statins.

I told them that, if I am borderline, then I am borderline okay as well, so I won't be taking any..........thanks very much. 

The nurse was not amused.

When I went for my annual physical last Fall, my physician told me that my blood results showed that my cholesterol was slightly elevated and that she would prescribed a low dose of statins at 5mg.. I never had elevated cholesterol in my entire life.

For an entire month, despite the low dosage I suffered insomnia, joint pains, muscle pains, and pins and needles all over. I asked for another blood test that came back normal. Apparently the first test showed a false positive....Took the pills back to the pharmacy for destruction.

Get a second opinion or test  if you can. It might save you a lot of grief.

statin_zpsywlg0v3j.jpg

1 hour ago, BlueKnight said:

When I went for my annual physical last Fall, my physician told me that my blood results showed that my cholesterol was slightly elevated and that she would prescribed a low dose of statins at 5mg.. I never had elevated cholesterol in my entire life.

For an entire month, despite the low dosage I suffered insomnia, joint pains, muscle pains, and pins and needles all over. I asked for another blood test that came back normal. Apparently the first test showed a false positive....Took the pills back to the pharmacy for destruction.

Get a second opinion or test  if you can. It might save you a lot of grief.

statin_zpsywlg0v3j.jpg

I have heard this sort of thing a lot. Hence the reason for not taking any.

I gave them after a few weeks with leg pains.

The D Telegraph ran a campaign to monitor statin effects, and out of the dozens of cases givne was that of a retired gent, chair-bound, who flew to America to visit his son and family. He forgot his statin pills. When he flew back to Blighty, he walked down the stairs from the aircraft unaided.

mike

Edited by dobra